A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tie Dyeing with Acrylic Paints?  (Read 7120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scream-a-little
« on: May 15, 2005 03:42:05 PM »

just wondering if anyone would know about tie dyeing? in another thread in party planning, there is a tutorial about dyeing with acrylic paints instead of dye. my question is whether i could add some textile medium to help set the colour better? or even adding vinegar to the cold water rinse? it's a really fun way to tie dye but i want the colours to set better, i would hate the idea that parents come back at me with all their clothes having been mottled with different colours. any help would be appreciated.. ty scream-a-little
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
moefen
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005 10:53:45 PM »

Hmm, i haven't heard about tie dyeing with paint.  Diluted Paint doesn't act the same as dye, in that it doesn't sink into the fabric fibres, it just sits on top.

Acrylic paint usually sets well to fabric, it doesn't run or fade.  You might experience it cracking, if it is applied thickly.  Textile medium would help this, because it makes the dries acrylic paint softer but it won't help the paint SET. If you try tie dyeing with paint, i think your final product would feel quite stiff and crunchy.

I would recommend using dyes instead of paint.

Vinegar in the rinse water won't affect the paint at all because it has dried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005 11:47:51 PM »

thanks moefen.. how the acrylic paint is used is by diluting it.. the lady that does it has taught it at camps.. she's never used textile medium so had no idea if it would help or not.. here's the link to that thread & her tutorial.. take care scream-a-little Smiley
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34206.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005 11:52:25 PM »

My sister tie-dyed some really gorgeous shirts using acrylics. She did them in all colors of the rainbow and they turned out lovely.

I believe there are two ways you can do this...
1. Tie up or rubber band your shirts or whatever you're dying the same way you normally would. Then mix your acrylics with water using a paintbrush and get them to about the same consistency as watercolor, so that you end up with deeply colored water without big globs of paint on your brush or floating around. Then brush the watery colors onto the fabric wherever you want it. Let dry and untie and there you go.
2. Basically do the same only instead of brushing on the colors you simply dip the clothes into the mixture, again making sure before that you don't have a lot of globs of paint in the water. Although, actually, that can make a cool effect where the color is darker and thicker but it would feel more like a stenciled acrylic shirt in that spot than on the rest, think stiffer and more painted than dyed.

If you've ever painted with acrylics and washed your brushes in a cup between colors, it's kind of like that. You just then use the water to dye the fabric.

That should work but you might want to test it out on a practice fabric first. The colors on my sister's shirts stayed pretty well, with only slight fading if any as I recall, and she only used paints, no fabric medium or anything to help set the paint. Possibly ironing or drying them in a dryer before you wash them would help make certain they don't fade though. She just used the regular acrylics as well, not the fabric kind but you might be better off with the fabric kind as far as the mixing goes because they tend to already contain more water than the regular paints.

Hope that helps!

OH! I just realized you already had a tutorial, sorry. It's late.  Embarrassed   Well, like I said, with the regular acrylics there was little to no fading and I definitely don't remember any of our other clothes getting stained or anything like that. I don't know about the fabric paints but the regular acrylics do not come out unless you really try and even then they usually don't. I've often washed my paint rags that have color all over them with other stuff and none have gotten paint on anything else. I think you should just do a practice run, maybe dye/paint one then once you've dried it wash with another white shirtyou'll be dying to make sure nothing happens to it?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005 11:59:02 PM by quack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scream-a-little
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005 03:18:03 AM »

thanks quack!! those were the answers i was looking for.. my biggest concern was that the colours would wash out right away or fade fast.. i was given 75 bottles of acrylic paints so this is a great use for them..  rakuette in the other thread suggested squeezeable ketchup bottles and since this is for kids they will work out perfect.. i will be sure to post pics of their creations too.. cheers scream-a-little  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005 12:22:20 PM »

Oh, well glad I was of help then! I'll be looking for the pictures of the final product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Chicken Livers and Cauliflower Puree
How to Cook Grilled Tuna with Green Olive Relish
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
How to Cook Jambalaya
How to Cook Salt Beef
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...