A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 75291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010 06:23:56 PM »

Wulf_ I don't know what your thrift is like in your area, but you could get a lady's dress with long sleeves, and just cut it up the middle...tada- long coat.  I see them all the time for really cheep around here, and in a bunch of different materials.  Some are so shapeless you don't have to worry about the shape of the lady bits.  And would a padded coathanger hanging from the ceiling somewhere give you the drape enough?

I just found the bias cut burgundy linen dress I have been chucking around with me for 5 or 8 years that doesn't fit.  I just cut it up the middle and cut out the ..what's it called???...facing? and it's in the wash now, to see what happens.  I'm hoping the cut bits will go nice and chenille like.  And then it will be a long vest

I also found a few silk skirts that I want to use as the base for some woven silk upholstery remnets I was given last year.  Do y'all think I will be better off cutting the skirt open to work with it?  I think I will go that way...but maybe that is a bigger pain?  It fits all right now, all though I know I will have to make a different waist band anyway.  But fitting is such a tedious thing for me..

I am also worried about how heavy this could get...not emotionally but temperature wise..I over heat easy...

UPDATE:  I was just here
http://www.gibbousfashions.com/shop.php
and I figured out what I wanna do.  I'll post pics once the vest is dry.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 07:12:36 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010 09:15:49 PM »

So these are the things I have decided to work with.. Ignore the denium vest please, it is just to pad out my wire dress goddess

That is a close up of the front of the vest.  The bias shredded nicely.  I'm going to work it inside out, because I like the black support band that was in it.  I'll have to make sure and cover the tucks and stuff 'cause they just look silly hanging out like little fins..It is as a better color then shows here.  Kind of a wine burgundy.

A close up of the back shoulder and the hood I will add in (everything should have a hood or glow in the dark as far as I'm concerned Grin

A really bad photo of the back with the hood laid on so you can see the basic shape.

The bits I am starting with the vest.  I was thinking of mostly black, but I am liking the creams and greens with it.  I want to add a bit of orange too.  I'm going to put a patch I made of my Sig Pic (my little guy Cosmo as a butterfly) on the back just under where the hood will sit.

This is the fabric (lower right) and the bits I have started with for the skirt.  The fabric would not photo the color it is.  It is a weird combo of mustard, brown, and green.  It looks brown here.  I'll have to see about getting a true color for the end pick.  The skirt bit came off of a dress that had a really stiff and weird boxy top. The skirt was heavily pleated, so I have 96 inches in width to play with.  It's a heavy shantung (I think) silk.  I'm thinking I will lay a bit down then lay the silk over the bit and then sew, so it will be a bit stripy looking.

And this is the pile of washed woven silk upholstery bits I was given (I love my quilt guild. Yeah and THANKS  Blue Mountian Quilters!).  I will probably be using this on the skirt mostly..but maybe some on the vest too.

Too tired to start to sew, and I have stuff I need to get finished..so I will probably start in a few days I think.

Thanks for looking! sureal
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 09:16:45 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
goldsheepbowl
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010 04:48:33 AM »

I can't believe someone has already finished something, and how far along everyone else is!!!!

I have started a little something after seeing the amazing gallery for the gibbous swap!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010 05:38:00 AM »

Ooh wow there's so much interest in this sew-along!!

katara your waistcoat looks great! Personally I think a lining in a neutral coloured but funky patterned fabric would look equally as cool as having no lining at all!  I guess it's all down to preference!

lovesclutter yuou've got yourself the perfect pase garment I think! The fact that it's a button-down means it will be easier to sew bits on without having to undo any seams Smiley

Ludi, I'd be inclined to add some dusky pinks and peaches in with those fabrics, but that's because they're my favourites! I think if you've got the right selection, anything will work!

suereal that hood is AMAZING! I want one! I love all the pieces you've gathered for your garment!

I know this pic is rubbish, but this is the print from the curtain I'm planning on using for my main material!

Although I'm stuck between that and a blue and ivory dress.. hmmmm decisions decisions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010 10:28:51 AM »

Ok, here are my final color choices (unless you-all say "Ick!"  Tongue  ):

What do you think? 

Thanks so much for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010 10:48:45 AM »

I forgot to mention how cool that vest is! And I think I would be tempted to get something really wild to line it with.  I have a gold and black stripe that I got a few years ago from the Halloween fabrics..but I also hate to line things LOL

loukr-That hood came off of a really ugly t-shirt...and I think I have had it for about 10 years.  But everytime I tried to get rid of it, I just couldn't make myself, and now I know why. And (even tho it is not my style)  I think that fabric will be a great starting point for a very feminine outfit.  Do you know what type of garment you will make with it?

Ludi-I love your color pallet.  It's pretty similar to mine (I just don't pinks) Which color will be the main? Or are you going to try for even distribution?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010 10:57:53 AM »

The orange and rust are the two main colors on the skirt, with the others as accents on the bodice.  The peach crochet will be the trim on the bodice.  Anyway, that's the plan so far! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikolelily
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010 12:05:12 PM »

Count.Me.In.
i want in on anything gibbous. i will be making a silk dress from the leftovers from the bibbous swap, i bought like three grocery bags full of silk shirts, skirts and slips from a local thriftstore (for 5$ a bag!) and it has been a long time lust of mine to own a patchy silk dress, before i had even heard of gibbous i had planned it. posting pics asap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
goldsheepbowl
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010 12:15:05 PM »

I do like the colour choices now that you've said the pink is an accent Wink the rust and orange colours are gorgeous!!

This is what i've come up with so far, i had some cotton that is kind of like a thin canvas that i'd painted too much of for a previous project and thought it would make a sturdy and pretty (if any shows through when it's done Wink) bodice base for it!
I want to make it a dress that's longer and poofier at the back (hence the tulle) and i love buttons and hate adding zips to stuff Tongue

i'm thinking mostly neutral colours and teal/turquiose as main fabric choices with touches of black Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010 12:16:26 PM by goldsheepbowl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010 05:32:21 PM »

I'm glad you like the colors - now if I can just place them appropriately.  I hope to start pinning tomorrow. 

What shape will your bodice be, goldsheep?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Egg Fried Rice Recipe
How to Prepare Noodles in 1 Minute
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...