A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My head hurts. Rebuilding a loom  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brittles
« on: July 25, 2010 10:09:13 PM »

Howdy,

short version:
Does anyone have any experience with counter balance looms that don't have lams?

long version:
So recently I came into possession of what I THINK to be a counterbalance four harness floor loom. I think that because it doesn't have any of the rigging to be a jack or counter-marche loom. I scored this loom on the super cheap and one of the reasons for that, other than the owner didn't weave, was it's castle is missing. I've read through a bunch of articles and looked at some diagrams in books and think I am capable of building a new castle and a new counter-balance system with pulleys and nylon cording,
BUT
here is the confusing part, this loom has no lams, so I'm really concerned about how I am going to work the treadles and have them respond in a way that creates a nice shed without the pull from the treadles being centered in some way.

I learned how to weave on a jackloom so all of this is very, very new and confusing to me. Here is terrible cell phone picture of the loom in question

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010 10:10:04 PM by Brittles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShoelessJane
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010 02:57:08 PM »

The Loom Book, by Tim Reed (haha!) (http://www.amazon.com/Loom-Book-Tim-Reed/dp/068414073X%3FSubscriptionId%3D1NNRF7QZ418V218YP1R2%26tag%3Dbkfndr59-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D068414073X) (Amazon link because it has a photo, other online bookstores have it even cheaper)

It's complete instructions on how to build a 4H counterbalance loom from scratch.  You should be able to take the section on lam/pulley assembly, tweak the measurements to fit your loom, and build what you need.

Good luck--I only understand counterbalance looms in theory, I've never actually used/built one, though I'd like to and may someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julie Morgenstern Talks About SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
Full Dark, No Stars Book Trailer
Karen Katz Talks About Beddy-Bye, Baby
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Talks About The Devil is a Lie
Jennifer Weiner and Judith Light Talk About the Fly Away Home Audiobook
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...