A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adult Pinewood Derby: Egyptian War Chariot (A Treasury of Photos)  (Read 6870 times)
Tags for this thread: pinewood_derby , woodwork , polymer_clay , egyptian , horse , cleopatra , pyramid , painted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2010 01:57:14 PM »

Yesterday was the 5th Annual Portland Adult Pinewood Derby. I've been attending since year 3 and these are my entries for 2009 (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315638.0) and 2008 (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=260397.0).  This event is more than just a race; it's costumes, dioramas, extended parameters for car weight/size/style, smack talk and... well, there's plenty of beer.

This is my 2010 entry

Side-view:

We are required to use the official Boy Scout car, axles and wheels, but we can alter them any way we want. I used a scroll saw and Dremel tool to cut away a lot of the pine.

Other side-view:

I used polymer clay to build most of the sides of the chariot.

Rear-view:

The whole thing is painted with various acrylic metallic paints and artist acrylics.

Detail:

After a few failed attempts, I made the wheels from decoupaged foam core, wooden kabob skewers, and polymer clay - all painted.

De tail (with handmade brass balls - I mentioned the smack talk, right?)

A plastic, dollar store horse, painted up.  Horse scrotum?  Mor painted polymer clay.

How I kept Cleopatra removable and stable enough to stay in her chariot while on the track.

More skewers.

The diorama.

Front:

Details of the entry arch:

Close-up of the texture of the pyramid:

Top/side view:

A peek into to glowing golden interior of the pyramid where the chariot is housed when not racing:

There's a battery-powered, LED puck light attached to the top of the inside of the pyramid that makes the gold glow.

How Cleopatra stands outside the pyramid:

I made costumes for my partners and I, but plan to keep working on them (at least mine) for Halloween and will post them then.  My team won Silver Medals for Coolest Car and Grand Champion, we tied with The ManFlesh's car (also an Ancient Egypt theme) for Slowest Car and I got Ladies' Choice.  Woo!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beefranck

You know what? You know what? Yeah.

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010 02:45:36 PM »

Damn, woman. Smiley Once again I must state that I firmly believe there is nothing you can't do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adding some awesome to www.mrxstitch.com since February 8th, 2009
Buy my patterns here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrXStitch
Come join us at the Phat Quarter! http://www.flickr.com/groups/phatquarter/
My podcast! - www.emergency-pants.net
Knotmad
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010 03:08:41 PM »

This is terrific! My dad was a boyscout, and so was my twin brother, so they let me build derby cars when we were little..... My third year I raced and got third place, but they knocked me out of the final round because I'm a girl.....I'm not bitter, just emotionally scarred Wink. It salves the wounds to know there is pinewood derby box car racing after the BSA -- and so much more bad ass. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010 04:07:27 PM »

Damn, woman. Smiley Once again I must state that I firmly believe there is nothing you can't do.

Spoken by a woman who hasn't had to eat my cookin'.  But THANKS!  Smiley

This is terrific! My dad was a boyscout, and so was my twin brother, so they let me build derby cars when we were little..... My third year I raced and got third place, but they knocked me out of the final round because I'm a girl.....I'm not bitter, just emotionally scarred Wink. It salves the wounds to know there is pinewood derby box car racing after the BSA -- and so much more bad ass. Thank you!

Thanks!  I have some issues with the policies of the Boy Scouts of America, but I don't let those get in the way of my full enjoyment of this event.  You nailed it when you said it's more bad ass.  Every year people bring cars from Derbies past and this year 2 guys brought their cub scout cars.  After the official races they races and my man (The ManFlesh) won!  It was the first time that car won.  Ahem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010 05:50:15 PM »

I always enjoy reading your posts, and I loved the pics on FB, but these are so much better! I'm so glad you were able to finish, and that you DIDN'T have a meltdown! Rocking this BTW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010 06:05:36 PM »

I always enjoy reading your posts, and I loved the pics on FB, but these are so much better! I'm so glad you were able to finish, and that you DIDN'T have a meltdown! Rocking this BTW!

Aw, shucks.  Thanks!  I know that you know some of what it takes to make one of these.  It did seem that craftster was a better place to put SO MANY photos of the project, you know?  I was putting the horse on, moving the big wheels and figuring out how to attach Cleo the morning of the race (that started at 1p)!  Yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 06:37:02 PM »

I love your entry!  I love anything egyptian themed!  So which portland is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010 06:49:10 PM »

I love your entry!  I love anything egyptian themed!  So which portland is it?

Thank you!  It's the Left Coast Portland... Oregon, USA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aniraangel
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010 09:23:38 AM »

This looks wonderful! And so fun... I kind of want to make myself a car/chariot/whatever but I'm in Australia... and would have to bribe my non crafty friends into being crafty with me to make it more fun. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010 10:06:06 AM »

This looks wonderful! And so fun... I kind of want to make myself a car/chariot/whatever but I'm in Australia... and would have to bribe my non crafty friends into being crafty with me to make it more fun. XD

Thanks!  It IS fun.  One of the neat things about this is that some non-crafty types get very involved.  Usually menfolk... because it's cars and competition.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roasting and Preparing Beets
How to Make a Vinaigrette Dressing
Pan Searing Scallops
Pan Seared Scallops - Assembling the Finished Dish
Escargot Appetizer Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...