A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black, teal, and copper Steampunky Fun!  (Read 15335 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , costume , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violyns
where do we go from here?

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2010 09:20:00 AM »

This is my first foray into Steampunk wear.  I dreamed up this costume last year.  I had received a great pair of boots as a gift 2 years ago, and the entire outfit is based on those boots.

First, the boots:

And my sketch

I had bought several yards of a great teal/copper taffeta for curtains that I never ended up using, so I decided to make that part of this outfit.  I loved the copper idea, so I added that as my accent, along with black as the other main color.  Over the next few months, I sniffed out sales and coupons to purchase the other fabrics for my costume.  I bought a heavy-weight taffeta for the skirt portion, and a lighter-weight taffeta for the bodice.  I found a white sheer that I tea-dyed to make off-white.  And, I began the search for fun copper accents.

I decided that I wanted this to be steampunk without gears and goggles.  Even though I love both of those things, I am a bit out there, so to speak.  So, the gears would be replaced by chains and the goggles, glasses.  My mother found a great pair of old bifocals that looked very copper, so I thought I could use those.  I wanted to tint them green, but discovered that Id have to replace the lenses, so I figured I could wait for that another time and wear them as-is.

My mother was very inspired by this project, so she said shed make me wristlets and a beaded bag to carry my glasses when I wasnt wearing them.  So, I requested that the wristlets be very fine and clean in an off-white and have a row of buttons on the side (to match the boots).  She came up with some beautiful wristlets that I just adore.

The beaded bag was a challenge, but very fun.  She asked for some ideas on design, so I suggested a nice swirl.  She went from there.  Shes an accomplished beader, but had never made her own pattern.  I was blown away.  Its very beautiful in person and feels really nice.

So, onto the actual outfit.  I had some Truly Victorian patterns on hand, so I used a few of those and purchased a few more to round out the outfit.  The first thing I made was the corset to create the base.  This is the Truly Victorian pattern 110.  I made it with white rose brocade and white twill with spring steel boning.  I was extremely happy with the pattern and with the corset itself.  I recommend the pattern to any sewer!

After that, I gave the shirt a try.  I had a Simplicity pattern (3684) that I thought I could alter.  I really liked view B, but decided to lengthen the sleeve bands a bit and pleat the front panels like a tux shirt.  So, I got to pleating and built the top.  But, as you can see, according to my sketch, I wanted the top to completely close up to the throat, and I failed to recognize that the pattern was not designed to do that.  So, after I had made it, I realized that there was no way it could possibly fit around my neck.  So, some altering had to happen, or I had to make it all over again.  I decided to try the altering.  I added two panels on each side of the front and lengthened the neck band.  After doing those two things, the shirt fit perfectly, so no re-do necessary.  I found some great buttons at JoAnns (of all places) and put a row of buttons down the front and a row of beads on the sleeves.

Next, the skirt and over skirt.  Now, just a side note, I wanted to make sure that my steampunk was not attached to any age or time period, so I wasnt too concerned with mixing eras.  So, my skirt and overskirt are miles apart in time period, but they work really well together in my head.  For the skirt, I used Truly Victorian pattern 291, the Walking Skirt pattern.  I knew I wanted the skirt to be shorter (to show off the boots), so I had to alter it only in that way.  The rest of the skirt is as the pattern says (except for the trim).  I lined it in copper taffeta for fun.  The pleated detail around the bottom was more experimental for me, but I think it turned out lovely and Im really pleased with how it looks.  The overskirt is Truly Victorian 303.  Can I just say right now how much I love this overskirt?  Im so happy I bought the pattern.  I was going to just wing it, but decided at the last minute to purchase it.  I think its one of the best things I did for myself.  Im in love with it and didnt alter the pattern one bit.

(in progress)

(in progress)

But, to make the skirt work, I needed a petticoat.  So, I took the same altered pattern I used for the skirt and, using that, devised a similar pattern for a petticoat.  I made miles of ruffles and attached one row at the hem and several rows at the back.  I had never done any ruffling before and was thankful for a suggestion by my mother to zigzag over a strong thread and use that to ruffle.  So, the petticoat was born.

The bodice was going to be the hard part.  I decided to use my corset pattern again and do the altering suggested on the TV forums to make it higher in front.  I deviated from my sketch a bit here to make the neckline a sweetheart to give the top a less severe look.  The top was lined in the same teal taffeta and with twill to make it stronger.

