A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 82772 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fyrefairee
« Reply #410 on: October 29, 2010 05:01:49 AM »

So, the dance party was last Saturday, and the dress was completed on Friday! Thats a whole day before I had to be anywhere!

So, since I last posted here, I have done a decent amount of stuff. The dress became almost entirely covered in texture, with a few exceptions where I left the curtain lace on display, because, lets face it, its pretty.

In the last post, I had sewed the detailing on the right hip, and was starting to redo the bustle detailing. I started with another piece of the bustle, laying it out flat, and pinning the detailing in place. Not only did this solve the problem I was having with symmetry, it also allowed me to add more butterflies.

And, as a side note, I went back to get more lace doilies, because I thought I was going to run out, and found the two big butterflies that are in the centre of the lowest row. Theyre stitched by the same hand as the other butterflies on the dress. I (think) I probably gained all of this amazing womans work that was in the local op shop. Its really precise and detailed, and made my dress look awesome

After this, I put the eyelets into the back lacing, and where the straps would go. Its been a while since I last did anything with eyelets. Normally when I make corsets, I will use loops instead. They are just easier. And, doing this dress, I realised why it was that I avoided eyelets. Im really, terribly bad at putting them in. I managed to put them in so that only one of the eyelets came out, but they were all smooshed and misshapen. Next time, I would definitely be using loops again.

I cut out the middle back section, so that the lacing was clearly visible, and edged the seam with ruffles from the little girls dresses.

Next, I started working on the detailing for the bodice of the dress. I had fallen in love with a flower texture, and had made tons (like, 10L, which I know is a strange measurement for anything sewn, but I filled 2 x 4L and 1 x 2L containers) of fabric flowers out of circles.

I have posted a tutorial of how I did this texture on my blog http://sewingsoffyrefairee.blogspot.com/2010/10/fabric-flower-texture.html. Its time consuming, but I was really, really pleased with the result.

The only thing I would do differently would be to have the gold at the top go further down the bodice I just love the look of it!

As you can see in the first photo, the right side of the bodice is covered with the flower texture, but the left side is bare. I had originally planned to cover both sides with the flowers, but I ran out (or close enough), so wasnt going to be able to. Leaving the left side blank was also not an option, because (a) it meant that my bra was visible, breaking one of the rule I had set for myself, and (b) it made the dress look unbalanced.

So, I added rows of lace. The top few rows are scalloped, following a scalloped line in the lace. As I got further down the bodice, the line straightened out.

Next, I continued with the detailing. The front of the bodice was now fully covered, so it was just my knickers that I had to worry about covering. I spent, well, hours pinning detailing onto the dress, staring at it, unpinning it, until I was happy with the detailing.

For the detailing on the left hip, I used the embroidered design from one of my little girls dresses. The surrounding lace is from another doily, the rows of fabric are scraps from my stash that I folded in thirds and sewed down, and the purple leaves are from a fabric in my stash. The buttons are from my mothers stash.

I placed each of the cut out embroidered details on a flower from the curtain lace pattern. And, I had to laugh, half of the little embroidered designs had butterflies on them. I think that this part of the detailing has become my favourite part of the dress.

The back left got covered in lace, again with a combination of hand sewing and machine sewing.

The back right hand side I again used fabric scraps from my stash, and following the shape of the space, sewed this detailing. The buttons are from my mothers stash.

Next, I sewed some buttons onto some of the lace on the front, and a row of buttons along the lace detailing on the left hip.

Lastly, I attached my poison bottles to the row of buttons. You can find a tute of how I made these vials of poison on my blog http://sewingsoffyrefairee.blogspot.com/2010/10/miniature-poison-bottles.html

And with that, my dress was finished!

(Although, the next day, I did sew myself a little shrug to wear with it, and the tute is on my blog http://sewingsoffyrefairee.blogspot.com/2010/10/white-raglan-sleeve-shrug.html).

As I was going to the dance party as a murderous bride, I had both the poison bottles above, and a dagger letter opener (because I didnt want to cut myself), worn on my leg with garter elastic.

And you know what? I really enjoyed this technique, so I think Im going to be making more things along this line in the future.

Thanks for reading. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2010 07:07:31 AM »

that dress is amazing!  great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2010 07:11:53 AM »

The dress turned out wonderful! All of the details made it even more perfect! Can't wait to see more things like this from you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2010 07:29:03 AM »

You did an awesome job and you look great in it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #414 on: October 29, 2010 01:30:44 PM »

I love all the fluffies and details.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
fyrefairee
« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2010 04:33:48 AM »

Thanks! I may go back to lurking for a little while as I recover, and clean my bedroom (which currently looks like my wardrobe threw up on it, thanks to my single-mindedness from the gibbous dress... which, I've decided should be called the 'murder on the mind' dress, after the theme)... and then, hopefully, I will be able to share my creations with you all.

Til then, happy crafting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oSnapitsStephanie
« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2010 07:03:52 PM »

I want to join, I have a few ideas in mind, maybe in a couple weeks I will begin on a project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make the most of yourself, for that is all that there is of you - Emerson
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2010 05:15:32 AM »

So.. my sister gave me her not so old but with holes in the fabric, brown tube-dress...
I really don't know how and where to start... I'll first make some sketches.. but if you allow me, as soon as I can, I'll make some photos of the dress, so maybe you could help me or give me some useful hints.. xD

*edit: ok so this is the hole-ish dress, and the photo isn't the best, but it's chocolate brown:

Since I'm very very new to gibbous fashion, I thought ot starting 'decorating' or modifying an already existing piece of cloth... but now I still don't know where to start, what to do, what I could do with this... I've seen some beautiful dresses but I'm new to the sewing machine, too.. so I feel like a disaster xD any help, recommendations, sketches I could use?
As already said, any help is very welcome!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010 08:13:17 AM by lunaholic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #418 on: December 03, 2010 03:30:40 PM »

gather up some of your favorite laces and fabric scraps, trims buttons and look at this thread with images only. You'll see lots of great ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: December 03, 2010 03:33:33 PM »

ok!! I'll try to do so! it will take a bit but I'll show the progress when I start ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Fishtail Braid
Fix Hat Hair for Good with These Easy Tips
How To Clip In Hair Extensions
Colored Hair Extensions Add A Splash Of Style: Hair Tips
Product Review: Agadir Argan Spray Oil
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...