A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need advice on a wedding dress...  (Read 1291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RazorBladeSmile
effin' classy.

O.O me and the boy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 23, 2010 03:32:31 PM »

Hello fellow craftsters. I have a question regarding a wedding dress, me and the boy are finally "tying the knot" Aug. 28th, so I am in a mad dash to get a new dress since I bought the 700.00 one 2 years ago I have gained wayyyy too much to fit in the sucker, we are on a budget and we are getting married in a Vegas style chapel I decided instead of getting the other one altered since it's all fancy I'd just get a new one that is simple and within reason.

Here is the dress:

The problem? I am a big girl, like a size 24 big girl..

The question(s)
1. Would a-line look good on a bigger body?
2. Do you think there is any breathing room in the hip area for my lower stomach?
anddd
3. Do you think the lower pudge will stick out so bad it will look like I have a tube of sausage in my dress?  Cheesy

By the sizing chart my body must be really odd shaped because my bust would fit a size 20 dress, my waist a 22 and get ready for it...my hips a 26 ( I am 2 inches too big for a 24) Would shapeware take off 2 inches? It's not so much that my hips are wide I just have a HUGE lower tum  (not grotesquely huge). So regardless I am going to need altering on the upper part of the dress because I am going to have to buy a size 26 if I settle on this sucker the bust and waist will be way to big. Couldn't I just buy some saftey pins and pin the extra 6 inch bust evenly (like 3 inches on one side and 3 on the other) under my arms? 

Please be brutally honest, trust me you won't hurt my feelings. I just want honest input... After all I don't want to look like the stay puft marsmallow man or waste my money  Cheesy

Thanks in advance  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally made a wist... It's pretty dweeby! http://www.wists.com/p1nkbunn13

Working on my crafty blog! <3
http://randomtwinkles.blogspot.com
QuietChampion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010 07:46:28 PM »

I find the "flattery" of a dress has more to do with the shape of your body, not the size. I have met many plus-sized women with hourglass figures, and damn near everything looks good on them.

Actually, A-Line dresses are renowned for looking good on every figure. They're the go-to for all shapes and sizes.

A-line dresses, in my opinion, look best on pear-shaped women-- girls with soft wide hips who are proportionately smaller up top. The cut of this dress would draw attention to your shoulders. Improperly tailored, it might also pinch your skin in front of and below your arms, causing you to look heavier than you are. In case of emergency or in the interest of modesty (if you're the modest type) consider acquiring a drapey, gauzy, elegant shawl to cover up.

If you're an apple-shaped woman-- if your widest point is your middle, not your hips or your shoulder/bust, do not despair. You likely have lovely legs. Consider bringing the dress up to tea length (upper calves) to show them off and get people's attention where it is most flattering for you.

Here's the important bit: don't fuss over perceived flaws. Find your best feature and flaunt it with your dress alterations, and you'll look fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RazorBladeSmile
effin' classy.

O.O me and the boy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 09:03:30 PM »

Smiley Thank you, for your wonderful advice, I feel a whole lot better with my purchase. I am very much pear shaped I read on a site that if your hips are wider than your shoulders a-line, trumpet, and empire cut dresses would be best. With empire cuts I think it universally makes women look pregnant, and I just dislike trumpet. I was just worried about the impact of the pudge I have on my tum, the top of the dress is kinda ruched so it would camouflage the upper, and the cascade coming of the waist will drawl away from any other slight bulges, the dress comes with a satin sash for extra coverage.

Thanks again  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally made a wist... It's pretty dweeby! http://www.wists.com/p1nkbunn13

Working on my crafty blog! <3
http://randomtwinkles.blogspot.com
mansonette
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 10:11:12 PM »

I have pretty much the same kind of body shape.  My stomach is bigger below my belly button than above (I absolutely hate it).  When I got married my dress was flatter in the front so I was afraid of the same problem of my 'bulge' showing.  I splurged just a little and got Spanx from Lane Bryant (the ones that you wear over your underwear that come to about your knees and the top comes up right under your bra).  I think that helped a lot.  I wanted to get a size smaller than I needed to try to suck more in, but didn't based on the recommendation of the lady at the counter.  I'm glad I listed to her.  If you get one of those it will smooth you out so the dress will flow better over your body.

Good luck!!  Please post pictures of you in your dress when you things together.  I'm sure we'd all love to see!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CoanTeen
Witch who Walks without Feet

Searching for my own "Golden Path"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010 06:48:32 AM »

I agree with the other posters about the cut, i think it flatters everyone, esp when cut correctly. My worry would be on the drape, as this is mean to draw people eyes to that spot, which may be unflattering. But I think if you move the drape lower so it rode across the widest part of your hips, use it make your hips appear wide, and use princess seams to give the illusion of a slimmer middle. I have a plus sized friend I sew for alot, and I move lines like the drape either directly under her bust line, or, on the widest part of her hips. You want to accentuate what you have, and trick the eyes into seeing the things you don't. I hope that makes sense. ^^
Congrats on getting married! just got engaged myself! good luck on making your dress! Can't wait to see it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek chic, Gamer Gorgeous, Punk Pretty, Angry Beautiful.
You want it? I Made it!
www.ShinshayOriginals.com

Wist- http://www.wists.com/Coanteen

Need crocheted hats, Will sew anything for you if you can make me hats!
x46
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010 10:00:07 PM »

I really like your choice.  It has a raised waist, diagonal gathers and a drape which, to me, all work for your size and body shape.  I'm a not exactly petite pear too, and the only worry I'd have with this dress is that there was sufficient boning in the bodice to keep it securely up.  It's a great dress, one you won't shudder at in 10 years when you look at your wedding photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Opening a Photoshop File in Fireworks
Extreme Website Makeover - Altering Some Design Issues in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Tidying Up Photoshop® and Saving Your Project
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Blend Modes to Add Graphic Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...