A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Team Fortress Cosplay (super duper picture flabbity)  (Read 2518 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kochopia

Sir Rexford Buttonworth III

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2010 07:56:10 PM »

[DISCLAIMER... this is a long and rambling post and I really don't feel like proofreading it so bear with me please]

So I've been debating on whether or not I should post this up...but I might as well...

I live in Connecticut and every year there is an anime/videogame/nerd convention called Connecticon. Last year I went and was totally enthralled by the steampunk panels that were going on, and I got an idea in my head for an amazing mash up of two different things. For the past year this idea has been pooting around in my head, and unlike many other ideas that I tend to have...I ACTUALLY went through with it!!

I give you....STEAM FORTRESS 2!!!

here we have...the spy, engineer, and pyro....

Unfortunately I dont have many pictures of the boys stuff...but I made the tail coat...painted the mask, and made the briefcase the spy is carrying.

The dispenser (the big thing standing up next to the guy in the middle, is made out of a cardboard sheet with a bunch of bits and bobs glued to it. I painted the bubbling thing, and the red...the white circle is actually a push light ...but I glued green cello paper to the inside and glued a bunch of gears to that, so when it is turned on, it glows green and has a silhouette of a bunch of gears.

I sewed the apron for the Engineer, though he made the hat himself. The spy's gun is a modified airsoft revolver....very modified as you can see.

Here we have the pyro outfit (which is me). I bought a one piece mechanics suit offline, cut off one of the sleeves and sewed in a RED one and took in the legs about 293472397 inches. The collar is modified, and I tore out all of the zippers (except the one to keep it on  Smiley  ) and covered the pockets with leather taken from a purse bought at a thrift shop. There is a chain made out of pieces of a belt and purse strap...just as an added detail...

Here's a close up of the collar and chain around the neck.

The thing I'm holding is a "flame thrower"

It is made out of plumbing tubes, pvc piping, a hose nozzle, scrap leather, a water jug and a bunch of other plastic bits.

The head is actually a clorox wipes container cut into the shape, painted, and glued over a plastic solo cup spray painted dark hammered metal gray.

I also made an ax out of an ax handle, chipboard, and lots and lots of tape...

The ax...sheath...holster...carrying thingy...is made out of a cardboard postertube sawed in half and spraypainted black, silver, and grey with "rust" hand painted onto it... the leather bands and strap are actual purse straps from one of the many purses I dismembered.

AND FINALLY... here is a few close up shots of the briefcase...(the intelligence) that the spy is carrying.

It was made out of a puzzle box that looked like an old suitcase...I painted the whole thing blue, embossed swirlies and a BLU symbol onto it and painted over it all with a blue and black wash of paint...then glued a few decorations onto it...a magnifying glass...and some watch parts and called it a day...

For reference to those who do not know who these characters are, here are some pictures of the real, non-steampunked versions...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010 06:37:00 AM »

Great job!  I like all the accessories.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011 08:30:53 PM »

It's all pretty cool! Neat idea on making the push light glow green with gears, and I love the spy's briefcase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code CRAFTSTER for 10%
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Bremmer on His Book Every Nation For Itself in a G-Zero World
Sequels: Do You Need to Read the First Book?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...