A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a good starter machine?  (Read 548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beargrylls
« on: July 27, 2010 05:01:54 PM »

my mother is looking to buy me a sewing machine as a birthday present, so i have been looking online at both singers and brothers (brothers are the main machine where i live whereas singers seem to be more american). i worked on singers growing up and never had any issues with them.

http://new.singerco.com/products/detail/2101

this is the machine that i am looking into at the moment.

or, any other suggestions?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
follie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010 06:16:06 PM »

I haven't tried that particular Singer, but don't get the Singer Tradition. Ugh. It has given me nothing but trouble since I got it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010 03:55:21 PM »

Get the best machine you can afford but be warned, the cheap machines (under $200) will be tempermental and difficult to sew.  If you have dealers nearby, visit them and bring fabric samples with you so that you can test-drive the various models.  If there are no dealers; avoid buying machines from bg box retailers, especially if you are a novice and have no one on which you can rely for advice. 

Brother makes some decent machines that are not too expensive and so does Janome. Singer's repuation is not good.  They traded in quality during the 1970s and made some awful machines that did not last more than a few years, however I am told they are trying to reclaim the market they lost and have begun to make some decent machines. 

Expect to pay at least $250.  Check online retailers like Allbrands.com.  I've bought three machines from them over the years and have been very satisfied with their price, customer service and quality.  PatternReview.com has some good advice about the experience people have had with various brands and models.  Consumer Reports magazine did an issue on sewing machines last year.  They recommended Brother, Babylock, Pfaff and Janome models. 

As a beginner, you don't need fancy embroidery or hundreds of stitches.  You need a reliable machine that is easy to thread, fill bobbins, and has good stitch formation. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Genius Thanksgiving Leftover Hacks
How To Make Thanksgiving Quinoa Stuffing
How to Make Thanksgiving Turkey With a Twist
5 Ways to Prepare Your Oven for Thanksgiving
Learn How to Spatchcock a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...