A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,776
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My head hurts. Rebuilding a loom  (Read 1047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brittles
« on: July 25, 2010 10:09:13 PM »

Howdy,

short version:
Does anyone have any experience with counter balance looms that don't have lams?

long version:
So recently I came into possession of what I THINK to be a counterbalance four harness floor loom. I think that because it doesn't have any of the rigging to be a jack or counter-marche loom. I scored this loom on the super cheap and one of the reasons for that, other than the owner didn't weave, was it's castle is missing. I've read through a bunch of articles and looked at some diagrams in books and think I am capable of building a new castle and a new counter-balance system with pulleys and nylon cording,
BUT
here is the confusing part, this loom has no lams, so I'm really concerned about how I am going to work the treadles and have them respond in a way that creates a nice shed without the pull from the treadles being centered in some way.

I learned how to weave on a jackloom so all of this is very, very new and confusing to me. Here is terrible cell phone picture of the loom in question

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010 10:10:04 PM by Brittles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShoelessJane
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010 02:57:08 PM »

The Loom Book, by Tim Reed (haha!) (http://www.amazon.com/Loom-Book-Tim-Reed/dp/068414073X%3FSubscriptionId%3D1NNRF7QZ418V218YP1R2%26tag%3Dbkfndr59-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D068414073X) (Amazon link because it has a photo, other online bookstores have it even cheaper)

It's complete instructions on how to build a 4H counterbalance loom from scratch.  You should be able to take the section on lam/pulley assembly, tweak the measurements to fit your loom, and build what you need.

Good luck--I only understand counterbalance looms in theory, I've never actually used/built one, though I'd like to and may someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Wayne Gonzales at Paula Cooper Gallery
How to paint with your hands
How to Draw an Easy Spider
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...