A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to jewellery making - where to start?  (Read 1292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cloud786
« on: July 28, 2010 04:36:19 AM »

Hi all,

New to the forums and im sure the first of many questions.
ive been the the jewellery industry for a few years manily selling at retail online and ofline.
I want to take my business to the next level and sell my own jewellery but i have no idea where to begin creating my own designs.

So, what do you guys recommend.  Is there any books/sites/course you can point me to that will teach a complete newbie how to make jewellery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impossible is nothing!

White Gold Heart
StringingFool
Everything goes better with beads.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010 05:57:19 PM »

Hello cloud.

I must admit that your question gave me pause. I think you will find that many of us on this forum have the opposite problem. We are bubbling over with ideas, and sell our work as an outlet so that a)we can finance more projects, b) our houses don't fill up with more jewelry projects than we will ever wear, or give as gifts.

Along the way, we pick up more business acumen, but that is how many of us start.

Now, if you really feel an urge to create, pick the items you most like to wear, or see others wear, and go to your public library, a book store, or look online or in craft shops for books and tutorials that will help you learn to make that item. Gather some supplies, and see where you go from there. If there is a skill you need to learn, some colleges have courses that may be useful to you, or check out bead shops, craft store, or even videos to learn to do that skill.

Take your time, and learn to do it right before you even think about selling anything. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
MTLwordsmith
Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

Entrepreneur, Writer and Crafter in MTL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010 02:47:45 PM »

How challenging!

You obviously have the business sense to be making a success of jewelry selling - are you looking into new things to try?

For designing - when I'm stuck I take out old pieces that I like and see if I can alter them or modify them so they're new.

Also - there are a lot of sellers on Etsy who make and sell kits to help folks learn new skills and styles.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the Purple Cow
-Seth Godin
craftzeeLucy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010 01:45:31 AM »

I'm not sure if I understanded you correctly, but if I did then I hope this answer will help...

So, as I understood, you have no experience in making any kind of jewellery and the only reason you want to sell your own jewellery is because you have some experience in selling it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't make a bright future for you.

Reason is simple. True designers are the one inspired by something and that inspiration brings creativity and idea which then can be realised.

There are tons of different jewellery that can be made, materials to choose from and techniques to learn. Beads, metal, leather, gold, silver, chainmail, fimo, glass, ceramic... The list is very long. So your decision to make your own jewellery is not enough.

If you are really willing to try, first you have to start by choosing material that you want to make jewellery with. For example, if you choose beads, google out tutorials on beading and start with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be creative, be craftzee

http://craftzee.blogspot.com/
TheMuseFactory
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010 08:25:43 AM »

OK, I am assuming that you love the things that you carry in your shop and want to create something that would go along with that, just with your signature?

I went to your website, and you'd need to be an experienced metalsmith to be able to create those kind of designs. The only thing I can think that could be similar would be PMC (precious metal clay). I would suggest that you google PMC and see if you like the kinds of things that you are seeing? Many sites offer PMC kits.

I hope this helps.

If you're looking to do something totally different, then I would suggest as the others have said, look to find what kind of style you'd be interested in doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandora520
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010 11:23:09 PM »

im new to the forum ,lucky for looking at your post ,I think making jewellery need a lot of inspiration.if you are looking for some books about making jewellery ,you can search the key word in google ,good luck !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010 08:36:11 AM »

I agree with many who've said there are so many materials to make "jewelry" from and so many styles of jewelry, not to mention degrees of excellence in "finishing" techniques, that it's really to make suggestions about where to start.

As mentioned, if you want to make jewelry like the pieces on your site you'd have to become a "fine jeweler" with lots of equipment.  Or you could make other metal jewelry that's not as refined by becoming a metalsmith (and lots of people do that) or by using one of the metal clays (like Precious Metal Clay, etc.).
Check out these sites for the metalsmithing and PMC so you'll get an idea of those:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm (click on the category Metal Clays near bottom of list)
http://cs.artjewelrymag.com/artcs/forums/23.aspx ... and all their "Making Jewelry" forums: http://cs.artjewelrymag.com/artcs/forums
And of course, there's loads online and in books and classes.

Actually though, anything that can be attached or hung from chains, cords, or other findings will be "jewelry," so just a few other possibilities besides metals would be glass (especially lampwork), polymer clay, air-dry clays, wood, gems, stone, shrink plastic, leather, paper, found objects, etc., etc.

Diane B.

P.S.  You may be interested in the page at my site on working with wire and the tools/etc needed (to make your own findings, or to make some kinds or parts of "jewelry")...lots of good links there too:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/wire.htm

And if you're interested in polymer clay (which btw can be made to look just like metals, wood, glass, gems, stone, etc., etc) check out at least the 4 main beads/jewelry pages at my site too, and also the fauxs pages (esp. Fauxs-Many):
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
(look down for the beads/jewelry in light purplish-pink, and the fauxs in light brown...or just use the alphabetical navigation bar once you see the "names" of the pages)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010 08:37:41 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kristen Stewart Goes From Sexy To Modest In A Day
Fashion Trends: All About The Boots
How to Refresh Your Office Look for Winter
VIBE VIXEN Style Profile: Keeping Skirts Relevant This Fall
How to Take on the Printed Suit Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...