A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: International Christmas Dinner Party - Planning Thread  (Read 720 times)
Tags for this thread: international , christmas , dinner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 08, 2012 09:12:17 AM »

I have an annual, themed Christmas dinner party (last themes: Classy, Creepy, Glam, Kitschy, and Candyland). This year, it's going to be "A Very International Christmas!" Likely there will be about 10-12 guests, all in their 20s.

In past Christmases, I had made a meat dish (ham or roast beef usually), a potato dish (usually mashed), and one "custom drink" and asked guests to fill in the rest, based on my organized list. Smiley I'm going to pull back a bit this year and just ask guests to pick a COUNTRY and a COURSE - and hope it all goes well (and I'll encourage everyone to be creative with countries and not choose the same ones as each other). Most of my friends are adventurous eaters.

I'll do a drink (Gluhwein, German hot mulled wine), and I think I'm doing Champ (like extra buttery mashed potatoes with green onions from Ireland), and some other main-ish course. Suggestions welcome, though I won't do Italy because I know a few of my guests will probably want to!

There will be a game of basically match the country to the custom (kind of silly, but should be fun). And probably a $5 or $10 random gift exchange, though I'm not sure if that should also be international themed.

I'm not sure of my colours or decor yet. I'm thinking I'll need some international flags somewhere (toothpicks? a bunting-type thing?), and maybe different areas with different themed things - like Chinese lanterns or Mexican luminarias. Though I don't have a huge home. . . hm. I've got a Pinterest board going: http://pinterest.com/psyche13/international-christmas/

But does anyone have any suggestions for decor, or anything else?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012 10:09:33 AM »

hmm.... well, chocolate was originally only made in drink form by the Aztecs (or was it the Mayans?) and I know that the ancient version of hot chocolate is making a resurgence.  That might be something interesting to try!

What about Thai food?  Or something from Down Under (vegamite, anyone)?  You could have a wide range of appetizers from other places just to give people a small taste of what might be unusual or acquired tastes, just for fun.  That way it's not a huge helping as part of the actual meal.  Just a thought.

As far as decor, I LOOOOOOVE the map stuff you have on your pinterest board!  I also really like the banners.  And if you find out from your guests in advance which countries they are going to choose, you can make sure that they are all represented in your decor.

I really like your themed Christmas dinner party idea!  How very fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: Technology Used for Seeing Beyond the Human Eye
How to Take Wedding Photos
How to Turn Art Concepts Into Projects
How to Strike Your Best Photo Pose
How to Take a Fashion Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...