A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress help needed!  (Read 758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pendrian
« on: July 25, 2010 06:13:29 AM »

Okay so I recently found a dress at Le Chateau that I am in LOVE with...but entirely can't afford. Stupid school...

Anyways I was hoping to make it, or at least something similar, and was hoping that someone could give me some guidance or suggestions? Mostly I'm wondering what kind of fabric would be easiest and still formal, how best to go about the ruching, and how to do the neckline...any help would be SO appreciated!!

Here's a picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010 05:04:37 PM »

The fabric is panne velvet, which is a knit, formal, and pretty easy to work with. This is probably draped over a fitted woven underdress.

Panne velvet has a nap, which means it changes shade slightly as the light hits it. MAKE SURE that you cut all the pieces with the nap running the same way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010 09:23:43 AM »

If you look at the close up on the website, it actually looks more like a satin than a velvet.  Crepe back satin isn't a joy to work with, but if you go slowly and pin a lot, it's not bad at all.  I agree, though, that you should drape the whole thing over a fitted woven lining.

You could start with a pattern for a fitted tank dress.  You want to slash and spread the neckline like you would for a cowl neck, more or less, and add length uniformly.  I'd double the length of the original pattern, so that you have plenty of leeway for your ruching and pleats.  I'd go for a darted tank dress (rather than princess seams or other shaping) and just omit the darts in the fashion fabric, because your shaping will come from picking up the fabric.  Definitely, definitely do a mock-up, and mark it up to use as your final pattern.  If you don't have a dress form, check out the duct tape tutorials.  It'll be your best friend, rather than trying to do this flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
pendrian
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010 03:47:05 PM »

thanks so much guys! I'm gonna head out this week and see if i can find a fabric I am happy with...if so I'm gonna tackle this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Crafting Contagious Content with Emotions
Crafting Contagious Content with Stories
How Ayana Mathis Creates Characters With Soul
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...