A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Rag Rug Craftalong--Make any rug you like!  (Read 22683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2010 06:31:44 PM »

Wow..you guys are too kind...I was just using up the yarn and playin' with a pattern....which calls for a "J " hook...don't ask me what I used, but I usually go w/a smaller hook than called for cause I'm a loose stitcher Grin

In other news...here is an example(for Pixieval, mostly Wink) of the semi-cicular kitchen rug.  I thought it was fun to do...=]

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2010 03:56:30 PM »

I like that rug, kittymom.  Smiley

I just finished one of the blankets I need to weave for Christmas, and I'm determined to get the others done before Thanksgiving if possible. This means my rag rugs have been getting neglected for a while, but I've made a teeny bit of progress on the 28" knitting board one. There is a multicolored strip up near the top that I really like. That's from a tie dyed shirt. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2010 04:22:10 PM »

Those look awesome guys!

I think I am making a latch-hook rug for my daughter for Christmas. Well, I know I'm making it for her for Christmas, I just haven't decided if its a rug or now. It is one of the latch hook kits you pick up that have the deisgn, canvas and precut yarn all in it already. It is Mickey Mouse in a Santa hat. I figure if it'll work as a rug, I'll put in front of her chair for the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010 05:28:50 PM »

oooohhhhWeeeee!(backwoods, here ya'all)=]
LaughingLark...I likes your knitting loom!! and using it for t-shirt yarn...I think that is going to be a really great rug!!  Do keep posting pics!  Where did you find the loom?  Make it yourself???

Pixieval...I like the idea for your daughter, although I can't step on those pretty things...I got one of a santa and had to put some loops on the back and it goes over the back of my rocking chair each year!!  Cheesy

I'm only thinking/plotting my next rug project at this point...=\
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2010 08:21:06 PM »

Kittymom, it's one of these:
http://www.knittingboard.com/
Check Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's for them, and the time to buy one is when you can get a 50% off coupon code.  Grin

I love these looms. I also have the 10" one and the tadpole loom. Probably if you find a smaller loom, you could knit strips and sew them together to make a rug. I'm thinking about that, so my next rug project can be worked on in a car. Can't do that with the huge 28" loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2010 08:31:31 AM »

I've worked some more on the rag rugs for my mom.  I took a bedsheet and tore it up and got a MASSIVE ball of yarn out of it.  I'll post pics tonight, I think.  Also found some more colored fabric to use for a second rug.

I'm thinking of making up a tutorial soon and posting it on my blog.  Gotta see how schoolwork goes this week and next (almost finals, whoo).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2010 12:28:21 PM »

I got a chance to take a pic and post it sooner than I thought Smiley  This is the second rug I've started, along with the coordinating fabric, which hasn't been converted to yarn yet.  I put the coke can next to the ball of white yarn for size reference.  It's been downsized a LOT already.  Weighs at least 5 pounds.

I'm having a lot of fun with these rugs, though I wish I could find some darker cotton fabric.  T-shirts would take forever and I don't have enough anyway, and I couldn't get denim strips to tear properly.  Sigh. 

How's progress for everyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2010 12:53:00 PM »

I found my toothbrush rug that I was working on, I may start it again...I am not wild about the colors but I had to waste anything and I refuse to rip it out, lol.

I'm also still working on piecing a denim quilted rug for my living room.  It's really heavy already and I don't have a sewing table big enough to support it, so I have to move everything into the dining room when I want to work on it...and so far that has been just too much work to bother with...Cheesy

So essentially I have not made any progress since this CAL started.  Nice.  Oh well, I love watching what you guys are making!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Kittymom13

Meow...

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2010 01:50:06 PM »

I'm looking at a basket of sheets that need to be cut up, one done, 3 to go! 
I was looking through craft books from the seventies and came across an interesting rag rug made from sheets that is beyone the simple circle.  I'll give it a go with these sheets after the holidays are over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2011 05:11:41 AM »

Hi everyone! I hope you had a great Christmas. My biggest gift was a spinning wheel, but hubby also surprised me with this book on rag rugs that I had been wanting:
http://www.amazon.com/Crocheted-Fabric-Tapestry-Rugmakers-Handbook/dp/1931426295/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294401489&sr=8-1

I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, but like her other books, it's packed with information. She recommends that strips for crochet be folded over to hide raw edges. This sounds like a pain to do, but it would probably make the crocheting itself less hard on the hands, besides making a nicer rug. I'm going to try ironing them using the method in  djinn_3wishes's great tutorial, but unlike bias tape making, you do not want to cut your strips on the bias, or your rug will stretch out over time. In my new rug book, she talks about rugs that were made with bias-cut strips, and how once they stretched out of shape, they never could be fixed and ended up in the attic or out in the barn. I will see if Ian wants to help me rip up some sheets (I bet he will!), and then I will iron them while watching something on Netflix. I think I will use 1 1/2" strips.
Skip to the ironing board part of this tutorial. Our rug strips are cut or torn on the grain instead:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=368861.0

I finished my T shirt rug! I had to stop before it got too heavy to be machine washable. As soon as I can get batteries, I'll put up a pic.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma Watson Makeup Tutorial
False Eyelashes in Less Than 5 Minutes
Twist-N-Roll Tweezer Review
Watch Us Try Oil Pulling
How to Minimize the Look of Pores
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...