A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
320 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Taggies?  (Read 1357 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: August 02, 2010 02:53:34 PM »

So if you look at the taggies website they go on and on about their copyrights.  They even go so far as to ask people to "turn in"  anyone who appears to be selling copies of taggies.  My question is, how different does it have to be to not be a copy?  There are hundreds of people selling "copies" and very similar items.  Is it because they are not infringing on the copyright because their design is different enough or is it because they haven't gotten caught?  I bought something similar to a taggie at Target for my son.  It is not Taggie brand but is very similar.  So there are even companies selling similar items, not just individuals on etsy.  I've made a few similar to the one I bought at Target for gifts but I'd like to sell them too if I wouldn't be going against the Taggie's copyright.  So how do you know exactly what is copyrighted?  Or what similar item is legal to make and sell?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010 04:49:33 PM »

No clue. I've seen similar things everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 07:18:33 PM »

Thanks for replying CraftyChef.  Smiley  I guess I could just contact Taggies and ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 05:02:37 PM »

I've researched this some and from what I understand a piece of ribbon folded into a loop and sewn in between to pieces of fabric is a copy right infringement. So tags sewn on to balls, blocks, dolls, any ribbon looped over and sewn between to pieces of fabric. And yes it's stupid. And yes there are other companies that make them. Any yes Taggie corporation does police etsy and get's you into trouble with your etsy account even if you have just ONE posted on your site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canamharris
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 10:19:10 PM »

A couple years back I attempted to sell some ribbon blankets on etsy but was quickly shutdown because someone turned me into taggies. I was given a copy of their patent where they have patented the idea of a loop of ribbon sewn between two pieces of fabric!

Honestly I don't suggest messing with them. Though it is interesting because I've noticed some tutorials for similar blankets in some well known baby books recently. I'm not sure how they got past taggies. (I've even seen tutorials removed from websites)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010 07:12:21 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  The one I bought at Target is Winnie the Pooh and the ribbons are not looped so maybe that's how they managed to get away with it.  I think I probably will shy away from selling them just to avoid the hassle.  But I do like making them so I guess I'll just have to hope more of my friends have babies so I can gift them!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012 12:12:02 AM »

I know this is a really old thread but I couldnt help but reply becasue wow I had no idea I was committing copyright infringement when I added a hook to the washcloth mitt I made for my neice or used looped ribbon instead of grommets for the faux corset shirt on my halloween costume a couple years ago because both those things involved sewing a looped ribbon between 2 peices of cloth. I know copyright law is there for my protection if I ever need it but sometimes these things get rediculous. But none the less, good to know that I need to clip the loops on any blankets I plan to sell, which is fine cuz apearantly there's a current trend of overprotective parents that think their kids are gonna die by getting a finger caught in a loop of ribbon.........don't mean to offend anyone but I'm just more of the thought that you should pay attention to your kid instead of putting them in a plastic bubble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012 08:25:06 AM »

I had the same incredulity when Necklush announced they were attempting to patent strips of jersey worn as frivolous adornment... I kid you not, they're trying to patent fabric wrapped around your neck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012 12:25:17 PM »

wow, that's rediculous. i thought things like both of those could be copyrighted but not pattenedted. its like pattenting sewing in general or pattenting the idea to use a peice of fabric as a towel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear White Eyeliner
The 4 Best Products for Contouring
How to Choose the Best Makeup Primer for Your Skin
Introducing Sona Gasparian - Elevator Makeover’s New Makeup Expert
Elevator Makeovers Season 3 Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...