A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help my newbie knitting self learn how to purl stitch!  (Read 893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010 08:00:04 AM »

Okay, so backstory: I've crocheted for about 18 years now (YIKES!). I taught myself tunisian stitch, yada yada, decided it was time to learn how to knit.

I figured out how to mostly follow basic/newbie patterns, only made a few scarves so far...the problem is, I can't seem to pull off a purl stitch! Knit stitch, no problem what so ever, but purl.... I can't get my hands to cooperate, it doesn't feel comfortable/natural. Idk if it's because I've crocheted and held my hands a certain way for so many years that they fear change? I knit stitch very similar to how I would crochet, so I'm comfortable with it. I've continually tried a few techniques for purl, and sat there diligently keeping at it thinking it would become more comfortable as I go along, and it isn't.

So my cry for help is to all longtime crocheters to new knitters, new knitters, knitting jedi masters... Is there a certain way, method that was more comfortable for you to learn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010 08:36:56 AM »

When I was first learning to knit, I too mastered the knit stitch quickly but couldn't really "get" the purl stitch.  I discovered knittinghelp.com who has a video on the purl stitch and figured out what I was doing wrong! After that, things just clicked!  Check it out: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch

If you're holding the yarn in the left hand (as I suspect since you were a crocheter first) then you want the Continental video.  If you decided to learn to knit holding the yarn in your right hand, you want the English method.  There are two other purling methods here and those might be useful for you too, but I would start with either the Continental or English method one.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010 09:11:40 AM »

Thanks! Yep, I hold the yarn in my left hand....so does that make me a left handed knitter? I tried the english method, with holding it in the right hand and "throwing" it, and I realized it "wasn't for me", lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010 10:41:10 AM »

You're left handed only insofar as you hold your yarn in the L hand, that's called continental knitting. True left handed knitting is when your sts are on the R needle and you knit them onto the empty L needle.

What you may be doing is wrapping the yarn the same way you're used to in crocheting, and that's 'backwards' for the usual way it's wrapped in knitting. The yarn should wrap the needle in the same direction for both the knit and purl stitch, regardless which hand you hold it in. The only difference is how the R needle enters the stitch - from the front side to the back for a knit, from the back to the front for a purl. Your sts may be coming out twisted if this is the way you wrap.

Look at the Combined Purling method at knitting help; that may be how you're purling. Then look at the Combined knitting method on the Knit st page which will show you how to do the knit stitch so you can knit into the purl without getting twisted stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010 06:23:06 AM »

Okay, I've discovered that I'm definitely comfortable with combined knitting. Apparently I was originally attempting to combined knit and continental purl.  So now for a stupid question....My stitches seem kinda loose, and I know I'm using the right sized needles for the yarn, so would I go down a needle size to counteract this? I've been working on the tension, making sure I don't stretch out what I'm working on etc. I tend to be a tight crocheter, so I usually go up a hook size to maintain gauge, but this is throwing me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010 07:48:52 AM »

Okay, I've discovered that I'm definitely comfortable with combined knitting. Apparently I was originally attempting to combined knit and continental purl.  So now for a stupid question....My stitches seem kinda loose, and I know I'm using the right sized needles for the yarn, so would I go down a needle size to counteract this? I've been working on the tension, making sure I don't stretch out what I'm working on etc. I tend to be a tight crocheter, so I usually go up a hook size to maintain gauge, but this is throwing me.

Wow, a new knitter and your stitches are loose?? Usually new knitters knit and purl too tightly, so good for you! Check the gauge in your pattern, if you have less stitches on your needles than what the gauge states then you should try going down a needle size. For example if your gauge is supposed to be 16 sts per 4 inches (4 sts per inch) and the swatch you've knitted is 15 or 14 stitches per 4 inches than you should go down to a smaller needle.  If it is the opposite and you have MORE stitches on your needle (18-20) than you need to go to a larger sized needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 09:06:41 AM »

Thanks! I started wrapping the yarn differently around my fingers then how I do for crocheting, so I think that's what's keeping me from having too tight stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010 08:35:38 PM »

Yeah, loose sts are better than tight ones and you may find as you get more experience your tension will change again. But for now, just go down in needle size if you want to match a gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
craft minded
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010 11:58:22 AM »

I'm a crocheter turned knitter who knits continentally and just recently got comfortable with purling the correct way.

How I finally got it was by figuring out a way to hold the working yarn: I wrap it once around my pinkie and twice around the top section of my pointer finger.

This keeps it tight and easy to grab. I have to hold my purling yarn tighter than my knitting yarn, which may be the case with you, too, to help tight up your stitches a bit.

I had been purling the wrong way (by grabbing the working yarn so it was behind my needle), but that only meant that I had to knit through the back loop. I will probably continue to do it that way when I just do straight stockinette on something because it is soooo much easier to purl that way.

However, I started the Clapotis (which is the project in the picture), which meant I had to learn how to purl the right way because the Clapotis pattern makes you knit through both the front loop and the back loop, so the way I was used to knitting would have been too confusing for me.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010 06:57:42 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm pretty well getting the hang of it. Now I just need to decid what kind of circular needles to get and whether or not I want to bite the bullet, as they say, and just buy a set of knitpicks interchangeables Undecided. I don't need any regular knitting needles, I got a ton passed down to me from my great-grandmother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Zara Coats to Invest in This Fall
This Is the One Fashion Piece That Increases Value
3 Primark Outfits
Layered Fall Fashion
How to Look Like a Million Bucks for Less
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...