A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 70220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2010 04:32:16 PM »

what a mcfantasitical idea. Welcome, a friend is coming over to see my progress. I'm excites.

awesome mctastical, i love the fabrics you have chosen and you never plan too early.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2010 05:25:55 PM »

It's always nice to be able to comment on something that I actually know about!

You can easily rust chain by soaking it in salt water for a day or so. But the rust may rub off, and not necessarily in a good way. Better to do it a test first, and if you don't like the result, do it with paint. It's actually a bit difficult to spraypaint chain, because you can't get in between the links very well. A better way is to use acrylic paint that's thinned until it just runs easily (but still thick enough that when you dip your finger into it, the colour isn't transparent) and dip the chain in it. Stir it around to cover all the parts, lift it out and give it a good shimmy to shake off the excess. You'll need to hang it to dry (over newspapers because it'll drip) and re-arrange it every five minutes or so to keep the spots where the links meet from gumming together.

If your chain is quite shiny, it may take several coats, letting it dry a few hours between them. You can just use a single colour (burnt sienna or red ochre is fine, or tint it with about 20% raw sienna for a truer colour) or, for a very convincing finish, do a good base coat, and when it's dry, lay the chain out on newspaper and spatter it with one or two other colours for texture. Raw umber, burnt umber or black are all good for this, and the paint should be thinned quite a bit more so it just stains the surface rather than coating it. Just use a wide paint brush to flick paint over the chain (okay, use lots of newspaper for this, as there's no way to avoid making a mess!), turning it and rearranging it to get all sides. Don't worry about missing spots or being even. When it looks suitably grungy, hang to dry. Remember that the paint is much more visible when it's wet, so you may find that what looks just right may be far too little when it's dry.

Okay, from dirty metal to ruffles: If you don't have a ruffler foot (and once you've used one you'll wonder why you ever tried to do it without), another good way to do it is to lay down a heavy thread (buttonhole thread is perfect) and zig-zag over it, being careful not to catch it with the needle. (You may already have a presser foot with a little hole at the front; this is what it's for. Thread the heavy thread through the hole and it'll remain perfectly spaced between the zigzags as you stitch along.) To gather, simply slide the fabric back along the thread and tie it off. Use a fairly long stitch length and only enough width to easily clear the gathering thread. The advantage of this method is that there's little chance of breaking the heavy thread as you pull it, so it's good for lo-o-ong lengths of ruffle.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2010 05:38:21 PM »

Super painting mini-tute, Wulf!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Awesome McTastical
Pretty much amazing.

Live your life so the devil cries when you get up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2010 06:16:38 PM »

HOMIGOSH WULF! I never knew someone could be an expert in rusting but it sounds like you totally are. If I can find me a chain I soooooo can do that stuff you suggested!! Yay! I'm gonna be the most bomb voodoo ragdoll EVER! ((Kinda helps that I'm sure there's NEVER been one, huh? Cheesy))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an artist and crafter. I will privately (and happily!) swap anything I can ship in an envelope!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2010 06:51:10 PM »

Wulf you rock. That's terrific ruffling advice dude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2010 10:23:54 PM »

Yeah for men who craft!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Challenge Vote Please--http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431933.0#axzz2uu2i2vML
To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to kno
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2010 04:54:26 PM »

I also forgot about that technique to ruffle Wulf. You are a most valued addition to Craftster. I couldn't craft today as I needed an entire day to unwind from my stressful job but coming on here is helping tons.  2 months of 90 + temps isn't helping. We are going to be up to 97 or 98 degrees by Tuesday, thank goodness for my living room a/c.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2010 05:38:25 PM »

HOMIGOSH WULF! I never knew someone could be an expert in rusting but it sounds like you totally are.

It's important to have at least one useful skill! Wink

I'm sure your voodoo ragdoll will be scarily brilliant. You've made me look forward to Hallowe'en already!

And lovesclutter, I really do hope you get a break in the heat soon. It's finally cooled off a bit up here and what a difference it makes!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2010 09:41:12 PM »

I also forgot about that technique to ruffle Wulf. You are a most valued addition to Craftster. I couldn't craft today as I needed an entire day to unwind from my stressful job but coming on here is helping tons.  2 months of 90 + temps isn't helping. We are going to be up to 97 or 98 degrees by Tuesday, thank goodness for my living room a/c.

I would actually enjoy those temps. After living in AZ for 7 years, 100 feels comfortable. Like a warm blanket. I do hate 115 though. That's the norm her for the summer.

I am jealous of all the beautiful clothes I see being created here. But sewing gibbeous clothing is so labor intensive. I don't want to put a lot of work into something I'll have to cut down in size in a couple of months. I am getting some useful tips while keeping up with this thread though. I used a base skirt, and it did end up being a bit stiff. I was thinking that the stuff they use for making machine lace that dissolves in the wash might be useful here.

The more I see from Wulf, the more I think he's a great addition to craftster. I might even have a craftster crush on him.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2010 03:34:59 AM »

The more I see from Wulf, the more I think he's a great addition to craftster. I might even have a craftster crush on him.  Wink

He he he - I have a craftster crush on Wulf too, especially since I found out he's 6'2, it's just something about that beard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Fresh Flower Foam
How to Beatbox: Cow Bell
Backgammon Doubling Cube
Backgammon Game: The End
Backgammon Board: Pieces And Parts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...