A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fairies wear boots....  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2010 05:16:24 PM »

"Fairies wear boots and now you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it
I tell you no lie"
-Black Sabbath

well, i don't know about others, but this faerie sure does!

look who i found in my backyard today! she was just sitting there at the foot of a tree. she looked so sad sitting there, i stopped to say hi and invited her into the house for some milk and honey, i told her she could meet a new friend.... she agreed, albeit reluctantly....

you see, i've been terrible with my housecleaning lately.... so much so that i discovered another resident of the house.....

a cobweb elf!

the two of them seemed to get along swimmingly, here they are waiting for me to come out of the kitchen:

after our snack they decided to run rampant around the house, causing trouble like only the fair folk can! the animals went crazy! sadly, the dog scared them so much with her barking that they swiftly ran out!

i still see both of them on occasion, and remember to leave out milk, honey and yarn scraps.... for some reason faeries seem to love yarn scraps..... at least those that hang around my crafty household Wink

the details:

the cobweb elf's dress is made of chiffon that i've burned with a lighter to get a cobwebby appearance. it is also hand beaded with glass seed beads to simulate a "dew on a spiderweb" feel.

her wristlets are made of faux leather (as are her eyes) and stitched with embroidery floss.

in these two photos of her wristlet you can also see her spider web knee tattoo

she has spiders in her hair, but she doesn't mind... they just keep it tied up nicely! i made these little guys out of polymer clay.

here are two shots of the faerie's wings. as you can see they are slightly two different colors on the fronts and backs (much like some butterflies and moths) they are filled with polyfil and needle sculpted. wings you can still hug Cheesy

part of her knitted "sweater" (i wanted it to look like she just found a piece of knitted fabric and fashioned a top out of it)

and her skirt of leaves!

and a close up of one of the boots. the boots are made of flannel and lined with felt. they have leather laces. you can also slightly see her needle sculpted knee in this pic.

a close up of the stitching on her wristlet. these wristlets are made of the same felt used to line her boots

thanks for looking!  as always comments, criticisms and questions are extremely welcome!

-fayeven
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 06:32:35 AM by fayeven » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanikins
you can't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010 06:57:39 PM »

I can haz plz?!?!  You did an AWESOME job on these lovely ladies!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010 08:10:33 AM »

...so many little details...
It wouldn't have occurred to me to make the eyes out of leather either, does that make them look nice and glossy in real life? It looks like the brown fairy's wristlets have a slight sheen to them...
I think the purple haired one's my favourite though 'cause I love her skirt and her puffy shiney wings! (plus, you know, purple...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amethyst6
Life is what you make it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 08:37:52 AM »

Wow, I love both of these dolls. They are beautiful. I love the dress on the cobweb elf. It's so delicate and dainty looking. Great work on both of them. Take care.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/amethyst6
I am interested in personal swaps. PM me.
fayeven

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010 08:53:32 AM »

It wouldn't have occurred to me to make the eyes out of leather either, does that make them look nice and glossy in real life? It looks like the brown fairy's wristlets have a slight sheen to them...

yes, they stand out much more with the faux leather than the felt i would normally use....  i found it really hard to find a good looking color for eyes for her because her skin is so dark... and i though it looked weird when i tried using lighter colors or a lighter color with dark..... oh and, she's actually a dark cranberry in color, but the photos didn't really show that well :/  she is decidedly difficult to photograph... elusive little elf  Cheesy

I think the purple haired one's my favourite though 'cause I love her skirt and her puffy shiney wings! (plus, you know, purple...)

thanks!  yes, purple is the best  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fayeven

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010 08:54:35 AM »

thank you ll so much for your lovely comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Rocked the Frock: Edie Falco, Tess Daly, or Shalom Harlow?
Top Five Fall Denim Trends
How to Make a Personalized Apron With Elmo
How to Care For Leather Shoes
Akademiks Clothing Promo
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...