A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recommended Knitting Books  (Read 4030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenmelanzana

hearts sparkly smarts

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2005 02:32:28 PM »

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned before & I'm not going to get screamed at for posting this...

But I've taken all 5 knitting books out of my local library and all 2 from my college library and frankly, books from 1973, as cool as they are, aren't working for me anymore : D

I'm planning on investing in a few fun ones I've come across in my travels, but before I bought I thought I'd ask anyone here what they'd recommend!

I'm thinking about getting:
 "Debbie Bliss Toy Knits"
"The World of Knitted Toys" by Kath Dalmeny & Carolyn Clewer
"Zen & the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links between Knitting, Spirtuality, and Creativity" by Bernadette Murphy
(My therapist mentioned this one...haha, I recently read "The Knitting Sutra" it was...ok..)
"Weekend Knitting Projects" by Melanie Falick

Has anyone read any of these? Any luck? I was drawn to the weekend one because I saw a pattern for argyle knitted slipper/clogs...I thought that was great!!!

Of course, I own both SnB books : D

Thanks in advance!!!

Happy Knitting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a strange little blog

http://frenchtoastcake.typepad.com
Horse Power
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005 03:46:19 PM »

I love World of Knitted Toys! It's the first knitting book I've actually gone out and bought instead of just getting from the library. I've made two projects from it and am busy on the third.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

francie pants
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005 04:13:23 PM »

so far, i think i've been most in love with the last minute gifts book when it comes to projects.  i still can't believe how many modern knitting books i found at my library.  good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005 07:01:19 PM »

I have checked out Weekend Knitting from the library as well, and I really like what I see.  I've only done the one mitten pattern so far, but it's got a good variety of projects.

The ones I've been looking at lately are:

'Ponchos and Wraps:  A Knitter's Dozen' and 'Socks, Socks, Socks'  publisted by XrX books.  I flipped through 'Bags:  A Knitters Dozen' at the bookstore as well, but haven't bought it yet and it looks just as fun.  I'm not really hot on ponchos, but the poncho book has some nice wraps, shrugs, and shawls in it as well, plus some ponchos I would consider making or wearing *shock*  I think I'm going to save up and eventually buy these at some point in the future.

'Knit Socks!'  by Betsy McCarthy (it's the sock-shaped book).  I bought this one.  Not too expensive, and has fun patterns that aren't too difficult.  It's helped me actually finish my first sock in the past couple of weeks.  It has patterns for worsted weight yarn as well, which I appreciated.

I've also read part of 'The Joy of Knitting' and it's not bad so far.  It was sort of my "knitting philosophy" break from pattern books.  I got an idea for a scarf out of that poncho book to use up some stash, though, so it's been on the floor somewhere while I get ready to work on yet another project. 

I did read 'Beyond Stich & Bitch' by Afi Scruggs all the way through last weekend, another knitting essay book and a quick read.  Thank goodness for the library right now.

I've been reading good things about the new 'Loop D Loop' book as well, but haven't gotten a good long look at it yet.   The patterns look extremely stylish and fun to work.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005 07:58:29 PM »

I have "Great Knitted Gifts" by Shackleton & Shackleton and it's really cool if you like intarsia.  The  patterns in it are mostly kind of geometric and very pretty.  Plus the photography in the book is just gorgeous, and looking at the pictures is half the fun of a knitting book anyway. 

I also have the "Knit Socks" book and I really like it a lot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pansymouse
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005 04:01:45 AM »

Loop-d-Loop by Tava Durham is must if you like knitting funky edgy patterns.  Personally I've been waiting years for a book like this to come along and hope Tava is busy writing another one  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 04:12:08 AM »

I really like Hip to Knit and Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005 08:35:16 AM »

When I was first learning, a friend lent me a copy of Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English and Gail Selfridge's Sweater Design Workbook .
They explained lots of things & helped me understand how the needles & yarn work together & how to read patterns even when they're bad. Early on they freed me from having to follow patterns & create my own stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005 10:21:42 AM »

My top 3 are:

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts - I've made more items from this book than any other in my collection

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques - a handy reference book

Knitting from the Top - helped me to understand construction and design techniques
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
awtrlilee
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005 02:54:56 PM »

gotta have the good ol' stand-bys-the SNB books are what inspired me to learn and great at helping me to understand-

Handknit Holidays-my friend just got this and it is beautiful!  Also, other pretty ones are the Last Minute Knitted Gifts, (I want that one so bad!!) Hollywood Knits by the Suss yarns lady-i'm a geek that way but the pics are lovely-don't have any idea about the level of experience of the patterns...

I could go on for days about great books, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chic Women on The Streets of New York
Skinny Jeans Options
Straight Jeans Options
Flare Jeans Options
How to Create a Chic 70s Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...