A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Rag Rug Craftalong--Make any rug you like!  (Read 24010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010 07:12:47 AM »

I found this video this morning. It's about making a bath mat out of old towels. She uses rug canvas grid as her base, and just knots it together. It looks like this project will shed a lot while being made, but it would make a super-cushy and absorbent rag rug!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVhBfiy4XrM

Ian is not feeling well today, and will be in and out of my lap a lot, so I'll see what other tutorials I can find while he sits with me.

Edited to add this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRm7P48IZw&feature=related
It's two bath towels woven together to make a bathmat. I see no reason why this could not be made from old jeans as well. I might try that for a sturdy front door mat that I can pick up and wash when it gets yucky from mud.

Edited again! Smiley
This rug is amazing. What is a texing needle? Whatever it is, I think I want one!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31298186@N02/3228273732/in/photostream/

And again!
This is a sewn rag rug with denim. I'm thinking that my hubby's worn out khaki work trousers would be good to use for this, mixed with my lightweight jeans that always get holes because they are thin fabric. The old trousers all have ink stains at the pockets, or holes where his wallet wore through the back pocket. The man hates to get rid of them, though. Maybe I can gently suggest I make a pretty rug with them. He can't wear them on the job, and they are taking over the closet. Smiley
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/denim-rug.shtml
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010 08:08:32 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010 09:59:27 AM »

I think that texing may be the same thing as shirret? http://www.shirret.com/

And I love the video of weaving two old towels together, I want to make three or four rugs for the men in my family to lay on as they work on all of the vehicles, I plan on making mine of old denims though.

As for what I am working on, mainly laying out several of my next projects. I can't work very well right now since I broke my finger. Don't shut you Jeep door when you are very, very distracted. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010 10:20:31 AM »

Ow.Owowowow! Poor finger. I once nearly broke my ankle when I was in a hurry to get into the car. I hadn't entirely gotten into the vehicle. That was years ago, but I have almost done it again a couple of other times. I have large feet, and they don't move as fast as the rest of me. Cheesy I hope your finger heals quickly!

I got the rug washed and dried, and it shrunk like crazy. It is 13" wide and 23 1/2" long. The weaving did move closer together, but it also got a bit ripply from the problem I was having with the yarns being different sizes. Oh well, it was a good learning experience, and I can still use it as a rug, just a smallish rug.

It does not look like my ebay loom will be a good choice for making other rugs. I will try one more time after I make or buy rubber washers for the loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010 02:09:47 PM »

I have been watching this CAL since it started, and now I am so glad I did!  I'm in the 50 projects 2010 CAL and a rag has been on my list since January, so...I guess I'm throwing my hat in the ring with you guys!  I'm thinking of trying that denim shaggy rug.  It looks so fun and I've been collected denim for a year or so now so I have plenty of raw material.

Also, the toothbrush rugs are SOO fun and I love making them, but I haven't successfully finished one because I keep getting those huge ripples in them and I can't stand the way it looks so I rip them out.  Does anyone have a formula for the increases that will avoid that rippling?  I've tried four times so far, and I get pretty far but then that happens, it's so frustrating!

So far I've tried the toothbrush rugs, crocheting a rug out of strips that I cut (which was fun too but hurt my arm really bad, lol), and weaving on a huge cardboard loom I made.  That didn't work out so well either because the weaving pulls so far into the middle and I can't stand that either.

Yes, the general theme of my life is that I am a perfectionist with ADD...lol!!!  Anyway, I'm so glad you guys got this going and that there are so many cool links.  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
LaughingLark
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010 02:40:37 PM »

Welcome, BethieB! Can't wait to see your denim project! I want to make a rug like that, too. Smiley

I tend to have a whole bunch of projects going, so when I get frustrated with one, I go work on another for a while. I have everything I need now for the toothbrush rug, but I'm concerned about the ripple thing. I think I want to try a rectangular toothbrush rug at first, if I can figure out how to go about it.

I just found another interesting type of rug. The broomstick rug. I haven't been able to find and online tutorial, though.
http://www.sandpoint.net/~rafter4/broom.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010 06:14:43 AM »

I woke up this morning with a crazy idea in my head. I was reading Diana Blake Gray's book on rag rugs, "Fabulous Rag Rugs From Simple Frames". I feel asleep shortly after reading about a technique for warping a frame for twining that is called the "cheaters warp". She cuts a big piece of fabric into strips, leaving the ends of the fabric uncut, then she uses a staple gun to affix it to her frame. I think that is great for making a twined rug (more on that later today).

I was thinking, though, that not everyone has a wooden frame, or a staple gun, or wants to staple their frame. Then I thought about sewing the ends into a casing, like one does when making curtains. Then you could slide a dowel into the casing at each end, tie the dowels into your frame, and start twining your rug. Then I fell asleep.

When I woke up, I was dreaming about twining a rug like this, but instead of tying the dowels to the inside of a big frame for tension, I had made it into a back-strap loom contraption. One piece of rope around a tree, and the other piece of rope at the other dowel was at my waist. I wonder if this would work. I had to type it out before I forget it. I forget my early morning ideas all the time. Cheesy I don't have time to try it today, but as soon as I pick up two sturdy dowels and find suitable fabric for the warp in my stash, I am so trying this. If it works, it would be a portable way to make twined rugs that you don't need to buy any lumber, don't need nails, etc. You would need a stable surface to attach your loom, and that's it.

One downside to this is that when you are done, the edge, where the dowels were, would probably have to be sewn down under the rug, so it would not be reversible. 

Wish I had time to figure this out today. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010 11:28:45 AM »

I haven't had time to try making a back strap loom for a twined rug project yet, but I read on in Diana Blake Gray's book, and she did mention that you could twine a rug in that way. The book is extremely packed with information, but not many pictures, unfortunately. I am learning tons about rugs from it, though. If you can find any titles by her at your library or through inter-library loan, you should check them out and see what you think. I will probably end up buying all of her books eventually, since they are like reference books with so much info, and I can see myself going back to them a lot. Some of the methods she documents are almost forgotten, and can't be found anywhere else.

I was looking at this rug on Flickr, and noticed that the maker had posted how she did it. She used 2 or 3 weaving sticks, and rolled them up into this amazing arty rug. Weaving a rug this way would be a wonderful TV project. If you wanted to join your strips of weaving later, you could take a couple of sticks with you to work for on your break, or leave a set in the car for weaving while waiting. I'm thinking of doing this with Owen on our next road trip. We can make the strips of weaving en route, and I can lace them  together later. Stick looms can be made from 2-3 soda straws, if you don't want to buy one somewhere.

When I lace them together, I will use carpet warp, because it is strong, and what I can afford.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31298186@N02/3227789331/in/photostream/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010 10:32:33 PM »

so.. I finally got my ass in gear!
Remember this? I started it ages ago in a Q hook, and decided to tear it out this past week, redo it in a N hook.

I ran out of yarn about half way through, so have been making t-shirt yarn like mad at the same time.

Currently I am trying to go all the way around in black about 6 inches worth on each side. I hit up a thrift store bag sale today.. and got a bag of black t-shirts for three dollars to cut up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010 10:33:50 PM »

Oh! currently its about 6 feet by 3 feet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010 03:49:27 AM »

Oh! currently its about 6 feet by 3 feet

Yay! The perfect size for a sleeping mat to go camping in the woods with!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Shows Off Goat Cheese Fondue
Chocolate Chipotle Pork Tenderloin
How to Make Hot Chicken Wings
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
Quick and Easy Summer Grilling Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...