A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,334
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hood for Medieval Garb  (Read 1973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onthinice
« on: May 14, 2005 05:53:44 PM »

My husband bought a wool fabric hood to wear with his medieval garb at events, but I wanted to knit my own.  This hood is from a pattern.  Since it is dickie style, I want to modify the pattern, so it will cover the top of the shoulders.  For now I will wear the dickie hood which is modeled by my wonderful hubby. 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 11:27:24 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
Keridiana
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005 07:31:59 PM »

That is awesome. My brother has a thing for harbor and such. Maybe I should make him one. Where are these patts available?  Though I think I can figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onthinice
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005 08:47:44 PM »

The pattern is called "Islandia", and I got it from here:  http://www.oknitting.com/patterns_fallwinter.htm  There are sleeves and tassels for the tip of the hood, but I opted for a less contemporary look.  The idea of the hood is pretty simple, but I found the pattern a little difficult to follow.  The designer assumed general knowledge that I do not have.  It seemed to me that some of the knitting and construction steps were missing.  Anyway, I got it all completed, and it gave me ideas for making up a hood my own way.  Hopefully I will finish the second hood fairly soon.

What is harbor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005 08:19:11 AM »

O
M
G

I love this. This would be perfect for checking cows at 3 in the morning when one is not even awake enough to button a shirt let alone find a jacket with a hood to prevent the wind from freezing one's ears off.

I love SCA and whatnot but husband doesn't so now I can combine practicality with my love of anything old and stay warm in the process.

Nice hubby pic btw Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
onthinice
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005 12:41:03 PM »

I have worn my dickie-hood at a couple of events, and it sure does wonders for taking the chill off your ears and shoulders.  Now if I can just get the hubby's hood finished.  I knitting it from wonderful sage green yarn from a thrift store sweater.  Luckily he will let me make garb for him as long as it gets him onto the archery and thrown weapons fields!

I know what you mean about wanting to wear ancient designs in modern life!  I am probably a nut, but I really like Elsabeth Lavold's "Niella" sweater and hood outfit http://carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product762.html but I cannot justify purchasing the book for only one pattern.  The pattern in the hood looks like it is supposed to mimic the look of studded leather armor.  I may have to inter-library loan this book  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
elleshellmo
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005 02:40:25 PM »

I heart knitted medival garb.  At Oregon Shakespeare festival they knit or crochet maybe all the chain mail out of leather cord and it looks so real.  Your hood looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cila
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005 09:22:14 PM »

Hehe...I should start knitting these...

I make chainmaille reproductions for SCA and other type events (I also make belly dancing belts and tops out of chainmaille.)   A nice hood like that would be perfect to go underneath one of my handcrafted chainmaille coifs.  Tongue

IDK...Maybe I should ask them to start a chainmaille section on Craftster.  LOL  Although I don't know how many people consider it a craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onthinice
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005 05:31:25 AM »

Maille over a hood would make an awesome display!  My first one was quick to knit up since it was just two flat pieces sewn together.  I am fighting with my alterations to the pattern since I am trying to keep the stitch pattern going while I increase for the capelet around the shoulders.  Not all the stitches will match, but I am good with that anyway.

I just did a search in "Trinkets & Jewelry", and lots of chainmaille posts came up.  I have been wanting to learn how to make jewelry from maille, but I have not gotten around to it yet.  There was a fabulous necklace in the latest issue of Bead & Button with a captured pearl maille necklace...maybe it is time for me to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls
How To Draw Yoroi From Naruto
How to Draw Kid Goku
How to Paint HBK Shawn Michaels
Latest Blog Articles
I Scream, You Scream...
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...