A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted Rainbow Messenger Bag  (Read 1273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 27, 2010 07:22:25 PM »

Backstory: So, my best friend's sister is gay. Wewt, right? Lol, well I wanted to make her something special to take to Pride this year. Unfortunately I didn't get it finished before she left but she finally got it a couple weeks ago and I'm just getting around to posting pics for it. He tells me she absolutely loves it and says she's going to wear it everywhere.  Cheesy <3

I used this pattern on ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spork-a-knitted-felted-courier-bag but I admit to having some problems with it. Granted, this is my FIRST EVER knitted piece (first felted too) so maybe I read the instructions wrong or something but my finished main piece was way smaller than it was supposed to be? This is why I didn't get it finished in time for Pride because I had to knit up a completely new section to add to the bag. The black flap is the extra bit I had to add. Also, the interior gusset piece wasn't long enough and one side ended up puckering after being felted. Sooo yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. But it's done and I'm mostly pleased with it and she loves it so that's all that matters right?

I also included some flip flops with the rainbow peace sign fabric and a small coin purse I crocheted and lined with the leftover fabric.

Pattern for crochet coin purse: http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/rainbow-crochet-zipped-coin-purse-tutorial/

But enough rambling, on with the pics! In progress (apologies for the somewhat crappy cell phone pics):

All the materials laid out on the bed:

The rainbow sheep (not the black sheep... lol). This is just a lame button from Wally World that I snazzed up with some paint markers and a coat of clear nail polish to seal it.

The knitty gritty:

Assembled, before felting:

The finished product!

Please excuse the PJs, I just wanted a quick shot to show size. It's a little larger than a typical purse but smaller than your typical messenger bag. I can fit a few books and some spirals in there and probably my Dell laptop but it's not really a "schoolbag" by any means.

I love this little guy... he's too cute. <3

The interior:

Detailed shot of the female/female symbol I halfway "embroidered" onto the key fob. It's a tough call to choose this or the rainbow sheep as my fav detail... lol.

But anywho... that's all of it. OH! Almost forgot the flip flops and coin purse:

Now, that's all of it. C&C welcome!  Grin  Grin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010 07:23:16 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010 07:29:59 PM »

Oh wow, that's awesome! You really went all out with the accessories. I love the coin purse. ^^ Anyway congrats on it being your first knitted piece, it turned out really well.

Mmm, rainbow overload...<3 I'm glad your friend's sister likes it, it's pretty rad. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist: here
Blog: Oh, Purl-ease.

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
Morri

Recently 'discovered' sewing machines

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010 11:22:59 PM »

That's a really fun and goodlooking combination. I especially like the little sheep Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently 'discovered' sewing machines and now I am addicted. I have been making clothes and bags and I want to try to make poppet sometime soon.
Eodril

Armed and Dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010 02:37:36 AM »

Nice work!  All the little details really make it special.  It turned out beautifully; it's hard to believe it's your first knitted AND FELTED(!) piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010 09:15:21 AM »

I can't believe this was you rfirst knitted piece! It's gorgeous!  I love the little rainbow sheepie. Wisted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Long Layered Hairstyles
How to Do Fancy Hairstyles
How to Do Red Carpet Hairstyles
How to Do Urban Hairstyles
How to Do Teased Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...