A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 112143 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BirdBones
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2012 09:20:41 PM »

Thank you lovely! I'm planning on keeping the top part structured, sewing down strips/ribbons ets to give it some sort of corset appearance (hopefully!) and then cut the bottom of the dress off, and add floaty feathery lacey doilie (of course Cheesy tehee) and ruffled bits to end at around about knee length. Smiley

I've sketched out a few ideas so far but I'm not entirely happy with any just yet - have you tried drawing in this style? It's so difficult!! I think with a lot of these and particularly the fuller ones, it's always better to start from the bottom up!

Looking forward to seeing your item and contributing some ideas Smiley Smiley

I hope it's ok if I put my two cents in, loukr Grin
You could try attaching ribbons that mimick the seams of a corset....
I have given up sketching very much first in cases like these..... I mostly start with the shape, parts of the clothes should have, and then cut the different patterned pieces according to the lines I want (thus blatantly ignoring the original dress pattern). Then I put it on the mannequin and just attach whereever it looks good Cheesy
 I never thought of starting with a complete garment... silly me, of course that way it's much easier I imagine... my dress started with an old bra I really wanted to recycle Wink The rest of the dress was put together from bits and pieces.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #501 on: March 09, 2012 03:29:24 AM »

Thanks for the tips! The reason I wanted to sketch a few ideas out first is because otherwise all my dresses come out looking the same - tight up top, long flowy bottom - like the one I made for cassadee In fact, they probably come out like that because I was making a cropped top bodice and working from that.. hopefully working from a ready-made garment will help with the whole 'piecing' type thing - we'll see Cheesy

Hey, I never even considered using a BRA!! What a great idea!! Cheesy I'll play around with different shapes and pattern type pieces and see what happens. Piecing the ribbons and what have you sort of reminds me of when I made this decoupaged mannequin, I used the lines from old pattern pieces to create a corsetty type shape to give her some dignity!

ANYWAY - back to the task in hand! ♥
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012 03:31:37 AM by loukr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2012 03:12:53 PM »

Wow, Loukr, that manequin is fabulous. Unfortunately, I'm a little larger.

Birdbones, I agree with Loukr, the bra idea is fabulous. I've made purses from them, but basing an entire garment. That rocks. Will have pics tomorrow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
BirdBones
« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2012 07:50:36 PM »

Wow, Loukr, that manequin is fabulous. Unfortunately, I'm a little larger.

Birdbones, I agree with Loukr, the bra idea is fabulous. I've made purses from them, but basing an entire garment. That rocks. Will have pics tomorrow

I agree! That mannequin is lovely- she looks so dressed! Grin

And making a purse from a bra? That sounds awfully interesting and my mind is already turning the cups into extra outside-pockets thus giving second base a whole new meaning Wink Can't wait to see pics of what you made, lovesclutter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2012 06:27:19 AM »

This was a while ago.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/fabricgraphics/3115715489/

Made for sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
BirdBones
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2012 08:18:50 AM »

NICE! Will need to steal the idea be royally inspired Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2012 02:36:19 PM »

Thanks, the best one I didn't get a pic of. I like the idea of a gibbous garment with this as a base.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2012 03:35:10 PM »

Love the manequin "skin".  What a great idea!  Some one should make fabric like that.....

BB.  Your just so awesome in so many ways.  I like to imagine you dressed like that all the time...in a fashion way not a creepy real stalker way...and low and be hold you DO!  You're my hero Grin

Adorable bra purse lovesclutter.  Made me smile for sure Grin

I'm still haunting about.  Long and complicated move, still tons to do.  But I will have a box for things to play with in a few months, once I get through the sorting.....wait...I think that has to be in capitals actually...The Sorting!  I should probably make that a personal yearly holiday...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012 03:35:34 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People who have uncovered lifes twisted hoax find refuge in the irreverent, twisted and weird."

RuPaul in discussion With John Waters
BirdBones
« Reply #508 on: March 11, 2012 01:16:58 AM »

Love the manequin "skin".  What a great idea!  Some one should make fabric like that.....

BB.  Your just so awesome in so many ways.  I like to imagine you dressed like that all the time...in a fashion way not a creepy real stalker way...and low and be hold you DO!  You're my hero Grin

Adorable bra purse lovesclutter.  Made me smile for sure Grin

I'm still haunting about.  Long and complicated move, still tons to do.  But I will have a box for things to play with in a few months, once I get through the sorting.....wait...I think that has to be in capitals actually...The Sorting!  I should probably make that a personal yearly holiday...

Ah, suereal, you are MY hero! Grin
I vote we introduce the Holiday Of The Sorting! How about April fools day? ( because I found the one who starts a project like this and still has a day job, is certainly a little foolish due to all the weeks of work following that decision) Grin nonetheless, my fingers have been itching to make a new one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #509 on: March 12, 2012 09:47:08 AM »

I can't help but want to call that a boob-bag! I guess that's sort of what a bra is anyway!

Hey guys, I'm stumped! I desparately want to get started on this dress but am unsure what to do about the closure. it buttons all the way down the front. I'll probably chop it off and make it knee-length.. should I open it up and work on it that way? or should I sort of.. sew up the bottom.. ummm this isn't even making sense, I think I'll have to tack and see what happens!

HEY suereal nice to see you back! Would love to see some new stuff from you Cheesy hope the move settles down soon, I've moved twice in the past 6 months so I really feel for you! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...