A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 70236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2010 08:33:07 PM »

Loving the dress so far. I love the flowey beauty of it, and I never would have thought that I would have liked orange!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #361 on: September 13, 2010 05:33:32 AM »

I love orange and that is very beautiful. So envious. If you don't mind sharing how you get that effect?

I am thinking of on the purple using a lot of gold buttons. Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2010 09:03:27 AM »

Hello, thank you for all the lovely comments, I was a bit worried since I was so tired last night when I decided to start sewing!

Here's a mini-tute for you all in case you want to give this effect a go.

The image shows just the front half of the bodice, (as visible in image #2 overlaid onto the actual dress!)

You will always want to drape the fabric on the bias, this gives the lovely flow to the skirt and also makes that hemline super simple!

I literally just chopped out loads of squares (and the odd rectangle) from my fabric (following the grain). How big your squares are will determine how long your skirt-part will be - Experiment Smiley Mine has all sorts of lengths and once I get around to doing the back, it will be even longer!
-REMEMBER, YOU CAN CHOP LONG PARTS SHORTER, BUT YOU CAN'T CHOP SHORT PARTS LONGER! (you can however add more layers underneath the short bits if it's too short for a funky and fuller effect!)

You need to attach your squares via a corner. This means the fabric will be on the bias (yey!).
If it makes things easier for you, chop off one corner from each square so that it will all be in line with the bottom seam of your bodice.

If you're lazy like me or you like the effect, keep the corners on and sew right over those bad-boys a few times right upto the corner that you would've otherwise chopped off so they look as though they're growing up the bodice!

Overlap each of your squares for a fuller effect, or line the edges of each one up.. EXPERIMENT!
I hand gathered my squares as I was sewing so I could fit more on there for a big poofey effect! Remember though, because of the shape of the skirt pieces and the fact that you're stitching it on the bias, you don't have to hand gather it if you don't feel the need. stitching it straight without gathering means it will still look lovely and full but you'll have room for loads of stuff on top like doilies, beads, buttons without breaking your machine trying to get through layers and layers of fabric.. also if you don't have much of your skirt fabric then gathering it might mean you get half way around your dress and realise that you've run out! RUNNING OUT MEANS IT'S TIME TO TRY DIFFERENT COLOURS AND FABRICS!

All done. now check out my super amazing (not) diagram for you:

Any good guys??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
gekkogirl
« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2010 02:43:22 PM »

Oooh! I've been lurking around and admiring this theme of threads for so long. The items are so mouthwateringly beautiful. And finally two Saturdays ago I got to try the style out for myself. I volunteer for Oxfam at a new Reworked for Oxfam store in Reading UK. The idea is that we take some of their thrift clothes and alter them to try and sell. Sometimes this is just a simple change of buttons or hemming a little but SOMETIMES you can take a slightly stained white and boring corset and go bananas! All the lace and ribbon was donated.
This free and loose method is really not easy for me so I still couldn't manage the "floatiness" of some of the beautiful garments here but I'm closer!
Photos:

The front- I'm especially in love with the heart

Thanks for all the great inspiration and advice is very much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2010 07:51:34 AM »

loukr i luuurv the little tute - it's so helpful!! thank you  Smiley
and your dress looks stunning so far...can't wait to see where it goes from there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2010 08:13:49 AM »

Yes, loukr, that really makes it make sense. I have a hard time seeing even the simplest ideas sometimes, but in your case that worked beautifully. I do love the orange very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #366 on: September 14, 2010 10:20:58 AM »

Pretty corset. It would go perfectly with my skirt! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: September 15, 2010 10:30:32 AM »

Great tutorial!
And I love the heart on that corset, the star stitching inside it really makes it happen for me.

I am having a hard time doing anything with this project because I just don't know where to wear a thing like this. I am nearly 40, have 2 kids and a busy life and I don't get dressed up very often and never for an event that would take a dress like this! I have a "don't wear anything you can't wipe your hands on" philosophy most of the time. What are you guys doing with these clothes? Are you wearing them out? Where? With what? As much as I like the look I'm baffled about how to incorporate it into actual life...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #368 on: September 15, 2010 12:13:19 PM »

Think about making something more like what you would ordinarily wear.  Smiley  If you don't usually wear dresses, don't make a dress, make a skirt or a top.  If you want something you can wipe your hands on, make it out of scraps that are durable, stain-concealing, and washable, like cottons.  Remember these clothes are made of rags!  If you can't wipe your hand on a rag, what can you wipe your hands on?   Tongue  But I admit I'm also having a bit of trouble making every day clothes in this style, because my designs keep being too fancy.

One dress idea you might consider is just making the bodice of the dress from scraps, with a plain skirt for the bottom.  This will be both easier and less conspicuously "weird" than a big floofy dress. Here's an example I never got around to posting:

The skirt part is just a long green thrifted skirt, the top is different scraps cut in squares and quilted on a bodice based on this pattern:  http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/contour-bust-dress-and-tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #369 on: September 15, 2010 02:03:23 PM »

Love the bodice! What a great idea. I may make something similar someday when I have time........ Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christmas Origami - Folding a Dove
How to Fold an Origami Turkey
How to Fold an Origami Paper Tank
How to Fold an Origami Paper Spaceship
How to fold an origami square base
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...