A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Great Wedding Cake Adventure (Updated with pics of the actual wedding cake)  (Read 1651 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_cake , butter_cream  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KristyDi
« on: July 25, 2010 01:04:29 PM »

So my baby brother is getting married in 3 weeks.  2 weeks ago my sister and I were chatting with our awesome SIL to be and she told us that, because it was so expensive, she was going to forgo having a wedding cake.  Well, we couldn't let her go with out, so even though neither of us has ever done anything of the kind we volunteered to make her a wedding cake.  Shocked

She wants chocolate cake with raspberry filling and buttercream icing.

So first we made a test cake.  We made the top 2 tiers.  There wasn't quite enough batter so it's a little short.  And we were experimenting with the dots.  There is obviously room for improvement.  The taste was awesome though.  We used Smitten Kitchen's chocolate cake recipe.  It has both cinnamon and chocolate in it. We filled it with raspberry jam. Yum!

And we baked the whole thing for a wedding shower yesterday.  We learned a lot from this cake.  1. ribbon covers a multitude of cake sins. 2. bulging filling is a pain 3. coloring icing is a pain, thankfully the actual wedding cake will be white.
I think we may need to change the sizes of the tiers to get more difference between them.

Any advise, comments or suggestions would be welcome.

****UPDATE****

Well the wedding was this weekend and it was wonderful.

I was really happy with how the cake came out.  It gave me a few heart attacks, but was ok in the end.

First I want to that everyone for their encouragement and help.  The link to cake central was especially helpful.  I lurked around there quite a bit and learned a ton.

I torted each of the layers because the cake I made for the shower seemed to need more filling. I couldn't use jello in the filling because the bride is a vegetarian and dosen't eat gelatin, so we stuck with straight raspberry jam.  This is the top tier.  It's a 6" cake.  
Leveling is hard and the wilton leveler sucks.  I wound up mostly free-handing it with a big bread knife.

On the way to the wedding location the bottom tier slid about an inch off of it's cardboard.  It was crazy hot here and we tried to keep it cool, but I guess it warmed up a bit too much.  I tried to fix it, but was just damaging it so I gave up and called that side the back.  If you look you can see it in one of the pics.

These are quick pics taken with my phone.  There were flowers added to the top and a few to the side of each layer, but by that time I was running to change clothes and get my dd (a flower girl) dressed and ready, so I'll add pics w/ the flowers when someone e-mails them to me.

So here you go.

see the cardboard?

and the front

And the finished thing.  Pic stolen from my sister.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 07:22:22 AM by KristyDi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people juggle geese.  -Hoban Washburn
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010 01:12:06 PM »

They look good!  For the filling problem...try piping a ring of frosting around the edge of the cake before spreading the filling.  That way there is a barrier between the filling and the edges of the cake, so if there is any oozing it won't ruin your outside frosting job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KristyDi
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010 01:16:53 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  We did pipe a ring before filling with jam.  My suspion is than a lot of the jam soaked into the cake and so the layers got closer together, squishing out the icing we piped.  Next time  think we need to fill the cakes, then let the sit and settle for a few hours before frosting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010 02:39:15 PM »

This is a very nice cake, I think you've done a wonderful job.

I posted a picture not too long ago of the first wedding cake I ever made. I've since made many more cakes, though not wedding cakes.

Here are a few good tips...

When you ice your cakes there are a few ways to make them smooth. The first one is to use a 'crusting buttercream' recipe. After your icing crusts a bit you are supposed to take damp 'Viva' brand papertowls, place them on the cake and smooth the frosting with a fondant smoother.

The second is my favorite method. It's the one my mom uses for wedding cakes. Put on a crumb coat of icing, ice over that, and the place your tiers in the freezer. Leave them in just long enough to freeze the icing. Then take a new clean sponge, dip in hot hot water and squeeze out the water. Then wipe your frozen icing smooth. Dipping in water often enough to keep the sponge hot.
The hot sponge melts the icing just enough to make it very very smooth. This gives it that look that pro cakes, and cakes covered in fondant have. Then you can refreeze your iced cakes for a few more minutes to make sure your icing stays smooth.

Make sure if you are going to use colored buttercream with this method that you only use gel colors. Regular liquid food dye will bleed out of the frosting. I learned this the hard way, as evidenced by my first ever wedding cake.

This time is year, most craft stores have sugar flowers for cakes, Wal-Mart does as well. They are premade edible flowers, fairly cheap, nice looking. These cover up all sorts of things.

Fresh flowers are also your friend.

To pipe small things use sandwich bags that don't seal and just snip off once small corner. So much cheaper than buying huge amounts of icing bags if you don't have need for them again. You can also do this with a coupler and tips. If your bags split and break, your icing is too thick.

And my favorite, they sell these almost everywhere where you can buy cake supplies or order online. It runs about 10-12 bucks depending on the store.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Floral-Garland-Cutter-Ejector/dp/B0000VMBL0

I think I use mine to death. You roll out fondant, gumpaste, candy, etc. And then use the cutter like a cookie cutter, then press the flower into the cakeand push the plunger like a syringe. So very very very easy. Then you can pipe a dot of frosting in the middle. makes very nice tiny flowers that look like they came out of a bakery.

Hope your cake comes out lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010 02:47:52 PM »

Just noticed on the buldging icing issue.
Mine doesn't do this, and works nicely.

I use a mix of, fruit jam, fresh fruit and a little jello in the matching flavor. The jello makes the filling more stable without making it taste or feel like eating jello. You could also use unflavored packets or sheets.

I boil my fruit and jam together, shnapps and then add the gellatin last. Then I put it in the same cake pans I made the cakes in. I grease the pan with a drop of oil and a paper towel before adding the filling. When the filling cools it will firm just enough to tip out onto the cake without running everywhere. It won't completely firm up like a normal jello so if you do this be careful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
connielk
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010 05:00:40 PM »

It came out great for a first effort.  For ideas and tips you might look through the site:
www.cakecentral.com
Connie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010 05:09:16 PM »

Something I figured out the hard way, if you cut your single layers into two and put your ring of icing around the outside edge, don't make it too thick. Keeping the filling layer thinner and make more layers you won't have the buldging issue.

On the same idea as freezing the layer after it is iced, do the crumb coat, then put it in a freezer or very cold fridge. Then when you can tap the cake and the icing doesn't crack, do your finish coat. Put it back in to refreeze and harden again, then using  cheese cloth bunched up, dab the icing to give it a textured effect.

If you can get violets or pansys, lightly coat them with beaten egg whites using a small artist brush then dust them with ultra fine sugar. They are edible and taste much better than royal icing flowers that taste horrible! lol

Good luck!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KristyDi
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010 06:25:27 PM »

Update in the first post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
How to Make Crispy Chocolate Hearts
How to Make a Nutty Marshmallow Rocky Road Cake
How to Make Heart-Shaped Marshmallows
Deserts for Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...