A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does homemade jelly save you money? Who cares! Itís delicious.  (Read 4185 times)
Tags for this thread: jelly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Compwalla
« on: August 01, 2010 11:23:51 AM »

My mom has been making jellies and jams for as long as I can remember. Her low-sugar strawberry jam is to die for and when there is ďGammy JellyĒ in the house, my kids refuse to eat anything else on their sandwiches. I asked her to teach me how to make jelly and since she was in town last month, thatís what we did. We gathered some wild plums from a friendís yard and made the most spectacular wild plum jelly. Itís heavenly.

Next on my list was pomegranate. Itís one of my favorite flavors but the kind without corn syrup is expensive. I knew I could make it from just pomegranate juice like Pom or some other brand but during a trip to Drug Emporium (Abileneís dusty, decrepit, illy-stocked answer to Whole Foods) I found this:

The label said to dilute one cup of concentrate to 5 cups of water. Even though this bottle cost $12.59, diluted properly it would be far cheaper than a jug of Pom. My estimates say this will make 25 or so cups of pomegranate juice, enough for ~48 jars of jelly.

I used the Certo recipe so cost for my jelly will be:

* $7.69 for jars and lids
    * $3.50 for the Certo (it takes two envelopes of gel)
    * $3.00 for the sugar
    * $2.03 for the pomegranate juice

Total cost : $16.22 / 8 jars = $2.02 per jar

Amazon has pure, no corn syrup pomegranate jelly for $5.59 a jar.

As it turns out, homemade jelly can save you money. But even if the cost was the same, Iíd still make my own jelly now and then. Weíve got 6 jars of wild plum left and the 8 jars of pomegranate I made last night. Our PB&J sandwiches will be out of this world for many weeks to come.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

landofoz
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010 11:37:27 AM »

I happen to be too lazy to make jelly - using juice is a great cheat!! 

And I have to ask, Abilene KS?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Compwalla
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010 11:46:33 AM »

Nope! The other Abilene - Texas. But both are pretty podunk and lack a Whole Foods, I'm pretty sure.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Merripan

I quilt, therefore I am...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010 11:49:54 AM »

This is such a great option! I totally applaud you for doing it. Good for you, good for the kids, and super good for your wallet.  :-D  I gave it a "This Rocks" because especially with the economy being sooo difficult to deal with for most of us, it's nice to see how a few hours and a recipe can really make the difference between having and not having healthy good choices.

Hooray!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and visit my Etsy shop for your custom kitchen needs! http://www.etsy.com/shop/merripan
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010 11:55:49 AM »

I'm a true believer in making jellies and jams. I made a cranberry jalapeno jelly last year that was super yummy. My husband turned some of it into an incredible BBQ sauce. Smiley

I've only ever used SureJel. Do you prefer Certo over that or is just an availability thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Compwalla
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010 12:09:17 PM »

I've only ever used SureJel. Do you prefer Certo over that or is just an availability thing?

I prefer the gel kind because you don't need to dissolve it and you don't get ever those little gummy seeds of clumped up pectin.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010 12:10:06 PM by Compwalla » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 12:20:15 PM »

Looks delicious! How is pomegranate all by itself in jelly?  I like pomegranate, but I've run across a few things that are supposed to be pomegranate that don't taste as good.

I'm now reconsidering that container of cherry juice concentrate. It would go a lot further as jelly than if the kids just gulp it down.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010 01:55:22 PM »

Pomegranate jelly is tasty! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wx2dzug
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010 01:57:16 PM »

Looks great, I've never tried pomegranate jelly before, but I think I'll have to add that to my list. I recently made some mulberry jam, that one was definitely cheaper...the mulberries were free!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Compwalla
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010 03:57:31 PM »

How is pomegranate all by itself in jelly?  I like pomegranate, but I've run across a few things that are supposed to be pomegranate that don't taste as good.

It is terrific as jelly! I don't use as much sugar as the recipe calls for and I didn't dilute the pomegranate concentrate all the way because A) I like jelly with a softer set and B) I don't like it too sweet.  This jelly is sweet enough to taste great and it still has that tart tanginess that pomegranate is known for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Kathryn Bigelow
Film History Biography of Ray Harryhausen
Film History Biography of Ron Mann
Film History Biography of Sam Raimi
Pre-Production Paperwork Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...