A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 86667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #390 on: October 02, 2010 03:17:24 PM »

I've added a little fluff to my purple dress, made cap sleeves and have some fabric I've ruffled to add to it. Been re-doing an item for a swap, involved some major reconstructive surgery. But I'm pleased. It's purple too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2010 04:15:51 PM »

Yes I finally got my machine fixed! Thank god for life time warranties!

Can finally get back to sewing! Just have to clear off my desk area again. Make that my whole apartment...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #392 on: October 07, 2010 12:44:19 PM »

I just posted a Teesha Moore style backpack, and since it uses a pair of button fly jeans as well, I thought it was kinda gibousy too.  SO I thought I'd post the link...if I can figure out how heheh

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353386.msg4240613#msg4240613

Looks like it worked! Let me know if it didn't please. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #393 on: October 07, 2010 08:05:15 PM »

Link works great and OMG, going back to covet, and probably wist too.  Love love that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #394 on: October 08, 2010 03:59:20 PM »

Oh yes, I like it very much!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
fyrefairee
« Reply #395 on: October 12, 2010 05:15:59 PM »

Here's a mini-tute for you all in case you want to give this effect a go.

The image shows just the front half of the bodice, (as visible in image #2 overlaid onto the actual dress!)

You will always want to drape the fabric on the bias, this gives the lovely flow to the skirt and also makes that hemline super simple!

This is gorgeous - it has inspired me to refashion a skirt  I made nearly a decade, but have never worn. Oh, the possibilities Smiley

And, I have to say (after finding this thread last night), I love this dress. I had been reading with interest, waiting to see what you were planning to do with the bodice, and the orange was my favourite. Gorgeous work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyrefairee
« Reply #396 on: October 12, 2010 05:41:10 PM »

Hi,

I'm a brand new member of craftster, inspired to join just because of this thread (and the gibbous swap, and cassadee's leaf dress).

For a upcoming dance event, I am creating a gibbous-inspired dress. The event is in just under two weeks now, so I really have to get my act together.

The theme for this event is 'Halloween: Murder on the Dance Floor'. I had originally planned to go as the Corpse Bride from Tim Burton's film, but while researching how other people had done it, I stumbled across Cassadee's leaf dress

or also shown as part of this thread. This made me totally rethink what I was doing. So, I decided to do my own gibbous inspired dress. And, yesterday, I figured that there was a sew-along, so I thought I would post my progress here.

Because the gibbous dress is not something that I originally set out to do, there is a decent amount of new stuff in my dress, but also stash items and thrifted things.

So, the materials I have used so far (or plan to use):
  • New Curtain Lace
  • New Lilac/Mauve Muslin
  • Old curtain lace from stash
  • fabric straps from stash
  • lace from stash
  • New invisible zip
  • grommets from stash
  • new and stash ribbon
  • new lace
  • lots of thrifted lace diolies
  • beads and buttons from my mother's stash
  • 2 thrifted baby dresses, wanted for their embelishments
  • young girl's jeans, adorned with lace (removed to use)
  • teen girl's lace skirt, taken apart to remove lace

So, armed with these items, and with the pictures I had printed as inspiration, I started my dress.

Firstly, I neurotically photographed ever lace doilie, and piece of lace I planned to use. A little OCD perhaps, but I wanted the record.

Some of my favourites:

I gave myself a few rules when I started this dress
1) NO BLACK
2) Must be able to dance in it
3) My bra and underwear must NOT be visible
4) It must have a butterfly somewhere (what a score the lace doilies with the butterflies were)

Going along with the bride theme, the first thing I did was to create a veil. I think I originally read the instructions for the veil on instructibles, but as I didn't write down, copy or book mark the link, I'm not totally sure.

The veil was really easy. I took a rectangle of my curtain lace (because it's for curtains, it had a 2 m drop or width), removed the scalloped hem and the curtain tape, and then folded in in half vertically in horizontally. I then cut a curve in the bottom, from the folded edge to the raw edge.

After unfolding, I bound the edge with silver bias binding. I sewed it in place using a wide, short zig zag stitch, and invisible thread.

Next, I folded it in half, with the under side longer than the top. I gathered along the fold line, and hot glue gunned it onto a slide comb.

And, ta dah! one veil.

Next, I started on the dress.

I started with a simple strapless dress pattern:

I wanted a bustle, so using two layers of stiff tulle, (or nylon net, depending on where you are), one layer of curtain lace, with the edges bound to match the veil, and one layer of muslin on top. The final bustle is three layers, each about 5cm longer than the last.

My bustle pattern is fairly easy. It is basically two curves, a straight line cut on the fold.

With each subsequent layer, I made the lower curve dip about 5cm further. The curved upper allows the bustle to poof up.

Because the base of my dress is muslin, I wasn't sure how strong it would be if I sewed the bustles directly onto the dress. So, I sewed on three strips of cotton tape to give a bit of strength. Each is 5cm lower than the next, and the top one is 5m lower than the waistline (I made the lowest bustle sit under my waist because the dance style often requires your partner to run his hand along your waist, and if there is too much detailing on the waist, it tends to get caught).

I am planning to put eyelets in the back, and have the dress lace up. Again, I am concerned about the strenght of the dress. So, I added cotton tape where the eyelets will sit, as well as along the under bust line, and the waistline (not shown) and the top of the dress (not shown). these bands of cotton tape that go around my body will have press studs attached to them to behind the zip, to allow the tension to be shared around the dress, and to reduce tension on the zip.

I edged each of the muslin bustle pieces with lace, or the lace borders from my doilies. I don't have a before photo, but it really made each bustle layer 'pop'.

Next I added detailing to the top layer of the bustle.

I really wasn't happy with this detail, so I unpicked it, and am now experimenting with this bustle design.

It isn't sitting right yet, so I think I am going to cut another layer of muslin, construct it flat, and then add it on top of my current bustles.

I have just started the detailing on the main part of the dress. So far, I have stitched the detailing on the right hip side of dress.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

« Reply #397 on: October 12, 2010 06:08:19 PM »

I love gibbous.. and wish I had more time on my hands...

if you guys are still hunting for inspiration...

http://nattyboho.etsy.com
http://flutterbydaisy.etsy.com
http://salvationscraps.etsy.com
http://ArmoursansAnguish.etsy.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #398 on: October 12, 2010 06:19:24 PM »

Wow, firefairee!  That is an impressive amount of work!  Lovely.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
lovesclutter

« Reply #399 on: October 12, 2010 06:26:49 PM »

That is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Dressed Stars: J Lo, Michelle Obama and Jessica Alba
How to Perfect Your Après-Ski Style
Red Carpet Raves: J Lo, Jessica Alba and Rita Ora Make Statements
First Lady Fashion Choices Means Big Bucks For Designers
Testing Out the Skineez Skincarewear
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...