A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 83079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #560 on: March 21, 2012 11:23:17 AM »

wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #561 on: March 21, 2012 04:39:05 PM »

Awesome Loukr. I got a new computer that should use my camera card, so when I get my graphic softwares on here, I'm going to be ready to go.

My skirt has no elastic at the waist, so I have to widen and put a zipper in there. What is the best zipper length with a good size discrepancy in the waist and hip measurements. I'm thinking the band is about 6 inches, but I need the zipper to accommodate larger hips.

I have similar fabrics to add.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #562 on: March 21, 2012 06:57:28 PM »

Definitely on the right track loukr!  I want to call it the Peach Princess....or The Peach Faerie Goes To The Prom or some such Grin  It's just yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #563 on: March 22, 2012 02:29:52 AM »

Thanks folks! I'm going to keep playing around with it today Cheesy
Awesome Loukr. I got a new computer that should use my camera card, so when I get my graphic softwares on here, I'm going to be ready to go.

My skirt has no elastic at the waist, so I have to widen and put a zipper in there. What is the best zipper length with a good size discrepancy in the waist and hip measurements. I'm thinking the band is about 6 inches, but I need the zipper to accommodate larger hips.

I have similar fabrics to add.

Loves, I don't know if this is the remedy you're after - a photo will help Smiley but I suppose you just need to measure the widest part of your body and go from there. You want your finished skirt to open up to at LEAST that measurement, so the zip will need to be long enough to reach that 'cut point' in the skirt. Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 22, 2012 02:33:57 AM »

Oh, wow, loukr, this is coming together brilliantly! I am loving the colors and textures you combined... and I really like the combination with the stong purple-ish color Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #565 on: March 22, 2012 04:13:21 PM »

OK, the raw skirt.

This is some lovely black and green lace and the pic doesn't do it justice.

Some black lace and golden chiffon. Lots of yardage on the chiffon.

And some more lace and trim.

I am going to try to get a zipper in without having to expand, but the skirt will ultimately dictate how this is done.

Louke, I like how you attach triangle pieces on the bias and I may try this technique first with some light basting stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #566 on: March 23, 2012 10:40:38 AM »

Loves, I don't know if this would work as well as any other method.. but if it were me working with your skirt I would actually cut somewhere right from the bottom to the top and open the whole thing out to work on it that way. If you did that you wouldn't have to worry about sewing the skirt to itself (I do that ALL the time!), and lots of fiddly maneuvering!

This way you can keep wrapping it around yourself as you progress to see how it's looking and to check the fit and if it's a bit snug decide whether to add another panel perhaps, or a zip/buttons/lacing etc etc. Smiley

Here's mine so far! I'm so close to finishing this layer and then I'll probably add a few more bits of draped fabric here and there to fill in any gaps and then add some lace, buttons etc etc to the bodice! I took the weird half square doily off the front that you'll see in one of my previous pictures because it didn't look quite right. and I think I'm going to cover up the larger chunks of dark colour because that doesn't look quite right either! I'm absolutely loving how this looks, and it's bringing back lovely memories of making the ragdoll dress for cassadee during the ever-famous gibbous swap Cheesy And of course, the second time round is a whole lot easier because I learnt so much the first time - I hope some of my photos and descriptions are helping you guys too!

I tried it on yesterday and it was at it's absolute limit as far as fitting me, VERY snug indeed but I am in the middle of loosing around 2 stone so HOPEFULLY once I've lost that weight I can squeeze into the finished dress without making too many adjustments Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
lovesclutter

« Reply #567 on: March 23, 2012 03:50:09 PM »

Thank you for the tip, I will do as you suggest this weekend. With the gibbous aspect, no one is really going to be able to tell I hacked it up.

Your dress is looking great. The draping is great and the dark/light combo on the front is awesome. Your fabrics are so pretty, that this is so feminine. Keep it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2012 01:52:42 AM »

Oh, loukr, this is truly beautiful! I'd wear this in a heartbeat, even if the colors would be more than usual for me Wink
The front is perfect, but I feel like something is missing on the right lower back on the waistline- I think it needs a small piece of bright fabric Grin

Just looking at it makes my fingers itch to try my own Grin
So I went to the second hand store yesterday to look for a base-dress, but ended up buying something that had apparently waited just for me and is so pretty just the way it is, that I'm back on square one again Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2012 10:51:29 AM »

More progress shots! Today I've been adding a bit more oomph to the skirt part! The back right portion was missing some base layers and the mosquito net was poking through so I hoiked up the fabrics and tacked some fabric down to cover it! This was fun to get under the needle of my machine.. NOT! The needle kept picking at the net.. dammit! Looks better now though!

I've also covered up the dark bit at the front - it just didn't look right

I still need to add a few bias bits around the waistline to keep it consistent but I'm really happy with how it's looking so far - even if it has now shrunk even more!

Birdbones, I couldn't figure out which bit at the back you meant? I still need to add more to the waistline so perhaps I'll cover it without even noticing it was the bit you're talking about! Cheesy
Hey, don't you just love it when you find the perfect garment for yourself at the thrift store! keep going back though - you're bound to pick up the perfect pase garment soon ehough! Alternatively if you have any dressmaking patterns you could knock one up quickly? It wouldn't need to be neatly finished or anything since you'll be covering it with goodies anyway Cheesy

Really looking forward to seeing other peoples pieces! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Pastel Trend
How to Wear a White Blazer
How to Get a Complete Inexpensive Outfit
The Jeans We Are Wearing This Season
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...