A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,315
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grandma's Buttons Memorial Shadowbox  (Read 23877 times)
Tags for this thread: button , wreath , shadowbox , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

southernstitcher

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010 04:56:48 PM »

Oh this is so wonderfully done - I too was crying.  I never knew my grandmothers, but my Mom died 2 years ago.  I took some of her broken crystal jewelry and swapped The Sapphire Moon here on Craftster some fabric, and she re-did it all into two complete sets for my sister and me.  My sister was so happy!
When my daughter was in middle school they had to do a project on someone close to them who'd died, and she set a shoebox on end, inside the top as the base, and did a memorial to my Dad.  I still have it proudly displayed. 
Then last week in Joann's I struck up a conversation with a lady who was picking quilting cottons.  She had a completed pillow with her and said she did part of the pillow from some of her deceased Mother's clothing.  She was making a quilt using some of it too.  She chose the cheerier fabrics from her Mom's wardrobe, and quilting cottons that matched her Mom's personality.  And she was only using some of her Mom's clothes, otherwise it would be too sad.
It's just so nice to see people doing this - these shadow boxes will become family heirlooms!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010 08:01:10 PM »

Beautiful project and sentiment. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
littlebear
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010 08:54:19 PM »

Such a perfect, perfect way of sharing and treasuring those memories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexieboo
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010 07:18:26 AM »

What a beautiful wonderful thing to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r.forslund
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010 12:12:03 PM »

gorgeous. i love buttons. and im literally crying. absolutely beautiful.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pug2010
I love crafting .camping, making thjngs from recycling, baking

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010 04:19:26 PM »

My Mom  just passedaway she to had had alot of bottons from both my grandma plus hers  think i will make button memorial shodow boxs for my 3 sister,myself, and my aunt .You did a wonderful job on them ,Thank you for shraring sorry to  here about the passing of your Grandma  ,Pug2010  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelby Lynn
sapphireluna
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010 06:48:53 AM »

i don't have anything original to add...everybody has pretty much been affected with the tears & the sentiment but i just had to add my tears to the puddle.
love, love, love this idea. i have tons of buttons from my nana, among other sewing things & i am a sentimental fool so this is right up my alley!
thank you so much for sharing this with us
luna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`*`*`my soul is fed by needle & thread`*`*`
     `*`*`follow the yellow quilt road`*`*`
Clarachk
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2010 09:49:58 AM »

This is so beautiful. I really am touched by the story and by the fact that you found such sentiment in those buttons. I am always amazed by the way our hearts hold onto the smallest of memories. You have given me some amazing food for thought... my own mother's 50th birthday is approaching and I know she'd love to know that those little things she did for us are the ones that I hold dear in my heart. Thanks for sharing this with us... and even for the tears you brought to my eyes!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010 02:35:06 AM »

What a beautiful idea and it turned out so lovely.  Your Gram sounded like a great lady.  I am sure she would be very proud of what you used these buttons for.  I would love to have something so pretty and meaningful hanging on my wall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010 01:54:15 PM »

And now we are all boo-hooing about our grans! haha, great piece. It is truly lovely and a wonderful keepsake for you and your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Worst Dressed at Golden Globes...Ever?
Different Celebrities With the Same Dress
Grammys Red-Carpet Style
Jessica Chastain Vs Anne Hathaway Style
Oscars Red Carpet Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...