A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any tips on what to do in Berlin?  (Read 1131 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gavagai
« on: July 20, 2010 03:50:50 AM »

I and my sister are going to Berlin between the 29:th of July and the 1:st of August (from Sweden). I am a very dedicated craftster and so I thought you people here could probaly guide me to something that would suit my taste.  Smiley Looking for things like flea markets, interesting craft shops, independent art galleries... anything interesting (and preferably inexpensive).

I have looked through the previous threads here and found some interesting things, but most of those threads are years old, so I thought I'd ask again. What is your favourite place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
anne_usual
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010 12:37:25 AM »

hi gavagai,
I think I might have an idea or two for you...
my absolute favourite is a little shop calles frau tulpe (http://www.frautulpe.de/?___store=engl_storeview&___from_store=default). it's got beautiful things and a really inspiring atmosphere.
I know of two flea markets, one is in the mauerpark (prenzlauer berg), huge thing, on sundays; the other is on the boxhagener platz (friedrichshain), smaller, more trees if I remember correctly. on both markets there are usually plenty of crafty people selling their things, so they're great places for shopping and - ahem - 'getting' ideas.
around the boxhagener platz there are plenty of restaurants who offer brunch on sundays for little money. I love to sit, eat, talk and watch people for hours...
what else...
if it is (almost) as hot as last week, you can have an urban swim at the badeschiff (http://www.arena-berlin.de/badeschiff.aspx?flagtext=Badeschiff). they charge you a few euros, but it is a lovely place to get strength in the late afternoon for the berlin night and have a first drink.
the best icecream you get near the the u-bahn station schlesisches tor, I think it's falckenstrasse, but not quite sure. anyway, you'll see the queue.
in mitte there's a lovely place to have breakfast or just coffee called strandbad mitte, and another place for a drink one with a lovely, somewhat wild garden called clärchen's ballhaus.
and if you're into strawberry daiquiri, go to a bar called erdbeer (http://erdbeerbar.de/)
that's it for now - if you have questions or are looking for something more specific just ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaiserchiefette

Last time I saw your face, you looked so familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 11:52:22 AM »

hej hej,
yeah all swedish tourists go to the fleamarket at mauerpark Wink - it's fun, but it's also supercrowded.
if you are interested in fabrics - especially cheap fabrics then you shouldnt miss the "turkish market" http://www.tuerkenmarkt.de/ it takes place in neukölln (a map is to be found on the website) every tuesday and friday. and it's real fun not just because u can buy jersey fabrics for 2euro/m.
if you want to go 2nd hand shopping i'd recommend several places that are connected to "kleidermarkt" http://www.kleidermarkt.de/

and as for the ice cream i'd always go to a place called "Glücklich am Park" on kastanienallee in prenzlauer berg. they also have amazing waffles... hm.

and yeah, strandbad mitte is cool... didnt know it still existed (ah i'm getting a little nostalgic).
but for going out and not paying soo much (respectively, as much as you can), you could go to a place called "Weinerei". After 8pm they have a nice selection of wines to choose from and as you go, you pay as much as you consider appropriate. (On veteranenstraße, close to zionskirchplatz in prenzlauer berg).

well, you will see, there are a lot of opportunities to spend your money and time. Smiley

Ha det bra i Berlin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gavagai
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010 10:23:43 AM »

Thank you both so much! I came back from Berlin a couple of days ago, and I followed a few of your tips.

We had huge icecreams at that place by Schlesisches Tor (I managed to eat about half of it!  Cheesy). Also we went to the Turkish market. I only bought a couple of metres of fabric though, and some serger thread. We spent a lot of time in Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain. Found some nice clothes in shops on Oranienstrasse. I also bought a waffle iron at Mediamarkt.  Cheesy Generally we had a lovely time! I am definitely going back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Save The Date Postcard
DIY Save The Date Photo Notecard
DIY Save The Date Calendar
How to Read a Knitting Patten
How to Understand Jupiter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...