A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two altered puzles, and some important tips!  (Read 2118 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_puzzle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2010 08:11:25 PM »

So my personal theme for 2010 has become the rainbow, as to me it represents hope and promise and the fact that even after the rain there will still be beautiful things.  After the mess that was 2009 the rainbow has taken on a whole new meaning for me!  In honor of my love of it, I did an altered puzzle.

So I have to be honest.  This is actually the second altered puzzle I've finished.  I'll show you the first one in a second, but first of all, I just want to pass on the tips I discovered while doing these projects.

One, wooden puzzles are so much easier to do, and they are worth the extra bit of money and searching it takes to find them.  The first puzzle I did was a cardboard one and it came out...well...you will see.  In comparison, the wooden one is so much better, both while you are making it and when you are done and it's time to put it all together!

Two, when you do find the perfect *wooden* puzzle, the first thing you should do, if you plan on putting it all back together to display it like I am doing, is mark the back of each piece in some way so that you remember where they go.  Then you can write on the frame too so you really will remember.  Like this:

Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

And now for pictures of the hard way:

It's a tiny bit hard to tell, but the pieces do not all fit together perfectly.  Part of the reason is that the cardboard soaks up the paints and inks and glues and swells out of it's normal shape so they won't all fit back together.  The other reason is that I forgot which piece went where, so when it came time to make it fit all together, I did my best, but ended up cutting and sanding some pieces to force them to fit where they might have gone originally, lol.

And, there really is some color on this puzzle, it just isn't showing up well on these junky pictures I took, sorry!

This one really shows how the pieces do not go together perfectly.

In all honestly, I love the 'hard way' one a lot better than the rainbow one, but my dd has fallen in love with the rainbow so it's going to here when I am ready to move it out of the living room.  It also is a lot less bumpy looking in real life, the camera flash picked up a lot of imperfections but oh well, it still makes me happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010 09:14:13 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Bethie! I do plan on making one SOMEDAY!
They both look great, but I love the rainbow one because of the flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 12:04:44 PM »

ha ha I received my altered puzzle from sheepblue in the original puzzle box--it had 25 pieces and of course, no picture that I could use to get it back together...it took a few minutes to get it together for a pic, which I then asked her if it was correct! ha ha

I love altered puzzles and found that if you use a nail file to make each piece a little "loose" it will make up for the swelling...I also sand off the original picture a bit (on some, I like the background to show!)...

You did a nice job and I do like both puzzles...I just find it hilarious that your solution was to cut them pieces until they fit!  That is so precious to me! You rock, bethieb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010 12:20:06 PM »

Thanks Always!!  I'm glad I make you laugh so often, lol.  I did try sanding with a nail filer first, but it was taking FOREVER and not working...the scissors were the next step!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010 02:28:42 PM »

Wow I love the both of them! I've always wanted to have a go at making an altered puzzle so thank you for the tips! Will bear them in mind when I have a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010 06:06:31 PM »

I'm with you, Bethie, I like the blue and purple puzzle best. But they're both a lot of fun, and I can see why the rainbow one was your daughter's favourite.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 12:29:34 AM »

Thank you guys for taking the time to comment!! 

beki710 - it was a really fun project to do the puzzles and I am actually thinking about doing another one.  Let me know if you have any specific questions, and make sure you post pics when you do yours!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Flex-Shaft Jewelry Tools
Using Textured Metal to Make Jewelry
Top Jewelry Making Techniques
Jewelry Soldering Basics
Making Metal Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...