A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,478
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fantasy-Dragon Themed Altered Puzzle  (Read 3105 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_puzzle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 28, 2010 12:32:25 PM »

I was inspired by some of the other posts I had seen on the board regarding altered puzzles and so I put myself to work creating a fantasy or dragon themed piece of art.

I had a brand new Hello Kitty puzzle that I had bought for someone but never ended up mailing it out and though I would be able to use it to make an altered puzzle. First off - this puzzle was a hundred pieces. I do not recommend using a 100 piece puzzle when you're going to alter it - it was sooooo time consuming and rather tedious.

What I did was take one of my husbands old day calendars (the kind you keep on your desk at work and tear off each sheet every day). This one was from 2008 and it had been sitting in my craft room begging to be used - so what I did was take each puzzle piece, one by one, and trace onto the calendar sheet, cut out the puzzle piece shape and the glue (just a glue stick) directly onto poor Hello Kitty.

From there it took me a couple days to do all of them (again - 100 - VERY tedious) and when I was done, I started putting the puzzle together. This was probably the hardest part, as I had to do the puzzle blank cardboard side up (white side up).

I should also mention that I began by trimming the edges of each puzzle piece with a fine tipped Xacto knife, but - sharp though it was - it was making a mess of the edges of the designed paper (which is about the thickness of very thin magazine pages). So I ended up leaving all but about 3 of them without trimming and it actually worked out absolutely perfectly.

Because the paper was so thin, as I pushed them into place, backwards, the paper folded around the edges and tightly sealed each piece together.

Once it was put together, I used Weldbond glue (probably the best white glue you can get out there, imho) to glue the puzzle art onto a canvas I had painted black so that I can hang it up in our dragon-themed kitchen.

From there I let it dry for a couple of hours and then used some Delta Creamcoat Gloss Interior Varnish, two coats.

I was a little disappointed that the varnish made the images on the puzzles wrinkle - though it does give it a more 3D look - I think it will look great on the wall as soon as the rest of the varnish dries.

So I've ended up with a very sporadic dragon collage made out of puzzle pieces. My husband, when asked what he thought of it said: "It's interesting"  lol - so I'm not sure what he really thinks of it (he's the dragon fan)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iluvsparklies
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010 05:19:02 AM »

You've done a great job; thanks for sharing your techniques.  I've been wanting to do something with a puzzle.  I keep looking at garage sales, but the only puzzles I've found so far are over 1000 pieces.  I'm really not up for that much punishment! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog! Smiley Thursday's Child
And some of my art.... PBase
beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 02:30:45 PM »

100 pieces!! Wow!! It looks awesome though, I love dragons  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010 08:12:06 PM »

wow! that is really cool! I suggest if you wanna make another one try going to the dollar store, they usually have "kid" puzzles you can re-purpose that are way under 100 pieces  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StickerChic87
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010 09:53:17 PM »

Very nice!

I found the same regarding the trimming- I trimmed my first few pieces but it was making them ragged, so I just started putting them together and they've been holding together nicely.

Aaaaand, I have the same idea with my husbands old day calenders-his are Star Wars so that could be cool.

For anyone looking for puzzles- my mom and I have been buying ours at WalMart, 25 piece kids puzzles for only $2.00! Can't beat that. (I actually have not been able to find any at our local dollar stores.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Takeout: Geometric Patterns
Street Style: FiDi Street Style From Kids to Christian Louboutin
Street Style: Did We Catch You Holiday Shopping?
Street Seen: Anna Dello Russo H&M Takeover
Shop Around: Maison Kitsuné
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...