A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: honey-mint cupcakes with honey-cream cheese frosting.  (Read 1769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curlymunster
« on: July 30, 2010 10:05:26 AM »

so i've recently started reading The Secret Life of Bees.
i'm loving it. and it got me all inspired to bake with honey.
i also have recently fallen in love with the show Cupcake Wars. so cupcakes seemed like an obvious choice.

i altered a recipe for plain vanilla cupcakes i found on a blog. substituted 1/3 cup of honey for half the sugar. and added 2 teaspoons of mint extract.
sadly, i forgot to add the second stick of butter. the recipe said 1 cup so, in my head, that computed to just 1 all around. they're not terribly dry, but i think they would have been the perfect consistency had i not forgotten.

the frosting is beautiful. tastes wonderful. the honey flavor is subtle, but you can tell it's there because the whole cupcake tastes a little different than it does with normal sugar.

my family doesn't like the additionally mint flavor at all. i think it's great. it really freshens up a really dense cupcake. the honey works kind of like molasses and makes the cake rather dense.
oh well. to each his own. =)

my only real problem with this recipe is the HUGE amount of butter it requires. is that normal for cupcake recipes or is there another way to achieve moist cupcakes without causing arterial blockages?

here is the recipe for your baking enjoyment.

cake
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. honey
4 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 t. mint extract

cream together the butter, sugar, and honey. beat in each egg, one at a time. mix together all the dry ingredients in a separate container. alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk until everything is all mixed together. add mint extract.
bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes.

frosting
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
4 T. butter
4 T. honey
3-4 c. confectioners' sugar

beat together the butter and cream cheese. mix in honey. add confectioners' sugar until desired taste and consistency is achieved.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MiLady
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010 10:18:08 AM »

I love the idea of honey and mint, I make my cupcakes by weighing my eggs with shells first. 1 egg makes about 6 cup cakes, 2 eggs 12 and so on.

I then use the same quantity of butter, sugar and flour as my eggs. In your case substituting half the sugar for honey.
I mix my butter and sugar first, then add eggs and then sift in flour (and baking powder if it's not self raising)
My auntie taught me this method and it's never yet failed.

As for the frosting, you can make it using only icing sugar and cream cheese (a low fat one), this is what I usually do.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010 10:19:49 AM by MiLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010 11:00:06 AM »

I've never been much of a fan of mint-flavored anything, but I like your honey cupcake and honey frosting ideas.  Also, your pictures are beautiful!  Everything looks so green there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010 02:15:59 PM »

What a great idea, I'm going to give it a shot! Also, you can sub in unsweetened applesauce for about half the fat (so one stick of  butter and half a cup of applesauce, instead of two sticks of butter). Tastes the same without the heart attack. I feel like the applesauce make the consistency a little lighter, but maybe that's me. Make sure it's definitely unsweetened and unflavored, or you may inadvertently create a new cupcake recipe which may or may not be that great. Wink You can use the ratio of half fat half applesauce for any baked recipe that calls for fat. I particularly like it for cookies and muffins.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010 02:17:51 PM by pollyprissypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

handcramp
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010 02:19:22 PM »

I am seriously jealous of your little setup there. Green lawn, relaxing chair, refreshing lemonade, cupcake. Nope, it doesn't get any better. I definitely need to try baking with honey, maybe in banana bread too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010 11:19:07 PM »

How many grams is a stick of butter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
queensqueeze
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010 05:47:24 AM »

It's quite a large recipe, would easy make 3 dozen or do cupcakes I'm estimating, so I don't think the butter is excessive.
A stick is approx 125 gms so the recipe has 250 gms according to my calcs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingerpeachy
Will swap for knitted hexi-puffs (beekeepers quilt) or heart-shaped buttons

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010 04:40:30 AM »

I love all that is cupcake. and honey.  these belong in my belly.  like now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as Sinellia.
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010 05:44:30 AM »

What a lovely idea! I love mint but honey and I do not get along due to my allergies. I can imagine (all too well) how tasty those cupcakes are!

The Secret Life of Bees is a great book. If you're interested by more by that author, try The Mermaid Chair. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shooting For Super Resolution
Lighting Shooting and Retouching
Light Painting and Starlight Photography
The Retouching
Retouching the Background in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...