A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo tutorial, take in your baggy butt pants. Picture heavy.  (Read 9565 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 29, 2010 09:44:31 AM »

I'm a bigger gal, but I inherited my Dad's flat bum. Its called the Noassatall Disease, its more prominent in men, so when I buy pants to fit my waist the butt sags and the crotch hangs halfway to my knees. I am here today to remedy that. Plus I am losing weight and since I like most of my clothes, I'd like them to be able to downsize with me rather than buy all new clothing. I found some good instructions on-line finally in a comment in another forum, but no pictures, so I photographed the process for you guys.

(I have another version of this fix that I will post soon, and link it here, it is much less involved, all you do is take in the inseam from crotch to knee. I have some pix of pants I've already done this too, and I'm going to do another pair soon. =D)

The problem:

My bum is not that shape, but more like this:

Step One: Turn your pants inside out and put them on, make chalk marks on the inseam and side seams at the knee. Pinch the side seams and figure out about how many inches you want to take in, at this point I stood in front of a bigger mirror with a handheld mirror and guesstimated how many inches of crotch I was going to take in as well.

Step Two: Seam rip the back waist seam and back waist darts (If you have them. Also, releasing the darts became a moot point for me, I pulled the seat up so much that they disappeared into the waist band, but this is what the original instructions said, so I am keeping that info here.)

Step Three: Seam rip the side seams down to the knee line. (this is the outer seam where your hands rest at your side.)

Step Four: Take in the back side seams an even amount from waist to crotchline and then taper this amount to the original seamline at the kneeline.  This takes out some of the excess fabric all across the back. The wording here confused me a little, I took in my back side seam about two and a half inches at the top of the back piece and tapered down to the knee line. I hope this makes sense.

Step Five: Pin down the side seams, then try your pants on to make sure they're a comfortable fit. Just hold the rear up since it is no longer attached to the waist band mine stayed in place fine though. I felt like just taking in the side seams already did a lot for the pants, especially my profile. But, hey, I wasn't gonna stop there. I mean, I already ripped out the waist band, I'm balls deep at this point.

Okay, see where I only took in the back I did not take in the front panel at all, doing that that will mess up your pockets and the fit/drape of your pants, especially if you're my shape, I don't want the pants to hug my belly. I laid the pants down on my machine and followed the original seal line from the front of the pants as I sewed. This way you're sure to not lose any fabric in the front.

Here is what they look like after sewing up the side seam. I see a lot of improvement already.

Ummm...Step Six, yeah: Seam rip the crotch and inseam down to the knee line. (Inseam is the seam that touches your thighs, do not seam rip the seam that goes vertically on your butt or crotch.)

Step Seven: Take the back crotch/inseam in and taper to the knee line. Same thing here as step five, I took in fabric from the back and not the front, I followed the original seam line from the front. You want the front to look pretty much the same. Pin try them on, take a look in the morror, see what you think, adjust if necessary, then sew.

Step Eight: Decrease the dart length and width as needed to provide less curvature.  This takes some of the "roundness" out of the back. I did not do this step as I already noticed I was going to pull the waist seam up so much that the darts would be irrelevant, and well, I just don't care much for darts, or giving myself the appearance of a bubble butt.

Step Nine: Almost done, woot! I put the pants on for this step and checked in the mirror. Lift the waistline evenly across the center back, blending to the original seamline at the side seam area. This shortens the center back area and restores a more level hipline.

I then cut the waist, but i wish I hadn't, I wish I'd just folded it down. Tuck the waist into the waist band, pin and sew. I had a little trouble getting it straight, but I also didn't bother with darts.

Yeah, I was lazy and didn't cut the excess off from the side seams. Meh.

Here is the finished product. The legs from the knee down on the inside pushed forward a little, but it doesn't look too odd.

Yay, no more saggy ass-pants! Booty dance anyone?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010 10:05:50 AM by moxiepurple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
Catielove
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010 09:56:30 AM »

AWESOME! I too suffer from Noassatall Disease. I've always wondered how to take in my pants so they fit better. Cheesy Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!
mustachio
Sardonic Oxymoronic Lady (now with vegetables!)

I was riding shotgun in imaginary cars.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010 10:02:44 AM »

I suffer from giganticasssmallerw aist disease, where resizing is also needed sometimes (especially when my hips are as wide as the grand canyon and there are hipster pants to be worn). 
So this INSPIRES me to not throw out and to not frown and to be so happy! Yay! Fantasmic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010 10:11:35 AM »

Lol, you might have liked these pants as is then, they were brand new at the thrift store, and I didn't realize what the looked like on me till yesterday, after wearing them for months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
turtlegirl
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010 11:08:12 AM »

Grin LOL! I fix my sister's pants, too, but I tell her she laughed her ass off. Can't wait to tell her the name of her disease! Great job, they look awesome!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010 11:09:22 AM by turtlegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Pack For Beautiful Skin On and Off the Plane
Kim Kardashian to Release Weight Loss Book
Best & Worst Beauty
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Highlighter For The Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...