A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweaters that don't fit.  (Read 3704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DanniJo85
« on: July 30, 2010 03:01:46 PM »

I have a whole bunch of sweaters that don't fit... I've gained a little weight and the sweaters are too tight. But i love them so much that I can't part with them. What can i do with them so I can wear them this winter? All, I can think is wrist warmers....  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be my facebook friend! Willow Grayson (the koala).

http://www.workinginthegreenroom.blogspot.com - My Blog!
http://www.vendio.com/stores/JoliVousHomemade - My Shop!
http://www.wists.com/MeanOrange - My Wist!
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010 04:09:10 PM »

If you're into crochet/knitting/weaving/other fiber arts, and if your sweaters are made of yarn, you can always unravel them and use the yarn to make other stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
doveylou
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010 04:49:10 PM »

Check your bookstore, or better yet, your public library, for books on recycling or remaking or altering clothing.  You may be able to convert a too-small-in-the-bust pullover to a cardigan which you could wear open.  Or you could take a sweater apart and use the pieces to make scarves, hats or mittens (especially wool sweaters, which you can felt first in your washer at home).  I am sure someone on craftster or instructables has probably done some inspirational thing that will appeal to you!  And if the sweaters are just a bit too small and made of natural fibers, maybe you could block them to stretch them a tiny bit.  I don't know if your dry cleaner could do this for you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010 02:02:08 PM »

I've been reading through old posts and came across this:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=295735.0

Which might be right up your alley. I've the same problem - gained weight but love all my old clothes and I think a quilt/blanket will be awesome (as soon as I'm done the million other things I'm working on - whew!)

Hope that helps,

Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fibrous
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010 03:50:05 AM »

If they are wool you could put them in the washing machine on hot and felt them, then they can be cut and made into something new.

Here's some info:
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/2259/how-to-felt-sweaters
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010 09:21:55 AM »

I actually just sketched some sweater ideas out last night, using non-wool sweaters. 

1.  If the neckhole still fits comfortably, open the seams in the sleeves and body in one sweater, then use another to make wedges to fill in the gaps, and sew up a short sweater cape to wear over a turtleneck.  They're very fashionable this year.  Especially cowl necks. 

2.  You can also cut the sleeves off a sweater and stretch the finished side down over an ugly but comfortable pair of shoes and glue carefully all the way around along the top of the sole to cover the shoe completely.  Voila!  Sweater boots!  Also quite fashionable now.  I think the key to the cutest ones are to choose a comfy, ugly nurse shoe with some wedge height to it...but maybe that's cuz I'm short.  Here's the post I found most inspiring:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67859.0

You can use the body of the sweater left over to stitch up a simple hat or two. 

You can also use sweater strips to make a ruffle for a denim skirt or even pants.  If you have a wide strip (or several sewn together) make a sweater flare for your jeans (maybe an old but well-fitting tapered style...I hate tapered pants) cutting them off at the knee (or wherever you want) down, then putting on a sweater ruffle that goes ankle-legth (or whatever length you prfer, such as capri). 

If you don't have the skill or serger (like me) to knit and/or sew neat, finished seams and edges on sweater knit, don't worry, because raw edges are very trendy right now as well.  Yay for that!!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010 02:58:34 PM by dharmaworker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
thegreengriffin
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010 08:36:52 PM »

i was going to say to felt them also but someone beat me to it, heres some ideas of what to make out of the felt though <3

potholders

pouches for glasses, cameras, ipods, ect

purses

you can also make patchwork scarves, blankets, pillows, ect
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jbolonee
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010 10:20:48 AM »

I have seen some really cute ideas, such as cutting the sweaters into squares, and machine sewing them into a patchwork afghan- this will keep the edges from unraveling. Or, I love the idea of cutting your sweaters into the larges squares or rectangles you can and then sewing them together to make big throw pillows. I made one for my cat, because he would always sneak onto the clean pile of laundry before I could get it put away, and inevitably he would find a way to go for the sweater and leave cat hair all over! So he got the sweater, it is warm and cozy and he has a nice little cushion to snooze on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissablair

I like my coffee like I like my men: pale & bitter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 12:28:24 PM »

I love the throw pillow idea!  I never would have thought of that, but it's perfect for super comfy sweaters!  If your sweaters are the kind of material that won't felt, you could unravel them, which i believe someone already mentioned, and use the yarn for your own projects.  You could also cut it down, and make a sweater for a pet, or for a kid in your family.  That being said, it's just started to get cold here, and I dropped off a big box of sweaters to a local women's shelter just the other day.  I was rewarded by a huge smile and heartfelt thanks from the volunteers that run it.  Someone will love your sweater as much as you do, regardless of what you do with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing on earth more entertaining than watching a pack of half-grown puppies playing in snow for the very first time.

http://www.wists.com/lissablair
lisarose
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010 07:50:06 PM »

*Use the sleeve of an older sweater to create a handy plastic bag holder to hang from a door. The stretchy wrist end is perfect for the bottom and you dont even need to stitch it closed. Just cut the shoulder seam and sew a neater edge. You can add embellishments such as ric-rac at the edges. Loop a piece of elastic and sew to the top to hang from a door.
* You can do this to make a gift bag for a bottle,such as wine, as well. Just don't cut down as far as the shoulder-cut as long as the bottle & sew that end closed. Tuck your bottle in it, bring the sleeve up around the neck of the bottle & tie closed with things such as a cute hair band, some felt or yarn.
*Coffee Cup Sleeves or Water Bottle Cozies- Cut a band in your old sweater sleeve to make a coffee cup sleeve, or use a larger piece of the sleeve for a water bottle cozy. You can felt the sweater first to make a more solid material fit for embroidery and other embellishing. I use this one alot.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Bananas
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Part 5 - How to Make Tempura Noodles
7 Steps to Eating Healthy at Chinese Restaurants
Thai Foodcast: Green Curry Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...