A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wardrobe makeover / overhaul  (Read 4071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: July 31, 2010 08:45:50 PM »

Ok, I've finished with Uni again for the time being and am working full time. I have way too many clothes for the space I have and you know how it goes ......... there are a lot that don't get worn for one reason or another.

I've decided my mission is to go through my entire wardrobe and make sure everything in it is wearable - I'm so sick of not having enough space and 'forgetting' that I have things (last week I lost a dress! - ok, it turned out it was in the clean laundry pile but still, it's ridiculous if there's so much that you can't find a dress, it's not as if it's something tiny like a thong). Now I need to work out why I don't wear that dress I bought 4 years ago that still has the price tag in it, the skirt that I wore once and have passed over ever since etc.

One of my missions is to get more work wear out of this endeavour - I'm there 5 days a week, so it makes sense that most of my clothes should be suitable for work. I don't work in the corporate world anymore, so my work clothes don't need to be ultra professional these days, I'm teaching now, so although the dress code is quite casual, I don't want to wear anything too revealing.

The way I figure it, there will be things that need fixing (missing buttons, too long etc.), things that need more alteration (too much cleavage etc.) and a few major overhauls ........ of course there will also be the things that I can't be bothered with and can go into my craft bin until I need them.

Some things I'd like a second (or third, or fourth) opinion on, others I want to know if what I've got in mind will improve it or not, someone else might have an idea for me to improve something, you get the drift. Anyway, it seemed to me that I might feel more satisfaction if I documented it to see the progress made and share the experience with some others doing the same thing.

Anyone else want to join in?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010 11:29:42 PM »

I've started to document my progress at my new blog -> http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010 07:20:24 AM »

I need to do this so badly - I generally only wear a few items of clothing over and over, and most things in my closet don't get used at all.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010 12:15:38 PM »

I'm in. I have a closet full of nothing to wear. I have skirts in my closet that I've never worn. I have a ton of heavy sweaters. I don't wear heavy sweaters. My Mom passed away last year (on Christmas. How sucky is that?) and my Dad gave me everything out of her closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Kids Craft
Altered Puzzle Piece
Mini 13 DoH
July ATC 5/3/0

Would love to personal swap for Blythe granny square hat(s)
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010 11:31:15 PM »

Great! Two more on board.

Ludi, I'm the same as you (I think a lot of people are in that boat). With my new resolution going strong, I wore an outfit today that I have never worn - skirt I bought years ago (never worn), shirt I bought years ago (worn a couple of times), boots from years ago (maybe worn once - they're brown and I usually wear black), even a pair of nylons that were still in the packet and have been hanging around for years! I actually got a lot of compliments, not to mention people were so surprised to see me in something other than black.

LolaandBean - Sorry about your Mum -very sucky indeed. I have some heavy knitted sweaters too and I realise that for me the problems with these are:
- I do not wear them because: if I have to take it off because it's too hot, now I have to deal with a big bulky item and they can't go in the washing machine - hand washing is not something I'm a fan of and it means they'll sit and sit and sit.
- they take up a lot of room in my drawers

Are either of you going to use your blog to chronicle this? Or just this thread?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 11:42:21 PM by tigergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010 05:53:17 AM »

I don't have a blog so I'll just post in this thread and link to other boards where I post my projects.

One of my planned projects is for those bulky sweaters we don't wear - I've seen some very cute sweater-to-cardigan recons.  I do wear cardigans!  So I will be turning some or all of my unused sweaters into cardigans or jackets.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010 01:33:36 PM »

look forward to seeing some Ludi.

I'll be putting it all in my blog, no recons there yet (unless you count the red dress ;-) ) - still sorting - I've designated some things to be tossed and unearthed some things to be used though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_naked_doll
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010 05:48:32 AM »

I'm in, too. I just got a new job and it's been hell trying to figure out what to wear. My dress code is really casual, and while I can wear Tees and Jeans, I can't wear tees with sayings on them and it's just weird. All my tees have print!! So I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm told my Native American name would be Giggles-With-Fervor.

http://megsraggededge.etsy.com

BLOG ! http://megsraggededge.blogspot.com
shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010 07:18:40 AM »

Oh, I am totally in!

I'll be a slow mover, I've got tons of other projects going on, plus 5 classes and a job (and a hungry boyfriend to feed lol) but I'm so in!

I've actually been attempting this for the last couple weeks. Fixed quite a few bras that were hanging around my closet because I didn't feel like fixing them, and brought 3 tall trashbags of clothes to the goodwill because they were either still wearable and I didn't want to tear them apart or its just stuff I don't have a use for, like a big tradition raincoat my dad found for me (I look awful in beige), a couple of blazers that were too big for me as I'm losing weight, and some punky stuff from "The Old Days" of my style that just don't need to make their way into my new style, lol.

But I have quite a bit of clothes to go through...just worried about storage for fabrics I want to recon, my bins and apartment space are so full, I guess I'll have to pick and choose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cricket416
Cats really don't like to ride bicycles, no matter how much duck tape you use.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010 09:32:37 PM »

I'm in!

I have an entire trunk full of clothes that I don't wear anymore that I've been hanging on to with the intent of refashioning them... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pipe a Cake
How to Make a Toblerone Cheesecake
Pumpkin Muffins Topped With Cinnamon Sugar
Gluten-Free Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
How to Make Grand Marnier Salted Caramel Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...