A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh My! Mei Tai: Asian Baby Carrier (a bit pic hvy)  (Read 2537 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_carrier  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eat_My_Shorts

Dont threaten me with love, baby."

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2010 12:46:25 PM »

So my son who is 9 months loves to be worn (aka babywearing). He fights the stroller when it is not moving like he is being restrained in a straightjacket. I was all for wearing the Snugli on the front until he hit like 18 pounds and if I wanted to do anything like a normal person like dishes or eating, not happening. So I flipped the Snugli to the back. He loooved it. and so did I. He could just chill on mommy's back and I felt like I was just wearing a knapsack. So it was no problem. Until he hit like 21 pounds. Mind you the Snugli was not made to be reversed : ) So I was doing myself no good.

I knew baby wearing was nothing new or trendy, it was an ancient way of getting stuff done while you hold your kid. So I just threw him on my back the old fashioned way with a scarf and another to support his head when he fell asleep (African Style with the scarf tied above the breasts) It worked really good actually and my husband even tried it. In downtown Toronto on Young Street....but our son fell asleep no problem so whatevr. But after awile I found my back starting to ache. I came across the Asian Baby Carrier call a Mei Tai and exclaimed " Holy Crap that is just a rectangle with 4 ties coming out of it! I can make that." So i researched some tutorials and looked at youtube on how to tie one properly.

So 1 bed sheet, a little strong canvas and some decorative fabric later, I have a new best friend! 

Out with the old (Goodbye old friend)

In with the new!

My babe literally fell asleep 5 mins after going in. I take it as a good sign

Front

a bit closer (sorry about the toe)

Back

a bit closer

Closeup of Fabric (cranes)

Size

K so the top ties are long. Really long. Like I could climb down from the 2nd floor bedroom window long.

I wore it to the bank today and got some funny looks from a few mothers pushing strollers : )

Hope you all have a wonderful day,

All the best,

Wabe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010 01:13:59 PM »

neat Smiley probably a dumb question, but how do you get your baby into it on your back? does someone have to help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
EkkaGrrl
I'm normal.. the rest of you are crazy!

mmm.. fabric...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010 01:58:56 PM »

Vedry nice! Your little guy looks very comfy in it. I'm hoping to make myself one for the newest baby. I guess I should look for some tutorials on how to tie it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I completed my best craft project EVA!! 10 lb 2 oz baby Violet! Born at home in my own bed!! Smiley

Wisty Goodness!
http://wists.com/EkkaGrrl
udhillb
I live a knitting life, everything else is secondary. "Want to go out for a drink?" "Nope, sorry, I have a project at home that I'm close to finishing."

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010 02:34:31 PM »

That's freaking fantastic! My cousin had a baby carrier until her son outgrew it. He has cried and whined ever since, unless he's being held. It's her 4th so she can't really carry him around all the time. This would be a literally perfect idea!

I might make it for her! Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eat_My_Shorts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010 02:51:49 PM »

neat Smiley probably a dumb question, but how do you get your baby into it on your back? does someone have to help?

Lol no that is a good question actually. I tie the belt portion of the Mei Tai around my waist. Pick him up turn him facing the same way as me. Tilt him forward and put his legs on one of my shoulders so his legs are dangling on my upper back. Then I take his arms and slide him down my back WHILE I LEAN FORWARD at a 90 degree angle. That is very important. Not to stand straight but lean forward. Then while he is resting on my back I take the 2 straps and pull them over him, jiggle so he is secure and tie them as I please. If you got internet just youtube 'how to carry a baby on your back' you will be amazed at how easy it is but you gotta be careful : )

That's freaking fantastic! My cousin had a baby carrier until her son outgrew it. He has cried and whined ever since, unless he's being held. It's her 4th so she can't really carry him around all the time. This would be a literally perfect idea!

I might make it for her! Thanks for the idea!

My son is the same way. Before that pic was taking of him sleeping like 5 mins after I put him in, he was crying for like 10 mins while I finished sewing it. Lol

Vedry nice! Your little guy looks very comfy in it. I'm hoping to make myself one for the newest baby. I guess I should look for some tutorials on how to tie it.

Super easy! You can tie it on the front, back or hip I believe

THIS ROCKS   Logged
twilightmiracle
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010 02:56:01 PM »

Your baby is adorable, you are beautiful, and you mei tai is AWESOME!  I was a babywearer too, before I got all crafty.  I now cringe at the money I spent on my mei tai  knowing I could have sewn it myself!

Happy baby wearing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eat_My_Shorts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010 05:05:18 PM »

Your baby is adorable, you are beautiful, and you mei tai is AWESOME!  I was a babywearer too, before I got all crafty.  I now cringe at the money I spent on my mei tai  knowing I could have sewn it myself!

Happy baby wearing!

Thank you so very much : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010 05:14:09 PM »

my daughter was exactly the same and i baby wore her until she was over 2 at which point she no longer wanted to be held but preferred to walk while holding my hand.  we received a stroller as a baby shower gift but ended up selling it when she was 1 because it had never been used.

to be honest, i found it more convenient for our family to babywear anyway.  have you ever tried to lug a stroller on public transportation?  me neither but ive seen others struggle with it. doenst look like a whole lot of fun.  your mei tei is beautiful!  you did a fantastic job on it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eat_My_Shorts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010 07:52:10 PM »

my daughter was exactly the same and i baby wore her until she was over 2 at which point she no longer wanted to be held but preferred to walk while holding my hand.  we received a stroller as a baby shower gift but ended up selling it when she was 1 because it had never been used.

to be honest, i found it more convenient for our family to babywear anyway.  have you ever tried to lug a stroller on public transportation?  me neither but ive seen others struggle with it. doenst look like a whole lot of fun.  your mei tei is beautiful!  you did a fantastic job on it! 

Lol. Yes I have lugged a stroller many times and no it is not fun AT ALL! I even bought a smaller stroller just so it wasnt such a boat on a small bus but everytime like clockwork my son is either sitting on my lap or standing assisted on the seat beside me. I wonder how other children can just chill in a stroller on the bus when my son DEMANDS to be freed : ) I do want to try my Mei Tai out on the bus however because it is so convenient.

Thank you all so much for your compliments and comments
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fliztods
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010 09:42:24 PM »

My little Bean is in the anti-stroller club, too. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't discovered the mei tai. They're so easy to whip up to fit the seasons, my outfits...though sometimes I am guilty of wearing the baby and pushing all my stuff in the stroller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Holiday Red Berry Trifle
Strawberry Champagne Pops
Cupcake ATM Opens Up in NYC
How to Make a Sheet Tray Cookie Bar
How to Make Rum-Spiked Grilled Pineapple
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...