A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make ur own BUTTER  (Read 20049 times)
Tags for this thread: butter , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faux_Valentine
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010 01:13:59 PM »

Wow! That looks amazing! How long did it take you to churn that batch? I dont have one of those awesome self contained mixers so me and my handy hand blender would be doing all the work. Also if you dont freeze it how long is is good for? Oh and one more thing how much does one 1/2 gallon ( or what ever the size you have there) make?

Thanks for the information I have to try this now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010 06:39:11 PM »

One of the things she mentioned was home made butter but I had no clue how to go about making that and haven't had time to research it yet.  Thanks for all the valuable information, and especially the pictures.

So, to flavor it, you can add salt like stafishtaylz said...what else can you do to it?  I know my doctor said something about almond butter...is that the same thing as this, just with almonds or almond oil added?  Hmmm...

salt is not really needed to make butter, it just enhances the flavour a little but when you are cooking cakes etc you should always use salt free.
as SnoCro said, Thanks for that too Smiley , you can use any flavour you like, herbs, garlic, you really have no limit to what you can add.
SnoCro has already answered the almond paste one so I will leave it at that as I ca ad nothing more.

This looks like something that kids could help make. I love the simple nature of this and the "freezability"! Thanks for posting!

we did this at school when the kids were little, you can use a babyfood jar a a tad of cream and just shake it. Kids love it we gave them a dry savoury biscuit to taste it with.

What type of cream did you use?
any full fat cream, the beating solidifies the fat removing it from the liquid.
I used whipping cream in this post as I can get it in 2 litre bottles.

Wow! That looks amazing! How long did it take you to churn that batch? I dont have one of those awesome self contained mixers so me and my handy hand blender would be doing all the work. Also if you dont freeze it how long is is good for? Oh and one more thing how much does one 1/2 gallon ( or what ever the size you have there) make?

Thanks for the information I have to try this now!

It takes about 5-10 minutes to do a batch I use about 600-700 ml per bowl as near the end it tends to spit liquid out at you.

You can use any hand held beater also, my husband has accidently made butter with a tuperware cream jar thingo, he was suppose to me making vanilla cream for a birthday cake and instead we got vanilla butter, don't limit yourself to a machine to make it, you can do it anything, even a whisk and jug but it will take longer and give you a good workout too,  Cheesy

from 6 litre of cream I got aprox 1-1.5 litre of butter milk , which I use in cooking it makes really nice pancakes and freezes well.
and about 5-6 500g bags of butter.
it depends on the brand and fat content of the cream as to how much you with yeild.

I keep it in the fridge for a 1-2 weeks but I tend to freeze mine in bags and just break some off an thaw it as I need it, this way it lasts longer.

Thanks for all your comments. I just love making butter and stumbled accross how to by accident some years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010 07:49:14 PM »

This is such a great post! Didn't know butter is this easy to make.  Thanks for sharing! I will make some soon! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010 08:09:44 PM »

another thing that is a must do! thanks for letting me know it's not that hard!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010 04:47:42 AM »

This looks like something that kids could help make. I love the simple nature of this and the "freezability"! Thanks for posting!

we did this at school when the kids were little, you can use a babyfood jar a a tad of cream and just shake it. Kids love it we gave them a dry savoury biscuit to taste it with.

YES!!  I did this with my daughter a few months back and she loved it!  It's neat for them to see the process and know how things are made.  We used a jar and added some marbles to the cream before shaking it up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010 04:48:14 AM by atsuko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010 07:13:37 AM »

That looks really good!
How long does it take in the mixer? 
I really need to get a stand mixer... oh one of these days when I figure out where the store it when it's not in use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010 01:30:13 AM »

it only take about 10 mins with a mixer, even a hand held one,
Basically whip the cream however you normally would and then keep beating it.
so simple.
I am lucky I have a walk in pantry, which is full, but I store my bench mixer( it's a kenwood) in there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010 06:18:17 PM »

try cinnamon & honey in your butter also. soooo delicious on spice bread!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
drunkenatheist
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010 04:13:17 AM »

Oh man, this is soooo tempting, but I have a feeling that butter making would not go over well with my other half.  lol!

I still want to do it at least once just to taste the difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeJa
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010 06:48:37 AM »

Oooh, I love homemade butter. When I was a Brownie Girl Scout we use to make it in jars. Just put the cream in a jar, close the lid real tight and shake!! Then get the crackers ready.  Delicious  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
French Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
No-Cook Strawberry Jam Ice Cream Recipe
“Get a Man” Carrot Cake With Lauren Jones in Miami, FL
How to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sundae
Can Chocolate Pudding Be Healthy? Oh Yes!!
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...