A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lamp into Iron Maiden's Eddie Sculpture  (Read 1952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 31, 2010 12:04:40 AM »

So yeah... I have an idea but no idea on how to execute.

I want to find an el cheapo lamp from Goodwill or similar and turn the base into a sculpture of Eddie from Iron Maidendom.

If you don't know who/what that is links to pics: Iron Maiden Eddie Google Search

I'm thinking I'll just do like head and upper shoulders (nothing too fancy) and most of it will depend on the shape of the lamp I find but what do I use to make the sculpture? I've never done this sort of thing beyond polymer clay bits so I'm at a loss. I would prefer something I don't have to fire in a kiln or bake in an oven and maybe just airdry? I'll need something slow drying because I'm not the greatest sculpter.

Sorry for being so vague and random... I just don't know what's out there. =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010 09:07:38 AM »

Sounds like an awesome idea, but I'd build up the layers first, otherwise you're going to spending a lot of money on clay. I can't recommend clay (as I'm only used to using terracotta and stoneware, clay that you have to fire in a kiln) but I would recommend you search around for materials that you would want to build up the body and the form of the sculpture with. I would say build it up to to a point where you'd only need to cover it in clay between 1/4" and 1/2" thick.

Materials you could use to build it up:
-foam
-batting
-tin foil
-cloth
-styrofoam
-newspaper
-papier-mch
-cardboard (cut into small pieces, cardboard can form rounded shapes quite easily, its like a puzzle)
-felt

There are any number of materials you could use and since I'm always looking to spend as little as possible, I'd just dig around my apartment for stuff to use. I've been known to make sculptures with broken toys, spray paint them, and call them art, but then again I usually pull all my art projects out of my ass.

lol

You could use any kind of method of attachment, although my personal favorite is hot glue gun, but if you want something more secure (although it will be covered in clay) you could use a stronger glue like a 2 part Epoxy, gorilla glue, E-6000, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_bees_knees

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 11:08:11 AM »

If I were you, I'd start with a lamp-wiring kit, which you can get at most hardware stores, and build it up from there. Often, they consist of the electrical stuff (which is really easy to put together) and a pipe, which forms the base of the lamp body and gives the wire a place to run. If you want to use polymer clay, you can build an "armature" of aluminum foil, and then pile the polymer clay on top of that (makes it more lightweight and less expensive). That would also work with air-drying clay, but that might not hold up quite as well. Paper mache is another fun way to go, and it's super cheap to make and easy to adjust if you make an error.

Good luck, and make sure to post photos when you're done! I'd love to see it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010 02:48:17 PM »

I would take any lamp and build a wire armature around it. You could start with chicken wire or a thin wire that you bind together with a variety of pliers. Then you can add what ever you want on top. I've used newspaper and fabric with glue or flour and water. I have even used a variety of colored duct tape to make sculptures over a wire frame. Good luck.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010 06:37:17 PM »

Great ideas guys! I never thought of building up a base so I would use less clay. Total DOH! /facepalm moment for me. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ossidrizz
Bomblebeep

Carnage in the Aisles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010 10:29:47 PM »

oh man, i can't wait for this to be finished. i really want to see it XD
i like to use flour and water paste, and newpaper, either in strips or pulp. it's cheap, easy and dries rock hard. for bulking it up and doing the actual molding i would just use whatever's in my house as well.
not much of an original suggestion, but i just wanted to stick my nosy nose in Cheesy
brand new i am!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brighter Than a Brain Pie-
Wistlings
Blargh! A Blog!
SkyyAngel
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010 11:59:55 PM »

oh man, i can't wait for this to be finished. i really want to see it XD
i like to use flour and water paste, and newpaper, either in strips or pulp. it's cheap, easy and dries rock hard. for bulking it up and doing the actual molding i would just use whatever's in my house as well.
not much of an original suggestion, but i just wanted to stick my nosy nose in Cheesy
brand new i am!

Sadly haven't started yet (lack of funds... poo! plus, way busy with christmas gifts). I will def post pics when I do though. Smiley I'm hoping it will turn out as awesome in real life as it is in my head, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Special Beauty Offer from HSN
How To Get The Perfect Eyebrows
Best Buys for Under $10
Beauty Expert Shares 4 Great Anti-Aging Products
NewBeauty Testtube May Sneak Peek
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...