A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Weeping Angel Barbie (aka " Fashion Doll ") Statue  (Read 20791 times)
Tags for this thread: angel , doctor_who , featured_project , papier_mache , dr_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ambermoony
Swap addict

I fix things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010 11:13:28 PM »

I saw the thumbnail on the featured projects and freaked out a little bit.

You did an amazing job, and the Weeping Angels are so inherently scary, but we all love them anyway Cheesy (My ringtone is the doctor saying "Don't even blink, blink and you're dead!")

I'd try to make one, but I think that if I had it in the house, I might never blink again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda Swap (Rnd 2): crafting
Doctor Who Swap round 5: crafting

Open to personal swaps~
varifiresis
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010 08:35:17 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the love on this project! I am so excited that so many people were familiar with the Weeping Angels, I figured no one would "get it" outside of the swap! I am so glad to know there are so many fans of the Doctor out there (here in Texas I feel like the only one who has ever seen the show sometimes!)

And to answer a question a few posts back... the stone like finish was achieved by sanding the finished paper mache to smooth rough spots then applying 6-7 light coats of gesso tinted with gray paint over the whole thing , sanding lightly between coats. That way the plastic doll and paper mache dress and wings all had the same texture when it was finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010 08:57:32 AM »

this is fabulous!!!!!   i'm planing on creating a weeping angel out of a barbie very soon (i just cut her arms so they will sit properly Wink  to go with my whoniverse themed bathroom....  i had no idea how i was going to do the wings, but paper mache seems like a wonderful idea!  ...oh, and i didn't read all of the pages of responses so i don't know if this got brought up or not, but i know from experience that barbies can stand up to low oven heat (enough to set sculpey at least Wink but if you were using a doll with a softer plastic, and the longer time it would take to set paper mache,i don't know :/  this is awesome!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

varifiresis
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010 10:43:45 AM »

this is fabulous!!!!!   i'm planing on creating a weeping angel out of a barbie very soon (i just cut her arms so they will sit properly Wink  to go with my whoniverse themed bathroom....  i had no idea how i was going to do the wings, but paper mache seems like a wonderful idea!  ...oh, and i didn't read all of the pages of responses so i don't know if this got brought up or not, but i know from experience that barbies can stand up to low oven heat (enough to set sculpey at least Wink but if you were using a doll with a softer plastic, and the longer time it would take to set paper mache,i don't know :/  this is awesome!!!!

The cheap $ store doll didn't work in the oven- I did a 2 minute test at 150 and the head was VERY hot- I almost melted it- I might have been able to do the body and dress but I had glued the head on to the body by the time I realized how long it took to dry. I am thinking about making another one but would do ALOT differently this time.-- I would LOVE to see pics of your bathroom! I never thought to Who theme a bathroom! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010 10:51:34 AM »

The cheap $ store doll didn't work in the oven- I did a 2 minute test at 150 and the head was VERY hot- I almost melted it- I might have been able to do the body and dress but I had glued the head on to the body by the time I realized how long it took to dry. I am thinking about making another one but would do ALOT differently this time.-- I would LOVE to see pics of your bathroom! I never thought to Who theme a bathroom! Great idea!
[/quote]

ahhhh..... that makes sense Wink   ...and yes, eventually i'll post the whole thing on here, when it's done... it was inspired by the dalek i crocheted and turned into a TP holder Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brodie74
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010 07:43:00 PM »

GORGEOUS! love love love this... the angels have the phone box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilybet85
Crafting Sci-Fi Geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010 11:46:30 AM »

This is simply amazing. I LOVE the Weeping Angels episodes. And I happen to have gotten a box of 25 Barbies for free.  Needless to say, the first project is this. Part of it is drying as I type this!  Grin WONDERFUL idea!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010 11:56:40 AM by Lilybet85 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lilybet85.blogspot.com/ For the Geeky Craftster!

"I'm glad you've got an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has got ideas of its own." The Doctor

"It is possible to commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." Captain Picard
jessiben

I wish my execution was on par with my inspiration

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010 12:35:29 PM »

I can't stop staring at this! Which is good because I really shouldn't blink or turn away...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you think this is near death you haven't lived yet."
-The 4th Doctor

http://promptedprojects.blogspot.com
Mischa85
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010 04:32:05 PM »

It that holds the image of an angel, becomes an angel!!!

RUUUUNNNNN!!!!!!!

(I've seen someone else use Velspar Stone Spray to get the stone finish, but we don't have that here in Australia, so I guess paint will have to do!

I'm making a bunch of fun Doctor Who things for my friend's housewarming. We're having a "Fond-Who" party.

Doctor Who dress ups, eating Fondue. Epic Win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
Candlesprite7
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010 02:41:22 PM »

Fantastic! I love all the episodes with the Weeping Angels, they creep me out so much...I'd probably freak if I saw this at night in my living room or something...LOL You did an excellent job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Profile
How to Make Your Own Oil Paints
How to Paint a Landscape
How to Paint a Portrait
How to Create an Artist Portfolio
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...