A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does homemade jelly save you money? Who cares! Itís delicious.  (Read 3979 times)
Tags for this thread: jelly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Compwalla
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010 06:50:22 PM »

This looks fantastic! I am now inspired to make jam. Can you tell me how much sugar you used? The recipe calls for 7 and a half cups, which seems like a heck of a lot.

I used just over six which resulted in a soft set jelly. It's gelled but very spreadable which is what I like. There is low-sugar pectin which you can buy. The recipes for low-sugar pectin have far less sugar and will still gel up. I only had the regular pectin so I used the regular recipe knowing that using a little bit less sugar would result in softer jelly which is what we prefer. The danger with reducing the sugar in the recipe is that your jelly will not set at all and you end up with syrup. If you really want to reduce the amount of sugar, get the low-sugar pectin and follow the recipe inside that box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cehealey
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010 10:21:04 PM »

My husband and I were able to pick about 40 cups of Blackberries from our yard this year- so far I have made 5 jars of seedless jam (thanks to a great friend for her teaching me how)- and I have lots more to make... plus plenty of berries for pancakes and muffins... I was also given 2 huge bags of wild Maine Blueberries- so I plan on making some of those into jam as well... what fun and so easy! I am so excited to learn new cooking skills- and to have home made goods to share is a great joy! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queensqueeze
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010 05:35:15 AM »

Save your jars for next time and the cost for that batch will drop about 50%, yay!
The jelly we Aussies eat with icecream is a gelatine set dessert- your jello. (tricky huh?!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Sexy Wavy Beach Curls
How to Style Elegant Hair
How to Style Frizzy, Curly Hair
How to Style Super Short Hair
How to Use Plastic Hair Rollers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...