A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 310,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
317 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered Fashions sew-along!  (Read 121981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010 02:06:54 PM »

hhmmm what to do what do....maybe a long vest.....with removable sleeves....I'll have to think on this a wee bit...but YEAH!!! This will be fun...and I'll get to keep it LOL

Wow this is such an open ended idea.. I'm having a difficult time focusing...do I stick with one color pallet, do I just use anything and make it completely wacky (which will drive my denim warrior hub crazy LOL) egad.....sooo many options....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 02:18:54 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People who have uncovered lifes twisted hoax find refuge in the irreverent, twisted and weird."

RuPaul in discussion With John Waters
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010 02:08:57 PM »

Ludi, with all those browns and rusts, the new 'it' color is teal, but I would love to seen more of a turquoise. I don't know if I sent you that fabric, as I have a mound of batiks and other very heavy velours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010 02:16:25 PM »

Thanks for that suggestion, lovesclutter - I am looking at some greenish blues....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010 02:27:58 PM »

Love the colours you have so far. They are warm and earthy.
I would compliment them with a bright apple green. If that is too much of a contrast, a mossy green would be great too.
A bright (sky) blue would make for an interesting contrast too.
But perhaps you don't want too much contrast, in which case you could go for a more matching tone, like dark orange, or a darker brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010 03:18:28 PM »

Oh! I'm so glad there is this stitch along! I have made one gibbous inspired piece and would love to have something for myself! I'll have to get to work on this after my last few swap items are finished up!

I LOVE that waistcoat! I totally want a vest or waistcoat of my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little miss celia
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010 04:16:59 PM »

wow! you guys are fast!
I just saw this, hope to get involved. I have so much work I should be doing on my sewing machine right now though.... but its so boooring and this looks like FUN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010 05:37:57 PM »

Okay, Katara, I think you've set a new speed record for posting a project in a craft-along! That vest is great!

Personally, I would line it, just because vests are usually lined and I like the contrast between the scrappy, just-fell-together outside and the deliberateness of proper lining. It shows you know what you're doing however haphazard the garment looks. (Though your vest isn't haphazard at all - really quite rhythmic and balanced in fact.)

I'm really undecided about what to make. I would like a long coat, but that seems like a lot of work and more importantly, would take up more work space than I have available. (Also no dress form.) I like waistcoats but I got such a good one from thatbluesea that  it would seem a waste of time to try to make another one. I have a great hippy shirt that's too small for me (left over from a production of "Hair") , and I'd intended to use it for a pattern to make one in the right size. But I could also just splice and patch it out to make it fit. And of course I have this idea for a cloak, but that has the same problem as the coat. But can't you just imagine... Smiley

Lovesclutter, that purple dress has so much potential! You could turn it into almost anything, and that colour could go in almost any direction.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010 05:50:43 PM »

Thanks for the color suggestions - I'll be digging out my scraps and posting some choices tomorrow, I think...

Wulf, I would also like to do a coat or jacket, but am also intimidated by the scale of the project!   Tongue
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 05:51:52 PM by Ludi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
suereal
Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010 06:23:56 PM »

Wulf_ I don't know what your thrift is like in your area, but you could get a lady's dress with long sleeves, and just cut it up the middle...tada- long coat.  I see them all the time for really cheep around here, and in a bunch of different materials.  Some are so shapeless you don't have to worry about the shape of the lady bits.  And would a padded coathanger hanging from the ceiling somewhere give you the drape enough?

I just found the bias cut burgundy linen dress I have been chucking around with me for 5 or 8 years that doesn't fit.  I just cut it up the middle and cut out the ..what's it called???...facing? and it's in the wash now, to see what happens.  I'm hoping the cut bits will go nice and chenille like.  And then it will be a long vest

I also found a few silk skirts that I want to use as the base for some woven silk upholstery remnets I was given last year.  Do y'all think I will be better off cutting the skirt open to work with it?  I think I will go that way...but maybe that is a bigger pain?  It fits all right now, all though I know I will have to make a different waist band anyway.  But fitting is such a tedious thing for me..

I am also worried about how heavy this could get...not emotionally but temperature wise..I over heat easy...

UPDATE:  I was just here
http://www.gibbousfashions.com/shop.php
and I figured out what I wanna do.  I'll post pics once the vest is dry.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 07:12:36 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People who have uncovered lifes twisted hoax find refuge in the irreverent, twisted and weird."

suereal

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010 09:15:49 PM »

So these are the things I have decided to work with.. Ignore the denium vest please, it is just to pad out my wire dress goddess

That is a close up of the front of the vest.  The bias shredded nicely.  I'm going to work it inside out, because I like the black support band that was in it.  I'll have to make sure and cover the tucks and stuff 'cause they just look silly hanging out like little fins..It is as a better color then shows here.  Kind of a wine burgundy.

A close up of the back shoulder and the hood I will add in (everything should have a hood or glow in the dark as far as I'm concerned Grin

A really bad photo of the back with the hood laid on so you can see the basic shape.

The bits I am starting with the vest.  I was thinking of mostly black, but I am liking the creams and greens with it.  I want to add a bit of orange too.  I'm going to put a patch I made of my Sig Pic (my little guy Cosmo as a butterfly) on the back just under where the hood will sit.

This is the fabric (lower right) and the bits I have started with for the skirt.  The fabric would not photo the color it is.  It is a weird combo of mustard, brown, and green.  It looks brown here.  I'll have to see about getting a true color for the end pick.  The skirt bit came off of a dress that had a really stiff and weird boxy top. The skirt was heavily pleated, so I have 96 inches in width to play with.  It's a heavy shantung (I think) silk.  I'm thinking I will lay a bit down then lay the silk over the bit and then sew, so it will be a bit stripy looking.

And this is the pile of washed woven silk upholstery bits I was given (I love my quilt guild. Yeah and THANKS  Blue Mountian Quilters!).  I will probably be using this on the skirt mostly..but maybe some on the vest too.

Too tired to start to sew, and I have stuff I need to get finished..so I will probably start in a few days I think.

Thanks for looking! sureal
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 09:16:45 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Cork Board
Triptychs: Art in Three Pieces
Meatless Monday: Italian Stew

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...