A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with all these watermelons?  (Read 2049 times)
Tags for this thread: watermelon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: July 31, 2010 02:48:34 PM »

I have three watermelons right now on my kitchen table and every week I get another in my CSA box. They're starting to take over! But the thing is, I don't really like watermelon. Yes, I know I'm weird. But I just can't stand the texture and the favor is only just okay. Other than bringing them to every party and giving the stuff away (which I have been), how can I use it up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JulieOZ
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010 03:31:24 PM »

~put in blender or juicer. Freeze juice in ziploc freezer bags. Use as a base for smoothies. Add other fruit that you like to make it tasty for you.
~Put them on a table for sale on your sidewalk, driveway etc.
~Trade them with a neighob that has a garden for produce that you do want.
~ take to work as a treat for coworkers
~ bribe neighboorhood kids to do your weeding in payment for watermellon
~ see how far they bounce when tossed off your roof. Shocked Did I say that out loud??
~ have freinds over for a watermellon seed spitting contest

P.S. .... what is a CSA box?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010 03:32:50 PM by JulieOZ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010 06:11:26 PM »

Thanks JulieOZ. I really like the smoothie idea.

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. I pay a fixed price up front and receive a box of produce from a local farm once a week. I love it because it's organic, cheaper than the grocery store and it tastes amazing. You also get to try things that you wouldn't normally find at the store. If you're in the US, you can find CSAs in your area at localharvest.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SedonaWildflower
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010 07:26:19 PM »

I did this one thing once... after having eaten all the watermellon that you really don't like use the rind to make pickles! It sounds crazy, but they're really good. It's a southern thing, really. There's a ton of different recipes to make watermellon rind pickles (they're almost always sweet, but with some spice to them). They take a bit of work, though... cutting, peeling, soaking, rinsing, cooking.... and then you can them. That's all I have other than what the post above said.

Paula Deen made an interesting watermellon, onion, and feta salad once. Never tried it, but it looks good. Sweet and salty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieOZ
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010 08:47:02 AM »

Paula Deen made an interesting watermellon, onion, and feta salad once. Never tried it, but it looks good. Sweet and salty.

I forgot about that salad. I like a version of a bed of mixed greens, small cubes of very cold watermellon, fetta & walnuts or smoked almonds. So tasty. I dress it with greek dressing & lime juice. Also very good with diced procuttio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
landofoz
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010 11:39:42 AM »

FINALLY!!!  I can't stand the texture and I'm not crazy about the flavor either!!  It's about time I met you!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knk4ever
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010 02:18:11 PM »

Have you tried cubing/balling the watermelon and then freezing it? It changes the texture a bit and watermelon is best when it's really really cold. You can also make watermelon lemonade. Watermelon and lemon or lime granita is yummy too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieOZ
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010 10:10:50 AM »

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. I pay a fixed price up front and receive a box of produce from a local farm once a week. I love it because it's organic, cheaper than the grocery store and it tastes amazing. You also get to try things that you wouldn't normally find at the store. If you're in the US, you can find CSAs in your area at localharvest.org
Thank you for the info!! I found 2 in my area, not sure if I can join mid season, but I have left messages with both farms. It's a great idea! I was able to find a couple other farm markets I didn't know about too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MTLwordsmith
Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010 09:42:25 AM »

Watermelon Gazpacho!

I made the recipe here: http://blog.healthy-green-lifestyle.com/watermelon-gazpacho.html for my boyfriend and myself - he's also not a huge watermelon fan.

I made a few substitutions to the recipe as listed: 1) I used only 3 tomatoes and added 1 big peeled cucumber (blended with the melon and tomatoes), 2) left out the almonds and 3) crushed a chipotle pepper instead of using a sauce.

It really cuts the watermelon taste and texture - especially if you blend it well, but still tastes like summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the Purple Cow
-Seth Godin
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010 03:29:32 PM »

Vodka watermelon!

See here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Traditional Crawfish Etouffee
How to Make a Grilled Reuben Sandwich
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
How to Make Candied Yams
How to Make Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...