A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly vintage train case....now purdy-fied (pic chubby)  (Read 3491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2010 02:52:54 AM »

OK, I'm not really sure where this goes... but this seemed like as good of a spot as any. I found a crap ton of old hardback suitcases and traincases at a local thrift shop for like $1 each!!! (I know, right, OMG how could I not buy all of them) So I loaded up on them and figured I could probably paint them if nothing else. After some primer, and like a million coats of paint -which ended up being almost the exact same color as a Tiffany's box ::happy dance::   Grin I was finally ready for the detailing. For whatever reason I'm really into birds and peacocks right now, so a peacock feather seemed appropriate. Anyways, enough jabbering... onward to the pics!!! (which are crap-tastic right now bc my dog ate my digital camera  Tongue)

Please ignore the reconstruction... I am redoing our master bedroom (that wall color is the new color btw  Grin I luv it!)

So.... I was also thinking of adding another (much smaller) peacock feather on the top kinda off centered and at an angle... any suggestions? I dunno if that would be too much since its not a very big case.
 Also, Im redoing the interior with new fabric as well, but I was so happy with how it came out I figured I would go ahead and post it anyway  Grin
I have a suitcase in the same style and brand and will probably do it up to match.

Please any C&C welcome.
Thanks so much for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
Bunny of DOOM!
Plastic Dinosaurs are my life.

Rawr.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010 04:16:37 AM »

You have NO idea how jealous I am right now. I have been searching high & low for ever for a similar case to paint that exact colour- but there is NOTHING like that in the crappy thrift stores over here & all the ones on ebay cost a fortune! SO JEALOUS! It looks amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Correlating

YOU are a cheeseball! :D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010 06:10:49 AM »

this is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. and it makes me want to steal. JUST KIDDING!  Grin The color is lovely and the feather pattern is perfect with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...puttin' things together...
6craftycats
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010 08:03:17 AM »

Wisted! I have a case like this that my great aunt gaveme when I  was a kid to carry my art supplies to and from my lessons. Its blue and old and ugly and back then it totally embarrassed me lol. I have hung onto it all these years (25+) because of the memories. But I think I am totally going to paint it, redo the inside, and display it!

Thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010 09:01:46 AM »

Mmm, absolutely gorgeous color. The feather detail is just right as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist: here
Blog: Oh, Purl-ease.

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010 09:51:38 AM »

It looks fantastic!
I have a yucky beige colored one right now and have been thinking of painting it too, so your post comes in great time! I would not have thought to use a primer...thanks for that tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lewre
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010 11:16:10 AM »

I LOVE it! I wouldn't add another feather on the top. I think it's perfect just the way it is. You have no idea how jealous I am of the color on your walls, btw. lol. I love your dresser too! But, back on topic, the case is gorgeous. Adding a case to my list of things to hunt down in a thrift store! You did a GREAT job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyStoner
It's just a nervous tic motion of the head to the left

Digging personal swaps

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010 02:30:06 PM »

Oh I love this! I've been wanting to get a suitcase of some sort to redo. And this is major inspiration. What kind of paint did you use?

Maybe a smaller feather would look nice. Your painting is already really delicate looking. : ) Looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps.
Will happily swap for mushroom items.
And will take requests.
<3
Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010 02:24:35 AM »

Hey! Sorry its taken me so long to reply... school really gets in the way of my hobbies (stupid school, is it really that necessary anyways?)

Anywho...CraftySton er, as far as the paint I spray painted it first with a primer made for plastics (I wasn't sure what the suitecase was made of, but I figured the plastic paint would work-which it did  Wink YAY) Then for the color, I just painted with the ghetto acrylic paint from WallyWorld (aka Walmart). I think its really like Plaid paint or something, but I just liked the color. Then I sealed the ever-living crap out of it with Matte sealer by Modge-Podge. I think I ended up sealing it like 4-5 times, letting it dry completely between each coat. So far, its held up well with no damage (but I haven't been throwing down fights of stairs or anything crazy  Tongue)

Lewre, thank you! And yeah, I'm a little obsessed with the color of my walls now  Grin Also, you will be happy to know, I didn't add another feather... but I'm finishing up the larger matching suitcase and I'm going to incorporate the same feather detail as well as an actual peacock (since its much larger I figured I could get away with some extra awesomeness  Grin )

BonEsInspired and 6craftycats: I'm so happy I inspired you! I feel special! And BTW, as far as I'm aware of Ive never been wisted before! So I feel extra special! Thank you <3

Thanks again! If you have any questions, let me know (I will answer them faster this time-pinky promise Wink ) Also, as soon as I finish this little guys big brother I will post it as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beef and Noodles with Onion Gravy Recipe
Baked Bacon and Super Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Very Southern Cornsticks Recipe
Parmesan Chicken Casserole with Wild Rice Recipe
Simple and Tasty Salmon Cakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...