A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Planes and embroidery??  (Read 1596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Seefin
« on: August 02, 2010 05:46:20 PM »

Well, Long story short, I'm going on holiday this weekend.

I want something to do on the plane, I was thinking embroidery (Like on onesies for my niece/nephew for October) but do they allow needles like that on planes, (Even if its blunt? Tongue) I heard somewhere that crochet hooks weren't allowed on either??

BTW I'm flying from Northern Ireland to Spain
(And I will have time to go shopping, I'm going to a craft shop on Thursday so I'll try to see if I can get a blunter needle)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Not suitable for fabrics*
Meh, Just use it anyway.
Frau Shizzle

be crafty and a little bit nasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010 04:59:59 AM »

Officially none of it should be a problem, have a look here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

But I guess, it sometimes depends on the mood of the security staff. I already heard of confiscated knitting needles... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seefin
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 11:47:16 AM »

Oh thanks, like, so much  Grin Grin Grin
I never thought about scissors, atleast I know I can bring them on Smiley
Direct gov is the only website I didn't check :L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meh, Just use it anyway.
wvudarling
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 10:14:04 AM »

I fly with my embroidery within the US pretty frequently and have never had a problem, I think as long as you watch the scissors you have.  (I didn't read the link, but if I recall there are restrictions on the type or size of those.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seefin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 12:03:55 PM »

I fly with my embroidery within the US pretty frequently and have never had a problem, I think as long as you watch the scissors you have.  (I didn't read the link, but if I recall there are restrictions on the type or size of those.)
Yeah, It's somthing like scissors are no larger than 6cm and preferably have rounded tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meh, Just use it anyway.
queenallie03
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010 04:13:51 PM »

As a knitter and needlecrafter AND an employee of a major airlines I can answer this perfectly for any Americans who have the same question!

There are no problems with needles. Scissors are the one thing you have to watch out for. If they are metal they can be no longer than 4 inches, and can be pointed. If longer than 4 inches they may NOT be carried on.

As a side note there are NO restrictions on knitting or crochet needles. Any hassle should have a supervisor requested for a review of their rules on the issue to get past any problems that might occur with individual agents.

I actually had someone try to take my old scissors I was using from a cheapo sewing kit. They were plastic, blunt and didn't even cut good! I was 12 or something and threw a fit so they let me take them on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AGFH
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010 08:10:18 PM »

I have taken needlework on several planes with no issues. But I carry childrens safety scissors to hack through the thread and then I neaten it up when I can get to a real pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010 06:56:16 PM »

To respectfully disagree, sometimes scissors (no matter how small) are a problem and sometimes not.  It depends on the level of intelligence of the security officer.  Just yesterday, I was told to return my tiny embroidery scissors to my vehicle after the courthouse X-ray scanner detected them.  Today, my bag included the following tool.   

This is what you stitching travelers (and parents of curious/behavioral deficient children) need.
It is a thread cutting tool disguised as a flower pendant.  There are tiny little sharp metal incisions between each petal. 
PLEASE, for the love of Craftster and your needle sisters don't feel the need to explain the cutting feature to the weak minded security folk.  They hear "cutter" and think "terrorist" no matter how innocuously crafty you may appear and they really hate hearing how you circumvented their thriving scissor confiscation conspiracy. 
Instead, attach the tool/pendant onto a ribbon and cut thread at high altitudes to your heart's delight. 
Available at most craft and fabric stores. 

Here's a link http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/455/_/Thread_Cutter_Pendant_%28Antique_Gold%29
You're welcome.
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010 05:00:30 AM »

Thanks for showing me this tool.
 The court house in Tn is really strict as well. The guys have to take off their belts before they can even go through the scanner. Purses aren't allowed in the room at all. There is a long list of items that must be left in the trunk of your car for the courts safety and yours. My dad was a walking BEEEEEEP on their system because his pants have studs on them. LOL They finally had no choice to let him in. My dad replied unless you want me sky clad, this is all me. LOL

Again, thanks for that tool. It will be good for other areas, just not the court house in TN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010 07:01:22 AM »

I actually made a beautiful long beaded necklace and added one of these cutting jewels to the end of it. I flew from Germany to the US with it around my neck and was never even questioned once. Smiley They make a larger version for yarn as well. Smiley

Skitzo, your words made me smile and LOL first thing this morning. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...