A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lye Alternative  (Read 3400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovieDovieAnn
« on: July 23, 2010 05:49:22 AM »

I have a son that is VERY active and curious. He's into everything all the time. And, due to suspected autism, he has no concept of danger. So telling him that the container of lye is dangerous and he shouldn't touch it wouldn't help a bit. I've had nightmares concerning this. Like, him suffocating to death because he inhaled lye. Morbid, I know. But all moms have that kind of dream now and again. Right? >.>

Anyway, I can't in good conscience bring lye into the house because it's such a danger to him. But I REALLY want to make goats milk soap. So my question is this: What's a good alternative to lye and how would I change my recipe accordingly? I don't want to use a premade or glycerin soap base because of cost and because I want to do this 100% from scratch. Is it even possible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010 06:15:01 AM »

I'm not a soap maker, but I think this question is addessed in the soap FAQ that is stickied at the top of the board. (The answer was that if you don't have lye, you don't have soap.) Maybe you could get some kind of locking file bin, safe, or cashbox to keep it in so your son can't get into it. If he's old enough to reach keys in a high place and unlock it, you could use a combination lock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 06:26:06 AM »

I'm such a bad Craftster. I didn't even read that first. >.<

Anyway, he's old enough to use keys and obsessed with numbers so neither type of lock is really secure enough. Perhaps I'll have to wait a few years.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 06:48:14 AM »

Yeah... I'm afraid Feast is right.  No lye, no soap.  Though if you're not opposed to MP (it doesn't have to be expensive!), your son might have fun making it with you!  It can be a fun family activity, and might fill your crafty needs until he's old enough to keep out of the lye. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010 01:43:58 PM »

I really would consider giving MP a try, you're still "making soap", just a bit differently Wink. I use the all natural goat milk soap from WSP and it's wonderful.

I do add stearic acid (I know "acid" can be a scary word, but do some research on this!), which I do recommend using in MP soap as I think it makes a longer lasting, better lathering bar. I will say that it should be melted before melting the soap, as it takes a bit to get it to melt, and it also gets quite hot. But it is not something that you're required to add! I also add olive oil and ground up oatmeal, and sometimes scented, sometimes not.

The only other thing I can suggest is find a friend or relative who is also interested in making soap, and make it over at their place when your son isn't there, as well as store the ingredients over there.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010 01:45:42 PM by noturavggeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010 02:06:21 PM »

I totally appreciate your cautiousness when it comes to your son and your new hobby..and lye should be respected..but I did want to say that you can have curious kids and make soap..

My kids both know to not come into my studio unless they ask permission..I think for us it just emphasizes boundaries and respect for my space..you could use some sort of container that has a symbol on it that will teach him that that container is off limits..

Also,though it's cheaper to buy huge quantities..I still buy smaller quantities that are in 2 pound containers..it just works better for us that way..

And remember it's like any other household chemical-bleach,oven cleaners,bathroom cleaners,etc..you keep that safely away from him..it's the same with lye..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010 09:23:58 PM »

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

As far as keeping it out of reach and teaching boundaries goes: Boundaries do not exist with my son. It's part of autism and one of the reasons we're having him tested for it. We can't keep oven cleaner, bleach (I'm allergic anyway), or anything that could potentially be toxic if swallowed in large amounts or he WILL drink it despite putting it away (read: locked in a cabinet and all with child-resistant packaging) and explaining 500 times that it's dangerous. Even our shampoos and conditioners are non-toxic. The only thing that I won't compromise on is soap, but he doesn't eat bar soap for some reason so we're good. >.< He'll be four in a month and still uses his mouth to identify objects for the most part. So, even if he didn't try to drink chemicals, I'd still have to steer clear those kinds of cleaners to avoid long term exposure to harmful chemicals. It's a strange way to live, but I'm getting used to it. : /

For now, we'll try MP. At least it'll be something. And if I put tons of yummy additives it'll be almost like making real soap. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010 10:03:52 PM »

What's 'non-toxic' shampoo???

BTW..you can buy unscented cold process soap from someone and rebatch it..it's similar to M&P soap but CP instead..then you can add your own goodies!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010 10:06:50 PM by smittenheart » THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Lindylu
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010 10:21:24 PM »

Keep in mind when making MP that you can add too much stuff so do some reading and invest in a high quality MP like noturavggeek  said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010 07:10:37 AM »

Actually it IS possible to make soap without lye. There is a method using ash water try to google it. It is more healtier than lye stuff anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 3 Back to School Hairstyles
How to Create a Grecian Updo Hairstyle
Triple Braided Hairstyle Tutorial for Medium-Length Hair
Signs You Need a New Stylist
How to Use a Diffuser to Style Frizz-Free Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...