A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Facebook Fan Pages  (Read 4276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

metalsmitten
MetalSmitten!

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2010 10:15:21 AM »

I just wanted to remind everyone that it's completely cool to post your link if you're pointing out something in particular you've done or you're asking for help, but please don't just post a link to your Facebook page just to get likes or with no real comment or question. Self-advertising rules still apply even here!
- jungrrl

Does anyone else here utilize a Facebook Fan Page to help market themselves? I've had a one for a long time but I don't use it effectively. Somehow though I've magically still managed to accrue a few fans, so I've kinda realized recently that I should actually try to make it a little better haha. I think FB can be a really powerful marketing tool if you can make yours stand out from the crowd, which granted, is kinda difficult when you're given such a narrow customization ability.

So I started by doing a little research trying to find fun things you -can- do with Facebook, and this led me to change my profile picture. The profile photos are pretty easy to update, and so important, since they're usually the first thing someone sees when they land on your page, and many people (myself included!) don't realize at first that you can actually use a picture up to 180x540 in size! Essentially, you can make a custom skyscraper banner for yourself that you use as your profile image instead of one little square photo.

I'm still working on mine to get it more cohesive, but just playin around with it, Facebook now looks like it's wearing one of my pendants! I think this is pretty eye-catching on a site full of identical templates, and it's fun to say that my charm is so awesome that even Facebook wears it. Tongue

Next I wanna make a custom welcome page using an FBML box.

So who here has a particularly awesome Fan Page? Have you done anything special with it? If not, you should Tongue

Mine is at http://www.facebook.com/metalsmittenjewelry  if you wanna see what I'm blathering about!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012 10:36:28 AM by jungrrl - Reason: added note. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010 02:19:39 PM »

That's pretty clever - except, as a graphic designer, I only notice that the borders of the pic and the FB border don't quite match up. Sorry, it prolly doesn't bother anybody else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 04:50:57 PM »

The images look pretty cool! I see what craftychef is talking about, but looks pretty easy to fix to me, if the FB border is in the photo itself.

I think most people don't realize that FB pages, and etsy pages, and pretty much all web pages, have to be promoted to really get a lot of traffic. It will probably get lost in the enormous cosmos of the interwebs otherwise. I really want to try out the FB advertising, but I haven't yet. If you do, let us know how well it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 09:25:22 AM »

One of the first advertising bits I did after I opened my shop was to get a Facebook fan page.  Almost everyone I know uses it regularly, so I suggested it to all my friends and then had my mother and my fiance suggest it to everyone they knew.  A couple likes so far, but no sales.  I confess I'm not completely sure how to effectively utilize it.  Any hints/ideas/tips?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Everyday-Unique/144693565552924
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 09:27:41 AM by writer_crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
procraftinatty
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010 10:40:47 AM »

I'm still working on making my fan page on facebook.  I have been told by a few people that they find it a good way to market themselves.  Thanks for the tip about the image size.  I'm going to try something like that on my page!
I think your fan page looks really great!  (I didn't notice about the borders).  I quite like the photos of your work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010 10:01:45 AM »

I like your FB fan page.  I to have one, though it's still under construction as is my shop.  I have a few items for sale but so far it's slow going.  I like you'r picture and it has given me an idea on what I should do with mine. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aris-Treasures/118587868155051
And I love the stuff you've made! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011 07:35:51 AM »

Yes, I like your fanpage - especially the picture.  Very clever.  Wink

I do have a FB page but never know what to put on it.  Only about 30 fans anyway! ( guess I probably know each of those personally)
Luckily, I do get a lot of traffic direct to my website and I am starting on a newsletter to go out at the end of the month.
If I had any answers I'd share them, but as far as FB goes, my skills are obviously lacking.
My idea was to have a competition where people could enter if they 'liked' my page, but then I read that this is against the FB rules, so will have to think of something new.  Huh

Good luck and keep going - getting known just takes time.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011 10:57:45 AM »

I have one too - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kern-Kern-Crafts/176214592423313 - but unfortunately I don't have enough fans or followers or whatever yet to be able to create a custom username like you have. I love the FB page you created though! I didn't notice the borders, either, but maybe you already changed it. Have you sold anything from FB, or has it all been through other media (other website, craft shows, etc.)? I'm just starting so need all the help I can get! Smiley
Craftdabbler - apparently people do it anyway... I haven't read the rules but one of my friends entered into a competition to win free engagement rings if they got the most "likes" on their picture, but to like the picture, you had to like the page... that page is still up so is there something specific that limits certain businesses or whatever?

Anyone know if you're supposed to get a confirmation pop-up or whatever, asking if you're sure you want to suggest your page to friends? Cuz I've tried to do it several times on different computers, and never got it to say anything other than "loading" or "reading" or something...I hope I didn't send the suggestion five times haha
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011 11:07:18 AM by thekster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011 07:10:09 PM »

I was thinking of doing a contest but now that I see it's against the rules to urge people to like the page I am stuck for ideas? Can I still do a contest where I ask people to like photos? I like the skyscraper banner and I am thinking of designing a photo for it. My facebook page is bare and I can't get people to comment on the things I post :/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bound-To-Be/176323125737892
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladymizri
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011 02:08:53 PM »

I also have a fb page, but can't seem to get more fans.  I have 13 right now, and 9 of them are family/friends.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/MaeFlowers-JuneBugs/378707273628  I post on it, but don't know yet how to generate traffic to it... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Heat Displacement - Shake 4.1
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
How to Use the Copy SOP - SideFX Houdini
How to Use Metaballs - SideFX Houdini
How to Texture - SideFX Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...