The bodice can be worn alone, as it is fully supported with spiral steel.  I did wear the white corset under this particular bodice so the ribbon lacing would not be too taxed.  I tried to find copper colored ribbon, but was disappointed in the colors offered.  So, I ended up settling for black, but will keep my eye out for properly colored ribbon.

(wrong color!)

To make the strips across the front, I covered heavy fusible interfacing with my taffeta, then sewed the buttons through the strips onto the bodice.  They are held on by only the buttons, so they can stretch with the bodice if necessary.  The chaining is attached through the grommets in the back with jump rings and under each button with a jump ring.  The small copper purse is attached with a small strip of fabric to the back of the bodice.

My underclothes consisted of an altered tank top (top removed to make a tube top), purchased black patterned tights, and bloomers.  I used Colettes free mini bloomers pattern, making it with my teal taffeta and some of the copper ribbon.  I think theyre adorable, but my husband says theyre granny panties. 

I found a fun bowler hat on clearance ($4!) at Target and covered the black ribbon detail with my taffeta and a copper accent.  The feathers, I left intact.  I will probably get a different hat in the future, but it worked for the time being.

Finally, I needed someplace to keep my ID and money, so my mother dug up an old purse of my great-grandmothers.  I made a sheath for my belt with Velcro to hold the purse strap so I wouldnt damage the purse.  It sat at my hip.  My mothers beaded bag was tied to the belt with some of the copper ribbon I found.

(the purse itself)

So, I had a great time working on my steampunked outfit.  Here I am in my final project at the event I attended.

(taken by my friend, Bren ... lookit my undies!)

This is a trial run of the costume before leaving, and it shows my husband's creativity with the lacing.  It didn't work too hot, but it gives you an idea of the back:

All my costuming adventures have one goal in mind, to be made as cheaply as possible.  This one stretched the budget a bit, but I was able to keep it fairly low, considering.  Anyway, I had a fantastic time making it and wearing it.  The rest of my photos are in my flickr account.  Im not an expert seamstress for sure, but I can try to answer questions if there are any!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~mia
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010 09:35:35 AM »

Freaking AWESOME!!!  I'm with you on the "as-cheaply-as-possible" thing, I'm working on an Elizabethan Court gown and those can get pricey! 
Beautiful colors and fabrics.  It almost makes me want to delve into the world of steampunk next 9as if I don't have enough era-costuming that I'm interested in already)!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 09:53:35 AM »

I love this!  The bloomers are perfect, the chains and buttons and taffeta are great too, but my favorite part is the boots.  They are adorable!  Especially with such a great outfit and amazing tights.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 09:54:42 AM »

Oh. My. God. This is amazing!! I can't actually put into words how cool I think this is! Hit the this rocks button and wisted! Just Amazing! I wish I had your talent!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samantha_McKay
Artist, Siren, Immortal, Goddess, Mother, Wife, Geek, Writer

You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010 10:06:54 AM »

I love this!

I told my husband this week that rather than another sci-fi or renn faire costume I'm making the next one steampunk.

This is great inspiration, and thanks for posting the mini bloomers link. I'd use that anyway just because it's cute. I love things with a vintage feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helen Magnus: No killing!
Nikola Tesla: Said the woman with a gun to a vampire.

The Doctor: Shout if you get into trouble
River Song : Don't worry I'm quite the screamer.. now there's a spoiler for you .

http://wists.com/Samantha_McKay
SomethingWickedProduction
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010 10:08:56 AM »

This outfit looks so beautiful! I absolutely love your color choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybean89
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010 10:35:52 AM »

Your outfit is amazing! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010 11:34:15 AM »

This so completely ROCKS!!! I love everything! Its all exactly perfect! I am impressed with your ability to make all those purchased patterns fit your sketch!  I would love to know where those boots came from, they are fantastic! hmm.. was that enough exclamation points... well here's some more for good measure!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010 12:29:42 PM »

WOW!!!!!! I don't even know what else to say! Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010 01:05:48 PM »

Beautiful! You should be very proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Velma
How to Draw Vegeta
How to Draw Vaporeon
How to Draw Tyson Granger
How to Draw Tony Chopper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...