A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 307,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red Clay Collection: Little House, Wheel Pieces, Plates, and an Octopus  (Read 2628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010 01:16:30 PM »

I took a beginning ceramics class the first semester of my senior year and loved it so much that I took the next class second semester. The class met two days a week for about an hour each day. By the end of the semester we had to complete 6 projects: a whistle or closed container made of 2 pinch pots, 2 wheel-thrown pieces, a slab rolled piece, a molded piece, and a coil piece. At the end of the semester I ended up with 13 completed pieces, all made of red clay. On to the eye candy.

I made a tiny cottage out of two pinch pots instead of a whistle. I worked on this for at least a month straight, including coming in on my off hours. I'm pretty happy with it, and my teacher must have been too, because she carted it around most of the year to different art shows. All those little tiny flowers took forever to make and glaze. The house is only 3 inches high without the roof pieces.

My first wheel-thrown piece. I carved out little squares and then glazed them green, but the glaze filled in the squares so you can't even tell I carved it. It's about 3 inches high.

I carved my second wheel piece to look like dripping paint and glazed it purple and a really dark blue. About the same size as the green and blue one.

Wheel-thrown and extensively trimmed. I applied the bow after. The studio ran out of white glaze so I had to paint the bow with acrylic paint after the piece was fired. I kind of like how the bow isn't shiny though.

An unfortunate accident that I would rather forget. I threw the bowl but then accidentally trimmed through the bottom. I made a saucer thing so I could use it for plants. I glazed the lower half in light green and then put dark green leaves on top, but something happened in the firing process that made it all look like one color.

Wheel-thrown and glazed with blue opalescent. Pretty self explanatory.

Wheel-thrown, but rather lopsided. I really liked the watermelon design but it developed a sad crack in the bottom in the kiln.

This is one of my favorite pieces of the bunch. Wheel-thrown and then trimmed to have a really narrow foot, which is unfortunately not visible. The dots and foot are a charcoal color, along with the bottom of the bowl on the inside. I really liked how the white flecks in the red clay showed up. It makes me want to eat ice cream out of it.

A test plate for a mold that I made, but the corner broke off. I wasn't going to glaze it at all but at the last minute covered it in an opalescent glaze called 'autumn leaf' that doesn't remind me of fall AT ALL.

Slab rolled and then molded on the mold I made with plywood and old baseboard. I cut slits in it and stamped flowers to make it look like eyelet lace. After it was fired I put the ribbon in. I wanted it to be white, but the lack of white glaze made pink the next best alternative.

Another molded plate. The background is charcoal because the black was all gone. Each of the circles also has a different texture. I really like this piece too.

Slab rolled with the lines applied to be raised. I want to hang it on a wall, but am afraid that it would break. Charcoal and black without transparent glaze.

This is Otis the Octopus, made out of really old polymer clay that was in my basement. I tried to make butterfly wings out of coils, but they fell apart. Since there weren't any firings left I made Otis at home and my teacher was nice enough to give me credit for him.

I miss ceramics so much. Sad
Comments and criticisms welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
jodilee
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010 01:29:35 PM »

Wow I love them especially the paint drip one and the little house but my fave is Otis.

I did a ceramics taster course and loved it and am always thinking of going and having another go.

Nice work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010 02:11:52 PM »

I love your houses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010 09:40:35 AM »

I really like the molded plates and the carved wheel thrown pieces!  Great job on it all.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...