A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday July 30, 2010  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jrain
« on: July 30, 2010 05:26:04 AM »

I've been working on this one on and off for what feels like forever so I'm happy to finally be able to show it off! Cheesy

Three different shades of green fibre that I got in a botany lap waste bag from world of wool. I believe that they are all merino. It ended up as 73g and 119m, Navajo plied, approximately DK weight. The colour changes are abrupt as I just switched between the different colours as I was spinning so it should produce distinct stripes when knitted up. I spun it while I was away visiting family so I got to educate a few people about the joys of spinning! Wink

What squishy goodness does everyone else have to show off this week?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010 05:40:54 AM »

Gorgeous yarn!  I love the shades of green in it...can't wait to see more fiber Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2014
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010 07:36:56 AM »

Mmm so pretty. *_*

Sadly nothing from me, it's been a while hasn't it? I'm bringing my wheel with me to visit my Aunt so hopefully I'll have a yarn or two to share in the next two weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010 08:17:18 AM »

Those greens are so pretty!  Question: what are the waste bags from World of Wool?  I've never heard of that before -- is it just kind of a grab bag?

I finally have something to post this week!  Mine is "Peacock."  94 yards hand spun on a homemade CD drop spindle before I bought my wheel.  The very dark blue and green are merino, the rest is corriedale.  I had a sample variety pack of lots of colors of roving from Mielke's, so I held a peacock feather up next to the roving and grabbed all the colors I saw in the feather.  I split them into roughly even sizes and tried to repeat the colors in roughly the same order.  It's been languishing on my spindle forever, because I'd decided I didn't like it at all, but now that it's off the spindle I really do like it!  I think I'll make a rapunzel scarf with it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jrain
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010 01:28:24 PM »

nikschaf: Yes, they're basically grab bags with lots of bits and bobs - ends of run on the blending machines, that sort of thing. Great value if you just want to try out bits of different fibres and don't mind about colours.

Mmm, I love the colours of your Peacock yarn! It's amazing how different a yarn can look when you put it into a skein, isn't it? I think it will look fantastic as a rapunzel scarf. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaWillow
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010 04:12:30 PM »

Everyone else has amazing handspun, I don't feel my yarn is good enough to post here just yet. So if I shouldn't have, I do apologize. This is my second attempt at spinning. 3 ounces of merino. The pictures don't do the colors justice, I'm really bad at taking pictures, and my brothers cat decided she hated my yarn and kicked the remainder into a huge knot. It's actually blue with silvery greens, reds, and purples. I have started knitting this: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTKSabby.html

It's nice to work with, and since it's my second handspun, I am proud of the fact that it is almost consistently even through out. I hope I can make yarn as pretty as the others posted with more practice. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice. Oh and it lights up the night.-Stevie Nicks
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010 04:51:19 PM »

jrain:  I looked up World of Wool and see it's in the UK -- so shipping to me in the US would probably wipe out the savings.  I do like the idea of a grab bag of different colors though!  Yes, I am happy now that the yarn is in a skein.  It's amazing how yarns really transform in appearance.

LunaWillow -- your yarn is beautiful!  It's much more consistent than mine -- did you see how thick and thin mine is?  It is fun to see your yarn being knitted up.  I've only made one item (a cowl) from my homespun thus far, and it was SO SATISFYING to work with my own yarn.  Great job!!  And I'll bet your brother's cat actually LOVED the yarn and didn't hate it.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Questions for Douglas Coupland
Will Bunch Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Crystal Renn Talks About Hungry
Debbie Macomber Talks About One Simple Act
Richard Belzer Talks About I Am Not a Psychic
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...