A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A question on copyrights/selling items  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftycakelady
« on: July 22, 2010 09:10:25 AM »

Before I post my question, please know that I am not being snarky or rude, the question is sincere.

I have seen on many blogs that people make tutes (which are wonderful, thank you) and then post 'for personal use only' or do not sell items made with this tutorial'.  Now, I completely understand not wanting anyone to copy your tute, there is a lot of time and effort involved.  My question is, how can someone make the claim on the idea?

I mean something general like a standard rectangular tote bag or a gathered skirt or a zippered pouch?  I seriously doubt they originated the idea.  These things have been around quite a long time.  Obviously, there are exceptions and some truly unique ideas out there (although I maintain that we are all inspired by something) which I can understand a bit more.  I guess the same question can be made for commercial patterns too really.

Please educate me on this.  Is there something I am missing?  How can someone lay claim to a very general idea like those I mentioned above that we see everywhere from craft shows to Wal-mart?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any insight you can offer.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010 05:59:36 PM »

You really can't copyright a basic technique or style, you can only copyright your original twist on it or interpretation of it. For instance, I do beadwork, and the basic techniques such as loom weaving, peyote stitch, applique stitch etc. can't be copyrighted, they are too common and everyone uses them. Now when someone creates a pattern for a design that uses one of those techniques, that is their intellectual property. Now if someone comes up with a new stitch technique, they can copyright it, but it probably won't stand if they try to take legal action against someone and an older published version of the technique is found. Same in sewing, you can't really copyright "A-line skirts", it's too broad a style and very common. But if someone had a unique interpretation of it, then they could copyright that, such as an a-line skirt with vertical piping and contrast color yoke. Even that might be pushing it.

So to make a long story short, yeah, I agree with you, many people who claim a copyright on a general style or technique really don't have the right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 03:13:20 PM »

If it's something you've seen before, and is nothing new, they couldn't prove you "copied" it, anyway. I've seen bags for basic totes, for example, with the "don't copy" wording. It's beyond ridiculous at times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lulusews
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010 09:07:18 PM »

I agree it's beyond ridiculous.  You would think everybody that makes an item or a pattern is Einstein. 

I just make what I want inspired by what I see and keep it moving.  It's not a cure for cancer it's crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rex Salazar
How to Draw Rayquaza
How to Draw Professor Fransworth
How to Draw Poof
The Photoshop Secret Behind Long Exposure Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...